Author Topic: Cinemas of Llandudno  (Read 53940 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cinemas of Llandudno
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2022, 10:24:21 am »
.  I can recall going to the old Prince's Cinema (later Farm Foods and HMV) to see a model railway layout. This would be in the mid 1950s when I think it must have ceased to be a cinema as the front stalls had been removed for the layout.

That model railway layout was after the Princess cinema closed and it was the best I've ever seen.     If my memory serves me right I think that they even had a working cable car to go up the mountain scenery

Offline Dave

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 09:53:31 pm »
The cinema in Rhos was, if I recall correctly, named the Playhouse. The double seats went down the side walls all the way to the front I think.
At one stage during the 60's there were just two cinemas in Colwyn Bay, the Wedgwood and the Princess. The Odeon was derelict but was later renovated and re-opened in the late 70's early 80's.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2022, 12:05:50 pm »
Yes remember them well Dave. I think the Wedgewood was called the Arcadia until the late 60s. It had a grand frontage but I always felt the Princess had the better interior.  Does anyone else recall that intermission music in that period always seemed to include the theme from the film "Summer Place" (1959).  I feel quite nostalgic when I hear it played these days!

Rhos Playhouse was very much a family concern headed by a local gent called George Lee who was quite often in the box office himself. He and his wife retired to Llandudno though he died a few years ago.