Author Topic: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno  (Read 140319 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:15 pm »
'Golden Years of Music Hall' at the Grand Theatre in 1979:

[smg id=3277]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2014, 07:45:35 am »
:-)))   It's because Dave is calling the image from the media library and that's the problem. You can see all the images which are simply attached using the 'usual' method, but Dave and I both upload images to the Aeva system on here, then call them, because that allows for greater flexibility. I suspect the problem is probably a permission issue in the Aeva gallery section. I'll try to sort it this weekend.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2014, 08:05:19 am »
Thanks Ian, does anyone else have the same problem I wonder?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »
Thanks Ian, does anyone else have the same problem I wonder?

What you need I guess is someone using the same set-up as you.
Are you using a PC, Laptop, Tablet?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:07 pm »
Usually an iPad.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:06 pm »
There's a very interesting article about Llandudno's theatres over on the Arthur Lloyd website, well worth a read:
http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/LlandudnoTheatres.htm

thanks for the link, its enabled me to find a programme with my great grandfathers name on it, J southworth trombone and euphonium   lol  have enjoyed reading this  interesting thread.

Offline lizcj

« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:49 am »
I hate that Sunday Times article with a passion! Let me be clear here, Sal Thomas is my Nanna, the husband mentioned was my Grandad,  John Edgar Thomas, the article implies that she did all the work in the Floral, when in fact my Grandad did all the prep and  my abiding memory of them living there was of him in the kitchen. He was not into the showbusiness side of things and left front of house to my Nanna, who revelled in it.
 He would usually escape to the RA club in the evening, meeting up with his friends, real Llandudno people who didn't fit the image my Nanna liked to portray. Rant over.

craigollerton

« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2014, 02:47:57 pm »
I'm pleased to announce that, after a long campaign on this Forum (dating back to the Craig Ollerton Llandudno Local forum days), a tangible memorial to 'Mr. Llandudno' Alex Munro is now finally in place. Street signs (covered up at the moment) are in place at the bottom and top of the road stretching from the Grand Hotel to Happy Valley and this stretch of road will be named 'Alex Munro Way'. A worthy tribute to a man who devoted so much of his life to providing live entertainment in Llandudno for many years.

Thanks must go to Cllr. Phillip Evans and Llandudno Town Council for their efforts in renaming this road.

Hi Dave, just got round to reading this article. It is nice the seed of an idea from the Llandudno Local days has came to fruit after I spotted the absent street name during my time at The Local. I recall having an inaugural conversation with Cllr. Evans some years ago about the names which were suggested at the time, and I can only thank you Dave for following this through. I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to someone who gave so much to the town.

http://tvconwy.net/alex-munro-way/

craigollerton

« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »
I am wondering Dave if you have the skills to expand the Wikipedia article further? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Munro_(comedian) I am sure much there is more which could be said than as it stands presently.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »
I am wondering Dave if you have the skills to expand the Wikipedia article further? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Munro_(comedian) I am sure much there is more which could be said than as it stands presently.
You're right, it could be expanded considerably. I'm pretty busy at the moment (just moved house), maybe it's a little project for those dark Winter months?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »
Hi Craig.   
           I have tried researching a bit more about Alex, but, could find nothing new, still trying...I did however try his earlier history in Scotland, should explain I was born in Glasgow, but my father was from Rhos, so I am connected to both areas, and I remember seeing Alex many times.
           I have a friend in Glasgow, Bob Bain, who runs the site for the old Empire theatre, and has a vast knowledge and collection of material on past entertainers, when I asked about Alex, he said he had visited the local theatres a few years ago, and had been in touch with his granddaughter, also that he was a good friend of the late Billy Crocket who worked with Alex for many years, when Billy died he gave Bob photos and videos of them both. Bob is recovering from an operation, but, will let me know what he has, soon as he can, so here's hoping.                                                           

craigollerton

« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:39 pm »
Great stuff Steve.

The problem with Wikipedia can be those who moderate it half the time, any citations generally need source references from reliable sources as opposed to here'say. Books are always a good starting point, but there are none that I am aware of concerning him. Any materials which you can source will certainly be helpful toward building up the article further, and I am sure Dave will be able to help you further with that. May we hope Bob has a full recovery and look forward to seeing those materials soon.

The street sign is a great start, but there is plenty more which can be done including updating the Wikipedia page. I had also suggested in the past a bust of some kind. Over to Dave, could we table a question to the town council to approach Nick Elphick on Builders Street, a highly reputed local sculptor who would have no trouble creating a sizeable bust statue, also question the possibility of reviving the amphitheatre space, as an open-air community theatre perhaps. It could provide a commercial boost to the adjacent cafeteria whilst benefiting the general tourism package Llandudno has to offer.

Some suggestions anyway.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:27 pm »
Hi Craig, nice to see you on the Forum again.
Whilst I appreciate the gesture of a Bust to AM, I think it would not be too long before every man and his dog would be wanting other memorials all over the town.  If the Pier pavilion site was developed that would be an ideal location but otherwise I don't know where one could place such a memorial.   Good luck to the cause!
 Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

craigollerton

« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:59 am »
Hi Craig, nice to see you on the Forum again.
Whilst I appreciate the gesture of a Bust to AM, I think it would not be too long before every man and his dog would be wanting other memorials all over the town.  If the Pier pavilion site was developed that would be an ideal location but otherwise I don't know where one could place such a memorial.   Good luck to the cause!
 Z**

Hi Yorkie,

Thankyou. Having studied local and social history for many years, he is one figure I am very passionate about. We can all live in hopes about the pavilion, but for this post I am not wasting any breath on the subject here.

As for you thinking it would not be too long before every man and his dog would be wanting other memorials all over the town, that might well be so, but why not Alex? Llandudno isn't particularly overrun with statues for starters (dismissing the Alice sculptures), and why not celebrate some of the towns greats as do other towns similarly, and by doing so tell the story of the town at the same time. As for placement, perhaps at the top of the steps, or integrated as part of my proposed community open-air theatre. Just think, Tudno FM could even broadcast from there in the summer...

I am thinking something along the lines of the H M Stanley Statue in Denbigh High Street, by Nick Elphick, Llandudno...
http://nickelphicksculpture.co.uk/hm-stanley/

Dave, was there any talk with Cllr. Evans re: any future exhibit for Alex at the local museum?