Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Financial matters

(1/135) > >>

Ian:
he UK's top tax man has refused to apologise after taking the wrong amount of tax from six million people.

Dave Hartnett, Permanent Secretary at her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, claimed media stories of blunders and IT failures were wrong.

And he warned those who owed £2,000 or more in back tax they would have just over three months to repay it in full. Speaking exclusively to Radio 4's Money Box programme, Mr Hartnett said: "I'm not sure I see a need to apologise."

He added: "I've read the papers, listened to the media and heard stories of HMRC blunders and IT failure - neither of those are true."

He said the 5.7 million letters that he would be sending out to taxpayers before Christmas were the result of a normal process of matching the tax deducted from each taxpayer with their circumstances. He confirmed that 1.4 million people would be told they had extra tax to pay. And he revealed that those who owed the most tax would have the least time to pay.
HMRC coding notice Some taxpayers can expect more letters and tax returns from HMRC in the coming months

"Those [who owe] more than £2,000… will be given an opportunity to pay based on a notice from us, or, failing that, they will be brought within self-assessment. People who enter self-assessment are expected to pay within three months and a little bit more."

Those owing below £2,000 will have the money deducted from their pay or pension over 12 months, or three years in cases of hardship. Mr Hartnett said that system would apply to "more than 80%" of those who owed money. But he defended the tighter deadline for the biggest bills.

"I think owing the most may actually mean they're earning the most… I think it's very unlikely that a low earner will owe us more than £2,000 as a result of the process we're going through."

Bellringer:
The apparent arrogance of some of these people at times defies belief!

HMRC appear to be a body which makes mistakes and then insists it is your and my fault!! Who else would get away with that one?

Bellringer:
Well what a surprise! His statement earlier has brought such a reaction that Mr Hartnett has now said he "is deeply sorry".
Speculation is that the Chancellor has 'leaned on him' - personally I think someone should have 'flattened him' and especially so if I get one of the promised letters.

DaveR:
HMRC are a law unto themselves, why don't we scrap them.  :D  ;D

Ian:

--- Quote ---personally I think someone should have 'flattened him' and especially so if I get one of the promised letters.
--- End quote ---
_))* _))*

In think quite a few will sympathise with that view, Stan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version