Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663460 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6930 on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:45 pm »

When the new Lifeboat Station is completed I hope that lessons will be learnt from the fiasco of the sailing club slipway.     The pebbles are always  moving in that area as you can see when you look in the Paddling Pool after a Winter storm.
The last thing they want after moving to the new site is any delay in clearing pebbles from the slipway prior to an emergency launch

I don't think the new life-boat allocated to Llandudno which is a "Shannon" Class fibreglass boat needs a slipway Hugo, as I was watching when they were doing the tests a few months ago and they were launching it from an articulated tractor/carriage straight off the sloping shingle bank and retrieving it by running ashore at speed back onto the shingle, then hauling it back onto the carriage in the area where the new station is going to be situated. The boathouse will have a concrete apron in front of it to enable it to be manoeuvred in and out of the building of course. 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6931 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:31 pm »
After a 20 year wait for the new Lifeboat Station they have had time to do their homework and test the area so I hope that everything goes well for the guys on the Lifeboat because they certainly deserve the best that can be offered to them.
There can be no excuses now after so long in the planning.

Offline mull

« Reply #6932 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:15 am »
Ship looks like an ex Royal Navy Fleet Tender. A large number built in the 1970s when we had a navy.
A number of them allocated to Royal Naval Auxiliary Service for anchorage control duties around the coast.  In the late 1970s I was a member of the Bristol unit and used to enjoy working on the 2 allocated to the Bristol Channel area ( Loyal Chancellor and Loyal Moderator ).

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6933 on: March 16, 2016, 09:01:15 am »
"Trinity House Vessel MAIR has been working on buoys off the N Wales coast today. Here she is attending (painting) to a marker just off the beach at Llandudno."

As stated on Ship AIS forum , they  where painting the marker pole green.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6934 on: March 16, 2016, 10:48:35 am »
Ship looks like an ex Royal Navy Fleet Tender. A large number built in the 1970s when we had a navy.
A number of them allocated to Royal Naval Auxiliary Service for anchorage control duties around the coast.  In the late 1970s I was a member of the Bristol unit and used to enjoy working on the 2 allocated to the Bristol Channel area ( Loyal Chancellor and Loyal Moderator ).

Apparently,  "formerly the 'Clovelly' class vessel RMAS HORNING"

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6935 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:13 am »
            Work seems to  have started on tidying up the area in and around the yachting pond on West Shore. They have dug out all the sand from the ornamental pond that used to house the White rabbit statue before it was renovated and repositioned next to the nearby Bus Terminus, and there is a mini-muckshift emptying the sand, stones, tyres, traffic cones etc from the yachting pond itself.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6936 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:22 am »
Work has started on the new Lifeboat Station at Craig Y Don. There are traffic lights on the prom at that point now, don't know how long they will be there for.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6937 on: March 27, 2016, 09:40:47 pm »
Man in Little Orme fall flown to hospital

An elderly man was flown to hospital after falling on the Little Orme.
The man, 71, fell at about 3.45pm today and an air ambulance was requested due to his location.
He suffered a shoulder injury and was flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor for further treatment.

The man was near the top of the mountain when he fell, and was carried down by members of the coastguard who were called to help.
 spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 3.42pm about reports of an elderly man who had fallen and sustained an injury.
“Because of the location, it was not accesible by a normal ambulance crew and the air ambulance was requested.
“The man was flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd with a suspected shoulder injury.”
A witness said: “The Little Orme was quite busy. There were a lot of concerned people watching on.”

A spokesman for Holyhead Coastguard said: “Llandudno, Bangor and Penmon coastguard recue teams, consisting of roughly 10 people, assisted the ambulance to recover an elderly man who had slipped and fallen on the Little Orme.
“The casualty was recovered to a waiting air ambulance and his wife was transported to Ysbyty Gwynedd by the coastguard.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-little-orme-fall-flown-11101268

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6938 on: March 28, 2016, 11:54:03 am »
Linked comment from the above story....REF DP.

"The injured man was my stepdad.  He is an extremely fit 74 year old but just lost his footing.  He has suffered a broken shoulder and small fracture to his skull.  My mum who was with him at the time couldn't believe the response from the emergency services who were absolutely amazing.  An ambulance would not have got anywhere near - hence the helicopter.  I would like to express our sincere thanks to those who helped and to Ben the passing policeman and 2 nurses who kept my mum calm.  They were having such a lovely Easter break in Llandudno!"

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6939 on: March 28, 2016, 01:52:10 pm »
On the Great Orme, just below Black Gate, some additional double yellow lines were put down late last year to allow traffic to get up and down and particularly to avoid the log jam caused by the bus being unable to get up Ty Gwyn Rd.

However, things are as bad as ever, if not worse because people are completely ignoring them, (and parking all over them), and it appears that the traffic wardens are simply too lazy to walk up there to take a look.
Another well managed process!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #6940 on: March 28, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »

"The injured man was my stepdad.  He is an extremely fit 74 year old but just lost his footing.  He has suffered a broken shoulder and small fracture to his skull. 

Sorry to read about your stepfather's accident Steve, I wish him well and hope he makes a swift recovery.  ££$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #6941 on: March 28, 2016, 01:59:42 pm »

However, things are as bad as ever, if not worse because people are completely ignoring them, (and parking all over them), and it appears that the traffic wardens are simply too lazy to walk up there to take a look.

In my humble opinion a lot of that is due to the Council being responsible for Parking enforcement now instead of the Police. They tend to go for the ^*^0 easy target not the necessary one's.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6942 on: March 28, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
"The injured man was my stepdad.  He is an extremely fit 74 year old but just lost his footing.  He has suffered a broken shoulder and small fracture to his skull. 
Sorry to read about your stepfather's accident Steve, I wish him well and hope he makes a swift recovery.  ££$

Sorry Blongb.   For the misunderstanding, the comment was a later link to the story, by his stepdaughter, again I am sorry for not making it clearer, but thanks for your good wishes anyway....    :)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6943 on: March 28, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »
On the Great Orme, just below Black Gate, some additional double yellow lines were put down late last year to allow traffic to get up and down and particularly to avoid the log jam caused by the bus being unable to get up Ty Gwyn Rd.

Contact number for Parking Enforcement  :- 576 622
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6944 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:32 am »
We parked at the Summit Car Park on the Orme over the weekend and I noticed that the Pay & Display machine was still broken - this on a Bank Holiday Weekend! How many months has it been broken for and how much revenue have CCBC lost as a result? Very poor management!  &shake&