Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 354164 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Changing my forum name
« Reply #1275 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:47 pm »
I need to change my forum name fairly sharpish cos I getting loads and loads of abuse. Could you help me. Just Michael owen would be nice

Not loads of abuse Mike, just that idiot from the Orme....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #1276 on: June 30, 2019, 10:39:49 pm »
There are enough Goats up the Orme already without Billy Nomates acting the Goat.           Just feel sorry for the guy Mike as he obviously  has problems.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1277 on: July 17, 2019, 06:30:21 pm »
I've had my laptop fixed but that is the good news for me, the bad news is that I've lost everything that was on it.    The hard drive had gone and nothing was recoverable on it so that's about 10 years of photos and everything else lost just because I failed to back the system up

It's a hard lesson and my own fault, but I hope that everyone backs up their computer because I certainly will in future

My recent photos etc have been backed up and since it is an easy thing to do I'll ensure that all my work is backed up regularly in future. 
It's easy to assume that everything will work for ever, but it doesn't as I found out to my cost.     The worst bit was losing  photos of my dog and that was hard to take in especially the puppy photos.      Sadly we also lost Marco yesterday which was unexpected but on the nicer side I did have a sim card that had some photos of him as a puppy and also I have been able to obtain some photos from ones that I have previously posted here on the forum so I'm grateful for that too

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1278 on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:08 pm »
One tip, Hugo. Back up to a HD of course, but it's also a good idea to have a separate drive which is air gapped and only connected every so often, and always after a complete virus check. We have hundreds of hours of family video and photos and they're backed up to three different HDs plus two more that are air gapped.  Finally, I give the kids copies every so often so there are copies off the premises.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1279 on: July 17, 2019, 07:22:01 pm »
That's good advice Ian and that's what I am doing now.   I only have the one HD which I will attach at certain times so I'll be unlucky if they both crash at the same time

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1280 on: July 17, 2019, 07:50:35 pm »
Hugo, sorry to hear about Marco, I noticed you mentioned a recent vet visit, and I did wonder how he was, sorry to hear the sad news.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1281 on: July 17, 2019, 08:42:52 pm »
So sorry to hear about Marco real part of the family hope he didn't suffer.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1282 on: July 18, 2019, 07:28:53 am »
Thanks very much Steve and Norman for your thoughts.     He had a scan on Friday and we had the blood tests late on Monday afternoon but each day we could see him deteriorating.   He had the later stages of aggressive leukaemia but thankfully he did not have any pain despite the other problems
I've attached a photo of him on Tuesday morning before he passed away,  he looks so well in it, but at least he is not suffering now     

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1283 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:34 am »
A lovely looking animal.  It's very hard to lose a dog.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1284 on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
Very sorry to hear that news Hugo.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1285 on: July 18, 2019, 01:34:27 pm »
Hugo & family I'm so very sorry to hear Marco has passed away. What a handsome boy he was right up to the end, Bless him.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1286 on: July 18, 2019, 01:38:18 pm »
Thank you very much ME and I'm so pleased that you stopped that time in Pen Y Bryn Road when I was walking Marco. and we had a nice chat then

Thanks Meleri, he was a handsome dog and he knew it.   It's a bit raw at the moment but they say time will help

Offline hollins

« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2019, 05:24:07 pm »
Very sorry to hear about your dog Hugo. I also remember meeting you and him. Pleased you managed to rescue some photos though, nice memories.

Offline mull

« Reply #1288 on: July 18, 2019, 09:14:57 pm »
Hi Hugo, Sorry to hear about Marco I know how much part of the family they become.
You will have some good memories.
Have a smile when your tramping the sandhills  outside the Gogarth Abbey, that was.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1289 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:06 am »
Thanks Hollins and Mull for your kind words.    Here's another photo of Marco on the sandhills, I think that he must have been  looking for the cycle track      ;D