Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 202687 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #510 on: November 19, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »
"An interesting note is that Cae Mawr sidings, on the 'down' side of the line outside Llandudno station, have been cleared of vegetation and will be back in use by Spring 2014. Apparently the crossover between platforms 1 and 2 which allow locomotives to be released from arriving trains is now unserviceable and will also not be compatible with planned new signalling systems. Excursion Trains etc. will be stabled in the sidings and locos will be able to run-round trains there as happened in the past."

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1311a.htm

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #511 on: November 20, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »
What, is the point of all this work on a station that is unoperable on 50% of the weekend!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #512 on: November 20, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »
DaveR a straight question. How on earth do u possibly manage to keep your eye on all these little nuggets of information? I never realised u were a Train buff, I should think photography,forums, internet, beer drinking, local issues, etc etc etc was enough for anyone. Oh, and looking after Fester as well

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #513 on: November 20, 2013, 04:59:51 pm »
"An interesting note is that Cae Mawr sidings, on the 'down' side of the line outside Llandudno station, have been cleared of vegetation and will be back in use by Spring 2014. Apparently the crossover between platforms 1 and 2 which allow locomotives to be released from arriving trains is now unserviceable and will also not be compatible with planned new signalling systems. Excursion Trains etc. will be stabled in the sidings and locos will be able to run-round trains there as happened in the past."

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1311a.htm

I wasn't sure if I could mention this but it's obviously in the public domain. As well as the above they will also be removing what is left of the Up Sidings as well, they've already built a GSM(R) location cabin on part of it opposite the signalbox.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #514 on: November 20, 2013, 05:08:59 pm »
Err , what's a gsm(r) location cabin? O k I know what a cabin is. But don't baffle us all with this tech stuff, especially as u r not too sure whether or not it's in the public dormain. I wouldn't worry too much, I reckon around 99 per cent of the public wouldn't have a clue what u r writing about

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2013, 05:23:21 pm »
GSM-R: Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »
DaveR a straight question. How on earth do u possibly manage to keep your eye on all these little nuggets of information? I never realised u were a Train buff, I should think photography,forums, internet, beer drinking, local issues, etc etc etc was enough for anyone. Oh, and looking after Fester as well
Just happened to spot it, Mike!  ;D

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #517 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:12 pm »
What, is the point of all this work on a station that is unoperable on 50% of the weekend!
why is it inoperable on 50%. Of weekend?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #518 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »
why is it inoperable on 50%. Of weekend?

Because it isn't open on a Sunday.
They used to at least have a Blaneu train on a Sunday so you could get to and from Junction and change there but that has dissapeared.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #519 on: November 21, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »
Closed in the winter months but only the winter.

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:03 pm »
It is a strange situation at the station on Sundays when we have had to work the amount of people who turn up expecting to get a train is surprising, the situation should be better when we finish at the station when the bus stop has been constructed, at least people will know were the bus stop is to get out of town at present there is no information at the station letting people know we're they should go to get a bus.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #521 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:12 am »
Regular Sunday services ended in the early 1970s, now they operate May - September - the actual dates vary according to when the new timetable comes in. Regrettably the summer Sunday service is now just a shuttle to/from the Junction (except for two Blaenau services) which is not good for day trippers. The restoration of the old Cae Mawr sidings is a very positive step and will enable charter trains to be stabled without taking up platform space or having to go elsewhere.  Thinking about it there are not many locations with adequate sidings nowadays.  I just hope they keep on top of the weeds and saplings!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »
 I must admit I am, to say the least, surprised. Probably better described as gob smacked.

I had no idea. Not the faintest. That no trains ran from Llandudno on a Sunday.

Seeing as I am a more or less local, grew up within five miles, what chance has the stray visitor got?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »
Me too Mike and I'm old enough to remember the Station at it's best and sad to see that it has been allowed to become an eyesore.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:32 am »
I always find it odd that so much money gets spent on capital projects like the station refurbishment, but so little on providing better & more frequent services.

The Conwy Valley line is a case in point. Over £8m has been spent on repairing damage caused by flooding etc over the past decade or so, all for a little 2 carriage train to go up and down maybe 3 times a day. An hourly daytime service starting/ending in Llandudno (which would, of course, require an extra train) should be a firm aspiration in the next Franchise negotiation.