Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663381 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6945 on: March 29, 2016, 11:10:16 am »
Man in Little Orme fall flown to hospital

The man was near the top of the mountain...

Is the Little Orme really a mountain?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6946 on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:41 pm »
Not by any stretch of the imagination...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6947 on: March 29, 2016, 03:02:29 pm »
We parked at the Summit Car Park on the Orme over the weekend and I noticed that the Pay & Display machine was still broken - this on a Bank Holiday Weekend! How many months has it been broken for and how much revenue have CCBC lost as a result? Very poor management!  &shake&

There was no one on the toll gate for Marine Drive yesterday either.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6948 on: March 29, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »
It must have cost plenty in lost revenue. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6949 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
On the Great Orme, just below Black Gate, some additional double yellow lines were put down late last year to allow traffic to get up and down and particularly to avoid the log jam caused by the bus being unable to get up Ty Gwyn Rd.

However, things are as bad as ever, if not worse because people are completely ignoring them, (and parking all over them), and it appears that the traffic wardens are simply too lazy to walk up there to take a look.
Another well managed process!
Good point Fester. Let my rant commence!
The double yellow lines however unfortunately only come into force from the 1st of April which is I believe the date the trams are supposed to start from.
I have spent various times since the Tram came back early on line last week on the 19th of March in absolute wonderment at the stupidity of some drivers and parkers.
Just above the double yellow lines is a box junction which you are not supposed to enter unless your exit is clear. If there are cars stopped at the traffic lights coming up Ty Gwyn Road and cars parked on the double yellows down Ty Gwyn Road, then cars should not enter the box but they still do. Very often there are two cars in the box junction when the tram comes down the hill and can't get down Old Road.  The tram then continuously blows the  horn to ask them to move which they can't because other cars have stopped just behind them which then causes all the other cars to blow theirs in frustration. Any Easter serenity there might have been was well and truly gone by about 11:00 am on Easter Sunday until 5:30 when the trams stop. I've taken a note of the enforecement number.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6950 on: March 29, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »
You are spot on there Medz, I was driving down Ty Gwyn Road and had to stop at the lights.  When the lights changed to green the two cars in front of me at the lights drove off and immediately blocked the box junction.
I refused to move off as no vehicles were moving up or down and the delivery man behind me was tooting his horn and then winding his window down and swearing at me.
 In the end the idiot in the white van reversed and then overtook me and just added to the congestion problem.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6951 on: March 30, 2016, 12:44:37 pm »
When my wife and I were attempting to get down Ty Gwyn road on Easter Monday,  we got trapped just outside the box junction, by traffic coming up the road leaving absolutely no gap,  but the Tram loomed behind us and began hooting at us to get out of the way.
The only possible escape route was down Old Road,  but I wouldn't do that.

It was chaos, and it is getting worse... but it is entirely avoidable by simply stopping the parking on the double yellows. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6952 on: March 31, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »
Man in Little Orme fall flown to hospital
An elderly man was flown to hospital after falling on the Little Orme.
The man, 71, fell at about 3.45pm today and an air ambulance was requested due to his location.
He suffered a shoulder injury and was flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor for further treatment.
[/url]
Man who cracked skull in Little Orme fall on the mend
A 71-year-old man who suffered a fractured skull and broken shoulder after slipping on the Little Orme is recovering at home.
Dennis Walsh, a regular hiker in North Wales, took a nasty tumble near the top of the Llandudno mountainside while walking with his partner Barbara Kelly on Sunday afternoon.

His stepdaughter Lisa Clarke today praised kind hearted members of the public, emergency services and hospital staff who helped Mr Walsh from Lancashire.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-who-cracked-skull-little-11117601

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6953 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
A pleasure to see Mr and Mrs Gwynant on the pier today!  $walesflag$
Fester...

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6954 on: March 31, 2016, 03:32:17 pm »
Was at black gate this morning fester doesn't help the two cars parked outside their house just below the yellow boxes ,maybe better if they parked by prospect terrace ,

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6955 on: March 31, 2016, 04:02:43 pm »
A pleasure to see Mr and Mrs Gwynant on the pier today!  $walesflag$
A pleasure also to see you again,Sir! We had a stroll down to the end of the pier and back, taking advantage of the sunshine and were pleasantly surprised by the nice reconditioned kiosks at the Pier entrance and also to see that most of the memorial seats have been re-painted, as has a lot of the wrought-iron railings. On a different note there seem to be quite a few empty kiosks seaward of Fester's, which might indicate increased rent..........
  I also enjoyed the piped 60's music on the tannoy system at the end of the pier also, although I realise it might not be appreciated by everyone. The stall selling 50's and 60's CDs is also always worth a visit.    8)   $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6956 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »
Did he spend any money this is the question

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6957 on: March 31, 2016, 05:26:58 pm »
People wonder about the empty kiosks, those little shops that have closed down, but is it any wonder when words like this are spoken, (outside my kiosk only a moment ago)

... 'Put that down Ethan, remember what we said, we are having a whole holiday where we don't purchase ANYTHING!'
Fester...

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6958 on: March 31, 2016, 06:26:41 pm »
Did he spend any money this is the question

Come on Wrex, you know damn well when I go out I never take any cash with me!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6959 on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:22 pm »
Was at black gate this morning fester doesn't help the two cars parked outside their house just below the yellow boxes ,maybe better if they parked by prospect terrace ,
Tomorrow is the big test. The double yellows come into force from 1st April. Today those cars are parked inconveniently. As of tomorrow those cars are parked illegally.