Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664079 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5640 on: September 26, 2014, 10:56:28 am »
(I posted something about this the other day but my post "disappeared").

Not quite sure why you're using inverted commas, FA, but there are only two people in here who can delete posts and either of us would have told you about it. If one of us accidentally deletes something we always come clean about it, but SMF software does occasionally lose the odd post.  It's happened to me, as well, but I've never been able to trace precisely why.  It's thought that it might have something to do with users pressing 'post' coincidental with a server update.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5641 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:28 am »
Ref.FA,
"The Three Towns Forum" so surely it's members should be celebrating any positive news in any of the three towns"

I think we can forget that, what is good for one, is good for the area as a whole, one example I noticed recently the low number of hotels serving Colwyn Bay, if your looking for accommodation, Tripadvisor etc. within a dozen or so choices, a few in Rhos, you get the Llandudno hotel list, so I assume Llandudno gains from events at "Eirias" etc.
All improvements to the "local region" can only be positive.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5642 on: September 26, 2014, 12:34:07 pm »
How much has been spent on Towyn, Abergele, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Llanrwst and Betws-y-Coed in recent years?  I don't know but combined it won't come close to the £10m+ spent in Llandudno.
...and that £10m doesn't come close to the amounts spent in Colwyn Bay over the past few years.

In fact, Colwyn Bay received £12m in just ONE grant earlier this year!!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/colwyn-bay-12-million-regeneration-6680243

Isn't that a good thing?  This forum is called the "Three Towns Forum" so surely it's members should be celebrating any positive news in any of the three towns it supposedly represents and not acting like spoilt primary school kids threatening to take their footballs home because they think their mates have been given something they haven't.  Besides Colwyn Bay was awarded the regeneration grant because it's an S H one dot T hole that's desperately in need of renovation.  If you're really that jealous perhaps you could arrange for large sections of Llandudno to be turned in slums and then close down half the shops in the town centre and allow them to rot for five years.  Then maybe Llandudno will be entitled to a regeneration grant of it's own.

Most sensible thing to be posted on this forum in a long while  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5643 on: September 26, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »
Fatandy i have never looked at the Colwyn posts and never will,i only have one interest and thats Llandudno,i would not dream of intefering in Colwyns issues,im not jeoulous of anything Colwyn has,my wife is from Colwyn Bay .

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5644 on: September 26, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
Why never look at the Colwyn posts Wrex?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5645 on: September 26, 2014, 06:14:56 pm »
Most sensible thing to be posted on this forum in a long while  $good$

Really?

Colwyn Bay was awarded the regeneration grant because it's an S H one dot T hole that's desperately in need of renovation.

Describing one of the three towns - or any local community, really - in those terms hardly seems sensible to me.

I'd agree CB is in need of investment and has a disproportionately high number of sub-lets, but to describe the town in the words used is unacceptable.

FA: please argue with restraint and facts rather than emotively charged insults. If you disagree with something someone says, debate them on facts and analysis, not invective.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5646 on: September 26, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
Why never,just because i have no interest ,it may make me sound sad but i was born in Llandudno and thats where i have all my interest,sorry but I visit Colwyn,Conwy,Bangor ,Vancouver,Baku,New York but i always like to come home,and they say that is where the heart is.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5647 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
IT just seems a shame to never read any posts about a town that is just next door, living in Rhos on Sea I visit Llandudno and Colwyn Bay often, I like them both, everywhere has good and bad parts. To be fair though I never read the football posts!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5648 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:59 pm »
For the same reason..... I never read the CARS thread!

Ian, funnily enough, may I use the term to describe the city I originally hail from?

You see Bradford is nice place to come from...... but a SH#T hole to go back to!    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5649 on: September 27, 2014, 07:21:17 am »
I suppose its only interesting if you live or work there.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5650 on: September 27, 2014, 08:24:55 am »
Ian, funnily enough, may I use the term to describe the city I originally hail from?

As Bradford is a little outside the Three Towns remit, then any remarks you make about it are between you and any ex-pat Bradfordians that might be living locally.  Even so, I imagine there are some delightful areas of Bradford and I would think people living there and unable to move for one reason or another might feel a sense of justifiable annoyance at their home town being labelled as such. But, never having been there, I have no idea what it's like.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5651 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:37 am »
As I come from not far from where Fester is talking about, I know exactly what he means. Many of the Yorkshire towns have become riddled with crime ( as have alot more places), but because there is a greater density of people there than in Llandudno the problem accelerates and the towns take on a worse appearance.
I recently had to go up there to visit our daughter who has been very ill and thus had to get from the station to her house alone ( I usually am met at the train) I can assure you that it wasn't a very nice experience dealing with a foreign taxi driver who persisted that he was going in the right direction, when I knew that he wasn't. I eventually got him to turn round and head back the correct way. -- I also refused to pay the extra that he added on for his little sightseeing trip around one of the notorious areas of the town.
I might look as though I can be fleeced, but no way, I probably drove a meals on wheels van in that area before he was born ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5652 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
 _))* _))* _))*

Wonderful!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5653 on: September 27, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
 $good$ $good$ $good$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5654 on: September 28, 2014, 04:24:23 pm »
I was looking at the new Sailing Club Slipway the other day, and it is several feet lower than the areas of shingle that surround it on both sides. It isn't hard to see that the first storm of the Winter will bury it completely under tons of shingle and have to be removed at regular intervals thereafter, at considerable expense to the taxpayer.  :roll: