The Local > Local News & Discussion

Roads in the area

<< < (2/332) > >>

Dave:

--- Quote from: DaveR on September 14, 2010, 11:58:46 am ---We've all done foolish things when we were young; it's in the nature of youths to take risks, ignore potential dangers and push things to the limit.
Looking back at that particular accident, it's difficult to see (short of upping the age from which you can drive) how it could have been prevented.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more, we have all done foolish things when we were younger, and maybe we still do. However, when it comes to cars, access to one is much easier than it was say, 30 years ago. Most families seem to have two cars so there is more chance there is one available for a sibling to borrow.

Some suggestions of regulations that could be imposed.

1) New driver plates which prevent carrying passengers unless they are accompanied by someone say, over 25.
2) Speed restrictions on any driver using new driver plates.
3) Punitive bans for anyone caught breaking new driver regulations including failing to display plates

A licence to drive is a desirable and valued item. The idea of losing it again should be enough to stop and make anyone think.
I also believe that reading case studies of accidents and getting prospective drivers to discuss or write about their conclusions of how that accident happened, who was to blame and what might have prevented it  might just get them thinking about the consequences of driving errors.

Incidentally, I have just returned from a walk around town and it struck me that there is far more effort put into policing parked cars than moving ones judging by the number of traffic wardens (I forget their new name) that are about.

Cymro:
I was just about to start a very similar thread when I found this.

I agree totally with Dave and from first hand experience I am not suprised that again there has been a tragedy. I work in Llandudno most evenings and drive a very unfashionable car, I sometimes stop at McDonalds on my way home and am subjected to the reckless and idiotic actions of the cretins that use the carpark at Mostyn Champneys as a race track. They also frequently decide to use the A470 stretch between Llandudno and Black Cat as a race track and most evenings I am overtaken by large groups of cars travelling in convoy at high speeds and very close to eachother.

It is obvious where they are and what they are doing and there are police about becuase I often get targeted for a general check and breath test, always passing. Why do the police not do anything?! It is totally stupid, if they were to put a few cars on that stretch on any given night un announced they would be able to catch and punish a good handful of these idiots in one go.

I feel totally frustrated that I am being stopped so often simply because I am driving a car from town at chucking out time while these idiots are literally getting away with murder. Maybe they see me as an easy target, I won't give any cheek, I'll just take what they say on board and go on my way. They then tick their box to say they've stopped someone without the hassle of confronting these packs of idiots.

To catch these boy racers would be like taking candy from a baby, it's time they did and threw the book at them. Otherwise local florists will be have roaring trade in the near furture and if/when it happens I just hope it's one of these nutters behind the wheel and not somebody innocently walking their dog or coming home from the pub.

norman08:
 it is nothing new i remember at least 40 years ago , a very bad accident in town [wont go in to detail] and another fatal one round the same time ,so we can,t say its the youngsters of today but yes something has to be done 

Cymro:
I should probably also point out that Ronnie Hughes has been in the paper blaming the road, suggesting that maybe a single lane would be safer. Lunacy! The road is totally safe, the speed limit is 40, but due to the long sweeping nature of the road I'm sure that even 50 would give you enough reaction time. Heaven knows what speed these nutters must have been doing to cause a fatality.

I suppose that's the culture these days, always somebody else to blame. Shame on them if they are still doing exactly the same thing tonight when I pass, if they don't learn now they never will.

Ian:
I agree;  there's nothing wrong with the road. It is simply the young driver mentality, I suspect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version