Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 202581 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »
I've said it before, the amount of trains using the North Wales coast at present would make it virtually impossible to put a business case forward with regard to electrification. Whilst it will ultimately put me on the dole the re-signalling could possibly improve delays caused by services caught behind late running trains, but this doesn't happen that often to be honest. In the main the trains serving North Wales are very reliable and delays are usually caused by problems the other side of Chester and once the trains come down the coast they either lose no more time or occasionally catch a few minutes back.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »
SDQ has makes a good point.  At the moment we have one operator whose journeys involve travel along an electrified line. Around half a dozen a day each way.  The bulk of the services are provided by Arriva whose trains would not be electric as they go long distances where there are no electrified lines eg down the Marches route. So the business case becomes even weaker. The best electrification scheme would arugably be that between Bidston and Wrexham.  That would enable through running from Wrexham to Liverpool and so no change at Bidston (and missed connections if late running).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:22 pm »
Indeed, the idea of electrification for North Wales coast line is headline grabbing politician nonsense. They'd be better off spending some money on buying more carriages for each of the trains currently operating along the line, to increase capacity.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #363 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:26 am »
We got the A55 (paid for by the EEC) so that Irish road traffic could be connected to the UK's motorway network. Once the West Coast main line is electrified the train operator, whoever that might turn out to be, will still need to provide a direct service between London and Holyhead. They won't want to do that with a Diesel service because of costs and speed constraints.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2012, 06:55:19 am »
I put the question on the Railforum the other day,anybody know anything about the Llandudno development,had a few replies,did not mean anything to me but worth a look.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2012, 07:11:23 am »
When you go on Rail forums uk click infrastructure,there are 7 replies,the last one says the work on platform 4 and 5 will commence in January,this will be phase one to construct the car park hence the new build after that.DaveR you will have to show me how to transfer items,im like a dinosaur with computers and spelling.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2012, 07:56:25 am »
From the Rail forums:

The current "delay" was caused because it was to be done using in part European money. ATW were to manage the project, however there is a clause in the ERDF funding that the investment must be "in perpetuity" something a UK rail franchise clearly cannot guarantee! Its due to take place next year as they have at long last found someone else willing to lead i believe the north wales transport consortia TAITH. This problem has hit the entire Welsh NSIP scheme including Aberystwyth though why it wasn't clocked at the start and why its taken so long to sort i don't know.

Thank you for this excellent summation of matters. As you say, the Welsh NSIP scheme has been a victim of the lack of "implications understanding" by those who were expected to have been fully aware of these at the time of the first stages, then of the subsequent happenings.

Gareth is correct,The local elected A,M for Aberconwy Janet Finch Saunders is playing hell about the entire matter, and quiet right too, a total mess that those on huge salaries who were paid to do this job in the public sector should be brought to book, Almost like WCML with only VT realising what the small print meant.

The removal of the disused Platform 4/5 and redundant track will commence in Jan2013 with the construction of the new car par
k in its place following on. This constitutes Phase One with the remainder of the station refurbishment and new build after that.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
market
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2012, 02:24:14 pm »
Is it time to re-think Mr Dones application to hold a market on his land next to the railway station.We all remember how busy Abergele used to be on a Sunday.just think how busy town would be,it would generate thousands into the local economy.The tories where the biggest objectors on the town council,maybe the new lot may think of the town this time.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »
Instead - how about getting some of the empty shops operating?   All markets do is take business away from the shop-keepers who pay rent and rates all year and keep going serving the community come rain or shine, day in day out, in good times and in bad!   WWW  WWW  WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2012, 01:35:53 am »
It has been over 5 years since I last visited LLandudno.
Just seen a photo of LLandudno station in the latest edition of Rail magazine taken on August 12.
Say I am shocked is an understatement.
All very sad.
If the people who are running the town cared it would never have got into this state.
Perhaps thier priorities are not the same as visitors.
As they say........1st impressions count.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2012, 08:26:31 am »
In fairness, many on this Forum, notably wrex, have been raising this issue for years; so has the Town Council; the Assembly Members (past and present) as well as Conwy CBC.  The plain facts are that the place is not owned locally; is immune to normal enforcement steps and needs significant external finance as part of a national scheme with part EU money.  The abesentee owners, Network Rail are apparently managing the project so questions as to why why and when should presumably go to them. I am sure Rail Magazine knows where they live.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »
Not sure this is all network rail is it,do they not own Newport station,which was done at no expense just for one golf tournament,bit of a joke really,were there is a will there;s a way,unless of course your Llandudno.

Offline mull

« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
Ah, Newport is in another country........SOUTH Wales.    $walesflag$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
Having put 3 questions on the Railforum,i have had 13 replies and over 700 views,so its great to get some views from around the country and hopefully bring a bit of attention to our plight

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:54 am »
Im so glad to be the be the first to announce the station project has started,contractors have pulled on site this morning,thank god.