Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 202631 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #660 on: May 22, 2014, 10:12:37 pm »
The obvious answer is for Arriva to employ more staff and man the station from 06:00hrs to 22:00hrs in line with Network Rail's staff at the signalbox

Isn’t the signal box scheduled to disappear soon?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #661 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »
All the Station facilities, including the Toilets, get locked up at 3pm weekdays. This is because there is only one member of staff, who works 8-3pm (I think).

Crazy to think £5m was spent on the Station, yet there's no money to employ even one person there all day afterwards...

I mentioned all this on this very thread, when Big Murph was still here.  There were no replies, denials or rebuttals, in fact no comments of any kind.  So why is everyone so surprised now?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #662 on: May 23, 2014, 12:07:27 pm »
They will be alright until 3.45pm on a Saturday.

You will often find it is also the case on Mostyn Broadway Coach Park for many daytrippers later in the day when Cafe Cais is shut.

And they want have to worry about Sundays as there is no bloody trains at all to wait for!

I'd rather be in a rundown station waiting for a train to arrive than a plush 5 million station with no trains in it.  &shake&

For your information the Sunday service started over a month ago!

So they are $thanx$ - About time too!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »
Everything is shut on a Sunday including the toilets.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #664 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:36 pm »
Everything is shut on a Sunday including the toilets.

So, several hundred visitors (hopefully), trudge back to the train station,  full of beer or coffee, probably wet and cold from the lousy weather.   Then, they can't even have a wazz before they are shipped out?    A disgrace.

They can dash back into the town, and search fruitlessly for a free toilet.... and even if they find one, they are running the risk of missing their train!      What does that sign say??   ''LLANDUDNO WELCOMES YOU''

ARE WE SURE ABOUT THAT???
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #665 on: May 25, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »
At the quarry meeting CCBC said Llandudno is important to tourism for the borough,then they should try and prove it

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #666 on: May 25, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
There are signs in two windows of the Neville advertising free use of their toilets as per Llandudno Town Council’s initiative but I doubt if any visitor would be able to read the signs from the railway station.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:36 pm »
There are signs in two windows of the Neville advertising free use of their toilets as per Llandudno Town Council’s initiative but I doubt if any visitor would be able to read the signs from the railway station.

Having visited the loos in The Nev, (whilst playing darts there), if any visitors to the town DID avail themselves of that kind offer, then I am sure that they might not return to the town at all!

The provision, (or lack of) of basic toilet facilities is an absolute scandal.  Llandudno is not alone in this, but it is a very poor situation.

Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2014, 07:14:11 am »
Fair comment, Fester, but to benefit visitors it would be helpful to see a notice somewhere at the railway station saying where the nearest toilets are situated when theirs are closed.

Another notice displaying the opening hours for each day of the week for when the booking office and toilets are actually open would also be helpful to customers.

The good news is there is now a machine in the open area where you one collect tickets pre-booked online. The nearest one before was at Llandudno Junction.

There is still no sign of the old benches which Big Murph said would be back by the end of April.

Am I correct in my observation that there is no longer a taxi rank at the railway station and the taxi rank is situated in Vaughan Street alongside the Neville together with a bus stop in an odd position?

In its place at the railway station is a designated area for taxis and the general public to drop off (not pick up) passengers.

Immediately outside the station is probably the largest bus shelter in Llandudno and the surrounding area which could have been put to far better use outside Greggs in Mostyn Street.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »
Fair comment, Fester, but to benefit visitors it would be helpful to see a notice somewhere at the railway station saying where the nearest toilets are situated when theirs are closed.

Another notice displaying the opening hours for each day of the week for when the booking office and toilets are actually open would also be helpful to customers.

Ah Bri, that sounds too much like common sense or good management to me.  Therefore it will never happen.
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »

Ah Bri, that sounds too much like common sense or good management to me.  Therefore it will never happen.

Surely they can just wait a few minutes & use the toilet on the train?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »
Good point, SDQ.

I guess it depends how desperate one is.

While I am on a roll with my moan about the new railway station, I had a look earlier at the new car park.

I believe the sign displaying the parking charges ought to have its font size doubled in size and moved 100 yards forward to be near the entrance so motorists can see exactly what the charges are.

Whilst I was there a shop worker arrived and paid £1, because it is bank holiday, to park there for up to 12 hours.

There is another sign displayed in the car park which says it is cheaper to park if you telephone an 0845 number and pay by card.

I cannot understand how that can be true because one would obviously have to use a mobile phone to telephone and it normally costs between 14p – 41p per minute to phone an 0845 number.

It is quite possible the cost of the telephone call alone could cost more than the parking charge paying by cash.

Finally, I was expecting a much better transport hub than that now built.

I am very surprised there is no taxi rank at the railway station leaving taxis to either park and wait in an area designated for 'taxis and cars to drop off' or alternatively, use a taxi rank alongside the Neville in Vaughan Street about 100 yards away.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #672 on: May 27, 2014, 11:26:51 am »

Surely they can just wait a few minutes & use the toilet on the train?

Not whilst it is standing in the station !!!! ;D :o--or am I showing my age? :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #673 on: May 27, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »
I'm also wondering which buses will be using the two new bus stops outside the Station?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #674 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:48 pm »
Nem, I seem to remember it was alright to use the toilet but not alright to flush it while the train was stationary but I do not know what the rules are today.

DaveR, it is surprising how many bus routes are served by the bus stop immediately outside the station although how many passengers get on or off there is another good question.

I think it needs promoting better to encourage more to use it.

I guess if a second bus arrives when one bus stop is occupied then it can always use the spare bus stop although I believe the space could be put to better use as a taxi rank.

The bus stop on the other side of the road is next to a traffic island in the road and is alongside the Neville. I doubt if any cars can pass a bus when it has stopped there.