Author Topic: Football  (Read 244161 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Football
« Reply #360 on: November 29, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
Hooray, one nil but watch them lose when I can watch it live!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #361 on: November 29, 2014, 04:01:51 pm »
Rooney 2-0.  ;)

Offline hollins

« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2014, 04:05:02 pm »
Good goal too!  :)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #363 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:58 am »
Michael Garcia's resignation statement

After a long battle with Fifa over their refusal to publish his report on corruption in World Cup bids, Michael Garcia has walked out from his role as independent ethics investigator

Michael Garcia's resignation statement followed a final refusal from Fifa to publish details of his enquiry

"For the first two years after my July 2012 appointment as independent Chairman of the FIFA Ethics Committee’s Investigatory Chamber, I felt that the Ethics Committee was making real progress in advancing ethics enforcement at FIFA. In recent months, that changed.

On September 5, 2014, I and Cornel Borbely, the Deputy Chair of the Investigatory Chamber, sent a “Report on the Inquiry into the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cup Bidding Process” (the “Report”) to the Fifa Ethics Committee’s Adjudicatory Chamber. The Report identified serious and wide-ranging issues with the bidding and selection process. (Mr. Borbely also filed separate reports from his inquiries into the activities of the bid teams from Russia and the United States.)

Soon after, the Chairman of the Adjudicatory Chamber, Hans-Joachim Eckert, indicated publicly that only limited information from the Report would be made public. Concerned that insufficient transparency would not serve Fifa’s interests, I issued a public statement calling on the Fifa Executive Committee to authorize the appropriate publication of the Report. The Executive Committee took no action on this subject during its September 2014 meetings — other than to refer me to the Fifa Disciplinary Committee for allegedly violating the Code of Ethics through my public comments, namely, my public request that the Executive Committee authorize appropriate publication of the Report and the on-the-record statement Mr. Borbely and I released concerning watches given to certain football officials. The Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee, Claudio Sulser, ultimately rejected the Executive Committee’s referral.

On November 13, 2014, Mr. Eckert issued a 42-page “Statement of the Chairman of the Adjudicatory Chamber of the Fifa Ethics Committee on the Report on the Inquiry into the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cup Bidding Process prepared by the Investigatory Chamber of the Fifa Ethics Committee” (the “Eckert Decision”). In a cover letter, Mr. Eckert described the statement as his “findings, including certain descriptions of the contents of the Investigatory Chamber’s report.”

The issues raised by Mr. Eckert’s selection and omission of material from the Report, and his additional comments, went far beyond the initial transparency concerns. As my public statement at the time explained, the Eckert Decision contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of facts and conclusions.” Accordingly, I appealed.

A brief I filed with the Fifa Appeal Committee on November 24, 2014, outlined the Eckert Decision’s most serious failings. Among other points, the brief explained why, when viewed in the context of the Report it purported to summarize, no principled approach could justify the Eckert Decision’s edits, omissions, and additions.

Yesterday’s decision by the Appeal Committee declined to address these points. Instead, the Appeal Committee rejected my appeal on procedural grounds, concluding that “it is not necessary for the Fifa Appeals Committee to enter into considerations on the substance of the appeal.” The Appeal Committee found that the Eckert Decision was “merely a personal opinion on the Report” and had “no legally binding effect whatsoever.” It reached this conclusion even though, under Article 36 of the Code of Ethics, only “final decisions” may be made public, as the Eckert Decision, which was published on Fifa’s website, obviously was. The Appeal Committee also overlooked the Eckert Decision’s self-described “findings,” including one stating that “the evaluation of the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cups bidding process is closed for the Fifa Ethics Committee.” Fifa President Blatter recently reaffirmed that “finding” during an interview published by Fifa, stating: “Furthermore, there is no change to Judge Eckert’s statement that the investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cups is concluded.”

I disagree with the Appeal Committee’s decision.

It now appears that, at least for the foreseeable future, the Eckert Decision will stand as the final word on the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cup bidding process. While the Appeal Committee’s decision notes that further appeal may be taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, I have concluded that such a course of action would not be practicable in this case. No independent governance committee, investigator, or arbitration panel can change the culture of an organization. And while the November 13, 2014, Eckert Decision made me lose confidence in the independence of the Adjudicatory Chamber, it is the lack of leadership on these issues within Fifa that leads me to conclude that my role in this process is at an end.

Accordingly, effective today, December 17, 2014, I am resigning as independent Chairman of the Investigatory Chamber of the Fifa Ethics Committee."

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »
FRANK Sinclair has resigned as manager of Colwyn Bay Football Club after 23 months in-charge.

The 43-year-old relinquished his position following Sunday’s 5-0 defeat at the hands of Boston United, a result that leaves the Seagulls in 15th place in the Vanarama Conference North standings.
Sinclair said: “It’s a sad day for me because I feel a big part of this club and it has been a pleasure working here, but I just feel I’ve taken the team as far as I possibly can.

“I wanted to build on last season and finish in the top ten this year, but it has been very difficult because of the unexpected departure of so many players in the summer.

“I tried to get together a group as good as I could and then look to improve as we went along, but it has come to stage now where I think it is better for the club that they look at somebody else with new ideas and contacts to bring players to the football club.

“The big period for me was November when we didn’t get the points we needed to get us through a tough December and I knew then I was up against it.

“But I feel I can I walk away with my head held high because I’ve given it the best I possibly could.”

Also leaving the club is coach Ade Akinbiyi, and board members will be meeting on Monday to discuss a successor, with assistant boss Gus Williams likely to be given the role on a temporary basis.

Sinclair took charge for 95 games over a period spanning two years, while also appearing 71 times as a player, scoring eight goals.

His most memorable moment at the helm came at the end of the 2012/13 season, where he guided Bay to six wins in a row to avoid relegation.

“I’ve done some things right and some things wrong, but I am very proud that when I first took the job I was able to turn things round from a desperate situation to win six games in a row at the end of that season and avoid relegation,” added Sinclair.

“I’ve had some high moments in my career, but that is something I will remember for the rest of my life.”

“I would like to thank everybody behind the scenes at the club who have made my stay so enjoyable, from Shelley and her staff who make the food right through to the three chairman I have served under, Bob Paton, Dave Messom and Dave Titchiner, who have been superb."

The former Chelsea, Leicester City and Wrexham defender now plans to concentrate on his media career, but refused to rule out a return to coaching “at some point” in the future.

Colwyn Bay chairman Dave Tichiner, said: “To have someone of Frank’s celebrity status here, along with Ade, has been fantastic for the club and put us on the map in many ways.

“We thank them for all the work and effort they have put in.”

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
I watched Sinclair many times, as he played for Huddersfield Town after his Chelsea and Leicester days.
A very classy player, and hard as nails too.

Colwyn Bay FC will find it hard to recruit such a high profile, and experienced team as Sinclair and Akinbiyi ever again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2015, 04:53:44 am »
Cardiff City will probably sell more shirts this January than any other club.

Vincent Tan is a marketing genius.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:36 am »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #368 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
I watched Sinclair many times, as he played for Huddersfield Town after his Chelsea and Leicester days.
A very classy player, and hard as nails too.

Colwyn Bay FC will find it hard to recruit such a high profile, and experienced team as Sinclair and Akinbiyi ever again.

Given they have one of the worst attendance records in the league they don't deserve to recruit anyone of that standard. If people won't get of their collective arses and watch a local game then don't expect to have a good local team.

Sky sports has a lot to answer for. $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #369 on: February 06, 2015, 12:48:10 pm »
No words needed there Bri,  such a tragedy that I still remember very clearly and it was 57 years ago, so sad.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2015, 04:49:21 pm »
Bradford City 2  Sunderland 0

Another good win for Bradford, hope they get a good draw in the next round.      I'll be watching Preston V Utd on TV tonight but I don't think that there will be another giant killing result there.     Utd should be too strong for Preston but anything is possible in the FA Cup.

Offline hollins

« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:47 pm »
Bradford City 2  Sunderland 0
     Utd should be too strong for Preston but anything is possible in the FA Cup.

SHOULD being the operative word. I'm thinking 1st leg against Cambridge!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »
Hope that you enjoy watching the game wherever you are tonight.    I've got some bottles beside me so I'm looking forward to watching a good match .

FA Cup Draw for the next round is
Liverpool    v    Blackburn Rovers
Bradford City V     Reading
Preston North End or Utd   V  Arsenal
Aston Villa V    WBA

Offline hollins

« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
Uh oh.....bottles for you. Brandy for me.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2015, 09:08:39 pm »
Preston North End 1    Man Utd  1

Latest score,  Z**