Author Topic: Castell Tremlyd, Penlassoc and Gorad Maelgwyn.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Castell Tremlyd, Penlassoc and Gorad Maelgwyn.
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:09 am »
Last night was the lowest tide of the year as well as being a beautiful evening.

As a member of the History of Deganwy Group, at 6pm I joined over 20 others for a walk led by local historian, Nigel Bannerman, along the cycle path and towards West Shore.

Nigel explained the history of the roman fort, Castell Tremlyd, which was guarding the inlet known as Penlassoc.

Castell Tremlyd was situated on the site of where Black Rocks is now and Penlassoc flowed into the River Conway from across the course of the North Wales Golf Club.

An explanation was also provided about the local industry of pearl fishing and two individuals had been identified with this occupation on the 1851 census.

BTW, I recognised one young lady, Mary Ann Jones, as being my Great, Great Grandmother.

Just after sunset, our party walked down onto the sand and well past Black Rocks where Nigel pointed out the stone remains of Gorad Maelgwyn, which was a large old fishing weir, and situated about 300 metres west of the existing shoreline.

I could have quite happily stayed longer listening to Nigel sharing his knowledge with us but it was very important we returned to the car park before it went completely dark for our own safety.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Castell Tremlyd, Penlassoc and Gorad Maelgwyn.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:28:11 am »
There's a story about a Conwy Pearl having been sold for £80 many years ago to a gentleman who gave it to the Queen.  The pearl remains in the Royal Crown to this day.  How do you find out about these walks Bri I'd love to go on one.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »
PD, last night's walk was arranged by the History of Deganwy Group for its members.

Most monthly meetings are lectures although a couple of weeks ago the Group enjoyed a day trip visiting Ewloe Castle with a guided tour by CADW followed by a visit to the Flintshire Record Office to view the Mostyn Archives with a representative from Mostyn Estates.

For further details on membership, you will need to contact the Secretary on 01492 582012.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »
Thanks for posting that Bri, it sounds like a great and very interesting walk and I'm sorry I missed it.  Nigel Bannerman wrote an article on Castell Tremlyd which appeared in the NWWN some years ago and if my memory serves me right then Castell Tremlyd and the village only disappeared about 200 years ago due to coastal erosion.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »
That's very interesting, Bri.  It's fascinating looking down on the sandbanks from the Orme.  I'll now try to spot the places which you've mentioned. 

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:33:53 am »
Here is an artist’s reproduction done by Nigel’s very talented wife, Diane.

The view is from the ramparts of Deganwy Castle around 500 years ago.

Hopefully, you can see Castell Tremlyd.

The fish weir is that hook immediately to its left and was designed to catch fish when the tide went out.

Penlassoc entered the river just below here where you can see the boat.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:04:50 pm »
Thanks for posting that lovely picture, Bri.  Isn't it amazing how much the land can change in a relatively short time?