Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664369 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5205 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:14 am »
EXACTLY!      WWW

What we need are false beaches on inland lakes.   No flooding problems, kids can build sand castles, pensioners can paddle, vendors can sell ice cream and no-one has to wait for time nor tide! 

Or is that a daft idea?  Not really there are such places already! 

Ruislip lido
It claims to be the ‘only beach in London’ as it’s just 15 miles from the capital and set in woodland.  A former reservoir converted to a lido in the 1930s, facilities include a sandy beach and splash pad area with water fountains for the kids, along with toilets and changing rooms.

When you’ve had your picnic you can board the lido train for a two mile trip round the lake. If you go by public transport it’s a short walk from Northwood Hill tube station or you can get a bus. If you’re driving there’s plenty of free parking plus entry to the lido is free.

The Warren Beach, Hay-on-Wye
If you like your beaches secluded then this one’s for you. The Warren is a pebble beach on the banks of the River Wye, near Hay on Wye on the Welsh border.

It can get packed during the world famous Hay literary festival and you’ve got to make an effort to find this one as it’s only accessible by footpaths from the local lanes, like the one next to Warren Close in the west end of Hay. The area is actually privately owned by the local community who bought it around thirty years ago to stop a proposed caravan park going ahead but anyone can visit.

Frensham Great Pond, Surrey
Frensham’s sandy beaches have been the location for many a film over the years.  The common itself is owned by the National Trust and among the woodland there are two ponds - Frensham Great and Little ponds. 

The area is primarily a nature reserve so rules are strict. No dogs are allowed on the beach, no barbeques or camping and although there’s a ranger on duty at weekends there are no lifeguards, so take care if you’re going swimming.  Head to Farnham to discover this beach and take a bus from Farnham station. For drivers there’s a car park on site which charges £2.50 on weekends and bank holidays.

Loch Lomond, Scotland
For natural unspoilt sandy beaches head for Luss and Milarrochy Bay on the banks of Loch Lomond, around twenty minutes from Glasgow airport. Luss is on the west side of the Loch with nothing more than a car park but you can easily head into the village to pick up drinks and supplies. At Milarrochy you’ll find toilets and changing facilities.

The waters of Loch Lomond are great for a paddle but swimming isn’t recommended as it’s a glacial lake which means it’s very deep and likely to be freezing cold all year round.

Cotswold Country Park & Beach, Gloucestershire
For the ultimate family friendly inland beach try this one with long stretches of sand, a beach café and shop for last minute buckets and spades. Cotswold Water Park is the largest inland paddling beach in the UK and even at its deepest point the water’s only waist deep, making it ideal for families.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dingo20

« Reply #5206 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:35 am »
Is the Airshow still on this weekend I've been told it might be cancelled because of the bad weather?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5207 on: May 23, 2014, 09:48:26 am »
I wasn't at the meeting, but the comment made by a friend who was (and whose opinion I trust) was interesting.  He stated that the town councillors spoke extremely well and came over equally as well, while the CCBC team came over as arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.

I think you have to factor in human nature there.  People tend to think anyone who shares their own opinions will have spoken well whereas those they don't agree will have been arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.  That's politics for you.  I'm sure that there were some people at the meeting who thought the exact opposite to what your friend did, and indeed I've spoken to at least one person present who was far from impressed with Ian Turner's performance.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5208 on: May 23, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
I think you have to factor in human nature there.  People tend to think anyone who shares their own opinions will have spoken well whereas those they don't agree will have been arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.

Well, as I say I wasn't there, so can't judge.  Does anyone else have a view?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5209 on: May 23, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »

However the next meeting would be better served by having a totally independent Chairperson, as that cannot be said of our Police Superintendent Greg Robbins, who was most certainly in the pocket of Council Leader Geraint Edwards, hence the number of Councillors who were selected "totally at random" from the assembly to speak. In fact it became so apparent, he ended up asking them to stop and sit down.

Also if you watch the Youtube clip when Janet Finch-Saunders is addressing the meeting, you can clearly see Geraint Edwards telling Greg Robbins to end the meeting to prevent her speaking. I was there and heard it said for myself and it was only when the floor demanded that she be allowed to speak (edited out of the clip) that she was able to continue.

We were told by Simon Humphreys that the latest topping off of the stones to replenish the sea defences ( 50,000 tons) was to restore the beach profile to its original specification after 70% of those stones had been lost over the last decade. Well Mr Humphreys, Figures speak louder than words. The original sea defences plan including consultancy fees costs £1,048,410.05 to complete. If the Beach Profile has been restored to that original Profile and with Locally sourced stone, why did it cost £1,500,000 this time around? Something doesn't add up.

As I said about people not sitting near their name cards - I think you may have mixed up a couple
The Police Superintendant was Simon Humphreys (who it looked to me to be chairing the meeting)
Greg Robbins was the guy in the suit with a beard - who I think was on Ian Turner's side wasn't he?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5210 on: May 23, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »
I think you have to factor in human nature there.  People tend to think anyone who shares their own opinions will have spoken well whereas those they don't agree will have been arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.

Well, as I say I wasn't there, so can't judge.  Does anyone else have a view?

As I said a guy in a suit stood up from the audience - started to make some good points about flooding and was shouted down by both the audience and the people on stage opposed to his views.

Not cordial at all in a meeting or respectful, having attended thousands of meetings myself, in that situation I would have walked out.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5211 on: May 23, 2014, 12:07:40 pm »
But did you detect any difference between Llandudno TCs and CCBCs?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5212 on: May 23, 2014, 12:56:39 pm »
Cll Bertola stood up and congratulated CCBC on their good work and seemed to be against Ian Turner,not sure if Ian upset Brian when he was on the council.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5213 on: May 23, 2014, 12:58:16 pm »

As I said about people not sitting near their name cards - I think you may have mixed up a couple
The Police Superintendant was Simon Humphreys (who it looked to me to be chairing the meeting)
Greg Robbins was the guy in the suit with a beard - who I think was on Ian Turner's side wasn't he?

You are so right born2run, I have mixed them up and I apologise unreservedly to Cllr Greg Robbins for my mistake. I have also asked for my post to be amended. Thanks again for pointing out my error.  $thanx$

I've amended your post, B.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:47:29 pm by Ian »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5214 on: May 23, 2014, 01:26:54 pm »
Cll Bertola stood up and congratulated CCBC on their good work and seemed to be against Ian Turner,not sure if Ian upset Brian when he was on the council.

I don't know that person though I have heard of them from the Oscar blog - where abouts is it in the film? I'd like to see. Thanks

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5215 on: May 23, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

You are so right born2run, I have mixed them up and I apologise unreservedly to Cllr Greg Robbins for my mistake. I have also asked for my post to be amended. Thanks again for pointing out my error.  $thanx$

No worries  :) As I said it's odd nobody was near their name cards, it confused me as well, I only noticed because I know Simon and Greg in person

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5216 on: May 23, 2014, 06:37:40 pm »
I think we have too admit Llandudno will never be as vibrant as it was for the youngsters,all nite spots have gone,no gigs in Venue Cymru Arena and no real decent pubs for youngsters.Now as i get older it should;nt really bother me,but it does,i remember outside Fountains being packed and the buzz you could hearfrom Hoosons corner,i ain;t seen it busy for a couple of years,not sure where the youth of Conwy Borough go these days but it ain;t Llandudno.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #5217 on: May 23, 2014, 07:45:19 pm »
Is the Airshow still on this weekend I've been told it might be cancelled because of the bad weather?

If it is cancelled do not worry as the paddling pool in C-Y-D has clean water in it now for everyone to use. This evening no one appeared to be taking advantage of it.....so the council appear to have wasted our money again as various people wanted it filled for the May Day weekend!!   

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5218 on: May 23, 2014, 07:54:57 pm »
i thought it was the camera angles that made the names look out of place Btr

Online Cordyline

• Management board member