Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 202609 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »
You see there was me being naive again and assuming we were going to have a brand spanking new, well designed transport hub.  But looks as if it's the old station with a few plates of glass,boring but then I suppose anything is better than what we have now.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2012, 07:27:29 am »
I have just asked the question on the railforum how much it would cost for a turntable and would it be feasable,let you know the answers.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2012, 08:49:41 am »
I have just asked the question on the railforum how much it would cost for a turntable and would it be feasable,let you know the answers.
Wrex, the idea that Network Rail would install a turntable in the 21st Century would make them the laughing stock of the entire railway world. Never, never, never in a million years would it ever happen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2012, 08:50:12 am »
You see there was me being naive again and assuming we were going to have a brand spanking new, well designed transport hub.  But looks as if it's the old station with a few plates of glass,boring but then I suppose anything is better than what we have now.
It will look a bit like the redesign of Chester station, a mix of old and new.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: December 13, 2012, 02:06:50 pm »
The disused tracks have now been lifted at Platform 4 & 5 of the Station, they are being removed as part of the renovation scheme.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:42 pm »
Not much in this for North Wales:  &shake&

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20941072

Electrification from Severn Tunnel to Swansea by December 2018
Start of electrification work on the Cardiff and valleys network - scheduled for completion in early part of 2019 to 2024 period
Re-signalling: Newport (two phases complete, third stage planned for 2017); Cardiff area until 2015; Newport to Shrewsbury by 2017; Chester to Llandudno in 2015; Swansea (ahead of electrification)
New platforms at Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street, Caerphilly, Barry, Tir-phil and Pontypridd
South side entrance at Cardiff Central and main entrance at Cardiff Queen Street will be improved
The Welsh government funded north - south Wales journey improvement project to be completed by 2015
Major refurbishment of the metallic spans of Barmouth Bridge
Station improvements, including refurbishment of Holyhead station
350km of track to be renewed or refurbished
Renewing or refurbishing 480 sets of points
SOURCE: Network Rail

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2013, 07:42:45 am »
Nice new sign and pictures outside the station,but there is no sign of any work being done this year yet.When was Holyhead last re-developed,im sure it was;nt that long ago.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #397 on: January 10, 2013, 04:33:24 pm »
wrex - I had a look earlier today.  There's more than one sign and one includes a timetable of the various stages of the work.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #398 on: January 10, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
Nice new sign and pictures outside the station,but there is no sign of any work being done this year yet.When was Holyhead last re-developed,im sure it was;nt that long ago.

When I spoke to the foreman of the contractors in October he said they would resume work in February to give Network Rail plenty of time to lift the track in platforms 4 & 5 so this break in operations is all part of the master plan.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: January 10, 2013, 05:50:47 pm »
I see Rhyl Railway Station is being refurbished, as well. It was almost completely rebuilt not that many years ago.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »

When I spoke to the foreman of the contractors in October he said they would resume work in February to give Network Rail plenty of time to lift the track in platforms 4 & 5 so this break in operations is all part of the master plan.

The contractors will resume work next week, the first job is to drop platforms 4 & 5 down to track level in preparation of turning that area into the car park.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:51 pm »
Thanks for the info, SDQ  $good$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #402 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:12 pm »
Forgot to mention platform 3 will be closed (probably from Wednesday) for the duration of this work so all trains will then depart from platform 2 except the Blaenau Ffestiniog service which will still be from platform 1.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
Do they really need 3 platforms anyway? I would have thought 2 would have been sufficient even if services are improved?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #404 on: February 01, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
Do they really need 3 platforms anyway? I would have thought 2 would have been sufficient even if services are improved?

Not with the present services but I have had times over the years where all 3 have been occupied & depending on what time they're running in may happen with Wrex's specials on the Saturday of the Extravaganza.
Valar Morghulis