Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 367756 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1410 on: June 25, 2022, 09:52:01 am »
They reduced the speed limit to 20mph in the city roads in Brighton some time ago. This was all very well but Sussex Police said they didn't have the resources to enforce it. In Dumfries area this 20mph limit has been brought in more recently. It is the same here as there is no attempt to enforce it. This means that all the efforts they make, new road markings, new road signs etc, are a total waste of time and money.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1411 on: June 25, 2022, 10:43:54 am »
I agree with you completely Helig, why go to all the trouble of making laws if you don't intend to enforce them.   This applies to other things apart from motoring such as litter, dog micro chipping and dog fouling.    There must be many other examples too

As for making laws banning parking cars on parts of a pavements it seems ridiculous.as there are existing laws banning cars from obstructing pavements but they are not enforced either.
Just imagine in some of our narrow streets if cars had to park entirely on the road only a bicycle would be able to get past the cars, it's getting to be a mad mad world

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1412 on: June 26, 2022, 05:50:03 pm »
Some won't be happy until we are driving along with a person carrying a red flag walking in front of us!

It will also not be as economical to drive along at <20mph in a low gear, as it is to drive at 30mph in a higher gear.

Speed reductions won't prevent bad driving.   I was driving from Bodelwyddan Hospital today and approached the roundabout to go over the A55 bridge to drive back to Colwyn Bay.  When I was about to cross the bridge a van on the inside nearly scraped the side of my car.
It turned out that the van had been close behind me from the Hospital and tried to over take me on the inside.
Luckily no contact was made but the NHS van driver should have known better.    I do feel sorry for any learner drivers now as the standard of driving on the roads nowadays is pretty poor

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1413 on: June 27, 2022, 04:30:08 pm »
Stretches of the A55 and Caernarfon bypass will shut for repairs this week
Drivers are being asked to be patient while the works are carried out

The Caernarfon bypass has had a few problems already in such a short time

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/stretches-a55-caernarfon-bypass-shut-24332166

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1414 on: July 27, 2022, 03:49:09 pm »
We already know that in 2023 Wales will be introducing a 20 mph speed limit on some residential roads, but what about cars parking on the pavement?       This has also been discussed by the Welsh Government so that may happen in the future 
Before they do that they should give some serious thought to the matter.
I was in Llandudno today and drove down Church Walks which as most locals know is a nightmare to park in.      If the parked cars on either side of the road did not park on the pavement then traffic would have difficulty driving down this busy street
One car, the dark blue one on the left hand side deserved the title " Bad parker of the week"  It was parked at an angle and the front end was jutting out about two feet. 
Later on I drove down Brookes Street and it was a nightmare,  I'm glad that it was day time and most of the cars had been driven off to work.   It must be extremely hard for the residents when all the cars are parked there at night

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1415 on: July 28, 2022, 05:28:04 pm »
Llandudno street cordoned off as air ambulance lands at incident
Norman Road has been blocked off while the incident is dealt with

There was another incident in Vaughan Street recently and it makes you wonder if a 20 mph speed limit would have prevented a serious injury to the pedestrians or is it just that the standard of driving is so poor that these accidents would happen whatever the speed limit was
I hope the injured party is not too badly hurt and presume that the driver of the vehicle would have been tested for drink or drugs as a matter of course.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-llandudno-street-cordoned-air-24614480

Offline DVT

« Reply #1416 on: July 28, 2022, 08:14:38 pm »
I don't know the cause of the accidents, but I have noticed, especially in Llandudno, that pedestrians often step out into the road without looking for cars.  When in town I do drive slowly but often I have had people step out from between parked cars without regard for the traffic - even had young women push child in pushchair out first.  Dash cam does record, my brakes are good and I'm not going quickly.  I don't want to be involved in any incident as I know I would be, initially at least, to blame due to the car I drive. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1417 on: July 29, 2022, 09:33:01 am »
I know what you mean DVT, as a driver you have to be aware of all eventualities especially people walking out from behind parked cars without looking for traffic
I remember many years ago when an old lady just stepped off the kerb right in front of me.  Luckily the weather was dry and I was not driving fast and my car was kept in good condition       I felt so sorry for the lady as she obviously had a fright but she couldn't stop apologising for what she had done.
I remember that incident so well because it happened on the West Shore after I had been digging in the sand for Lugworm.    The Lugworm went everywhere on the dash board, the seats etc
The incident in Norman Road shouldn't be speed related because there are many speed bumps along that road

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1418 on: July 29, 2022, 09:40:31 am »
This is a follow up to the incident in Norman Road yesterday
Man taken to hospital following reports person fell from window of property
An air ambulance crew was called to the emergency on Thursday afternoon

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-taken-hospital-following-reports-24615824

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1419 on: July 31, 2022, 07:02:22 pm »
Welsh council goes back to 30mph speed limit after traffic complaints   The council said it made the decision after listening to residents' concerns

Perhaps the Welsh Government may make a U turn on this 20 mph limit due to come into force in 2023?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-council-goes-back-30mph-24629720

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1420 on: September 05, 2022, 09:56:57 am »
REFURBISHMENT work to the Llandudno Junction Flyover has been postponed until 2023, Conwy County Borough Council has said.

The refurbishment plans to replace waterproofing, movement joints and drainage on the bridge, with the work on top of the bridge completed on June 23.

After the Council made revisions to the original plan, a second phase of work was planned for September this year, with a third phase set for 2023.

This has now been amended again, with the Council wishing to get all the remaining work done in April 2023, subject to funding.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20900891.work-llandudno-junction-flyover-pushed-back-2023/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1421 on: September 07, 2022, 10:00:46 am »
DRIVERS using the tramway on the Great Orme in Llandudno have been asked to adhere to signage on the Old Road.

The signage states ?Access Only?, and Police say this is only to be used by residents living on that road.

However, a ?flood? of traffic has built up from other drivers using the road, and has made the place ?dangerous? for pedestrians.

A North Wales Police West Conwy Coastal spokesperson said: ?It has been reported to us that a considerable volume of traffic use the Old Road on the Great Orme in Llandudno.

?The signage clearly state 'Access Only' - this is only to be used by the residents living on that road.

?We are aware that a number of local residents have been using Old Road as a short cut for years and most feel it is their right.

?In recent years, a trickle of vehicles has become a flood and it is now a dangerous place for pedestrians.

?The area will be monitored, please adhere to the signage that is there for everybody's safety.?         ref pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1422 on: September 08, 2022, 04:34:36 pm »
Road shut due to crash as drivers urged to avoid area
Conway Road in Llandudno Junction has been shut in both directions

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-road-shut-due-crash-24966938

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1423 on: September 09, 2022, 10:03:58 am »
Last night about midnight, I was driving up King's Drive in Colwyn Bay when I was approaching the cross roads with the Old Highway.
Just above the crossroads was a big sign "Police Slow" so I proceeded past the sign with caution when a dark clothed man ran into the road to stop me
It turned out that there had been a bad crash higher up the road and the Fire Service, ambulance and Police were on the scene so the road was actually blocked.    I took the diversion that the off duty Policeman suggested but the strange thing was that at the top of King's Drive there were no Police signs there whatsoever.     In fact I saw a car driving down the hill.
Anyway I hope that no one was seriously injured in the crash

Offline Dave

« Reply #1424 on: September 09, 2022, 03:17:17 pm »
Last night about midnight, I was driving up King's Drive in Colwyn Bay when I was approaching the cross roads with the Old Highway.
Just above the crossroads was a big sign "Police Slow" so I proceeded past the sign with caution when a dark clothed man ran into the road to stop me
It turned out that there had been a bad crash higher up the road and the Fire Service, ambulance and Police were on the scene so the road was actually blocked.    I took the diversion that the off duty Policeman suggested but the strange thing was that at the top of King's Drive there were no Police signs there whatsoever.     In fact I saw a car driving down the hill.
Anyway I hope that no one was seriously injured in the crash

That sounds a bit suspicious to me. If there was a police sign there there would normally be police around and a uniformed officer would be directing traffic I'd have thought?