Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 202589 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »
the Victorian stuff will be kept and re-furbished.

The world is split between those who think Victoriana should be kept at all costs, and those who'd prefer the ultra-modern option. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »
I was told the station was listed
& there had already been a
complaint over the part that
has already been demolished.
I don't know if it's true.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
the Victorian stuff will be kept and re-furbished.

The world is split between those who think Victoriana should be kept at all costs, and those who'd prefer the ultra-modern option.

As I'm a fan of Fred Dibnah, guess which side I'm on  :laugh:  Usually the Victorian architecture looks fabulous and the modern stuff (to my eyes) looks awful  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »
The problem is that modern buildings use cheap materials, date quickly  and just don't last. It also seems a colossal waste to demolish a building that could instead be refurbished for another 100 years use at less cost than constructing a new building that will last for maybe 30 years.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2012, 06:05:45 pm »
Listed Buildings in Llandudno, Conwy, Wales | British Listed Buildings http://bit.ly/yxLv1U

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2012, 06:09:00 pm »
Wasn't there a display of the proposals at Venue Cymru last year ?
No-one seems to have mentioned that the old named seats have been removed from the platforms and concourse.  The staff say they have been taken to be restored. Also a temporary bus stop has appeared alongside the Nevill so perhaps things are beginning to move.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2012, 06:19:28 pm »
 *&( $bounce$ $sunny$ :__)+ +}}{-- _))++ D) ZXZ Z**

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »
I hope the station is refurbished as it is a real turn off for visitors [and locals] but as far as booking offices are concerned they are in the main as dead as the Dodo.

When I worked for TfL I set up the Oyster Card help desk and that is intended and will move all ticket sales to on-line or selfservice. And don't think it can't coup with Off peak/Multi mode/ Travelcard Discounts etc. It can.

Newham Council were, even back then looking to use them for library cards etc and yes they can be incorporated into your mobile phone and the like.

Its the future only thing stopping it is the RMT, they all fear Bob Crow.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »
Bob Crow rightly points out the safety implications caused by there being no staff at railway stations making it an ideal place for muggings, assaults, vandalism, etc... 
Also the lack of a guard on driver only trains may have similar results never mind the fact that should the train be involved in a serious incident and the driver has to walk back up to a mile behind the train to lay emergency detonator protection, it would leave the train with no responsible member of staff on board which could result in passengers wandering on to the line & being hit by trains on other lines. Without people like Mr Crow these decisions would be made on a purely financial basis with no thought to safety and security.
Should you find yourself in one of these trains or stations in the future and a member of staff saves you from an assault or mugging who might otherwise not have been there owing to purely financial cuts you might have a different view of the situation.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:24 am »
The suggestion about booking offices could apply equally to places like Venue Cymru or even shops if everything was done on line.  There are still many people around who prefer to talk to a person when trying to get a good deal on a rail fare or journey.  The usual clerk at Llandudno, Peter,  is always very helpful and patient with older people.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:49 am »
Listed Buildings in Llandudno, Conwy, Wales | British Listed Buildings http://bit.ly/yxLv1U

Have just contacted these people-- the addresses do not correspond in any way with the location of the buildings.--Ours is listed 3 times and all 3 are wrong !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Sara

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »

The suggestion about booking offices could apply equally to places like Venue Cymru or even shops if everything was done on line.  There are still many people around who prefer to talk to a person when trying to get a good deal on a rail fare or journey.  The usual clerk at Llandudno, Peter,  is always very helpful and patient with older people.

I too have found Peter to be very pleasant and helpful. I have also been behind people in the queue who would try the patience of a saint, but he has remained calm and polite.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:31:31 pm by Ian »

Offline Sara

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »
I can't seem to get the hang of this quote thingy, my comment has ended up in the blue bit again  :-[

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
I can't seem to get the hang of this quote thingy, my comment has ended up in the blue bit again  :-[
Just make sure that your bit starts after the [ /quote ] bit and all will be well.  ;) ;D

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2012, 07:54:52 am »
This needs someone in Bodlondeb to let the people of Llandudno know what the hold up is and just explain,its a disgrace that that they treat us like idiots and have no respect for the tax payers.So the question is,you have recieved the 3.5 million from the Assembly so could you please let the peasants know why there is a hold up and stop trating the people who pay your wages like .....

/