Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663815 times)

Offline Bigmurph

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5055 on: April 10, 2014, 08:54:39 pm »
I went down the prom this morning just to see the new beach, I was shocked !! I can understand the reason behind it but that will not solve the problem long term after every bad storm they will have to put the smaller stones back into place and also it's very hard to walk on not very good for the visitors who want to walk along the shore.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5056 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:59 am »
Interestingly, the Weekly News has been running with this story for two weeks. One letter pointed out some salient facts which - if accurate - make what some people have been saying seem a bit uninformed.

He maintains that the original beach was little different except - obviously - that the stones would have been more rounded, due to continuous movement by the tides against each other and the sand. It's the same process I used to use to produce highly polished stones for setting. But I also remember that more than 40 years ago the beach was a mass of these stones and were nasty to walk on.

The letter writer, however, goes on to point out that steps were built leading down from the road level across the stones to reach the sandy section of the shore, revealed at low and mid-tides. Nothing unusual in that, you might think, but it's what he said next I found interesting: the groynes (which some people argue were created to retain sand) were - in fact - built to protect the steps and not to retain sand.

Another letter writer argued that it would be feasible to reduce the overall height of the stones before laying a semi-permeable membrane across them which could then be covered in sand providing - in effect - a synthetic beach.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5057 on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:09 am »
As an aside but relevant, nonetheless, Judith Phillips shows a sweet turn of phrase in her second paragraph in the NWWN article, 3rd April, when she writes

"And a leading councillor was hit by a wave of discontent from the 200-strong crowd...".

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5058 on: April 12, 2014, 12:29:09 pm »
When is a Mayor not a Mayor?  A little dicky bird tells me

It seems that the Llandudno Town Mayor has taken some form of employment (probably unpaid) with our AM, Janet Finch-Saunders, and that the majority (if not all) of the Mayoral duties are now being carried out by the Deputy Mayor.

Is it right that the Mayor, who receives a generous allowance from the Townsfolk, should be carrying out Electoral work for the AM, rather than completing the duties he swore to do at his Mayor Making Ceremony?  Surely he could refrain from such activities for another month or so rather than getting himself involved in Election proceedings, yet to be announced?

Obviously JF-S is aware of this and should not condone such behaviour.  Or is she demonstrating that her political ambitions are more important than anything else?
 :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5059 on: April 12, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »
Or is she demonstrating that her political ambitions are more important than anything else?

Come on Yorkie, a politicians ambitions are almost always more important than anything else.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5060 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
Civic heads usually refrain from party political activity during their year of office.  They change over sometime in May.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5061 on: April 12, 2014, 03:30:46 pm »
Or is she demonstrating that her political ambitions are more important than anything else?

Come on Yorkie, a politicians ambitions are almost always more important than anything else.

There are the questions of PROTOCOL and CIVIC DUTY, some Councillors are obviously devoid of such considerations!    WWW

I noticed on TV today that JF-S was at the Welsh Conservatives Conference.  David Jones gave a fantastic and sensible speech which almost had me converted to Conservatism!   I think, however, that I may follow Nigel at the next Election!   WWW WWW WWW WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5062 on: April 13, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »
The Mayor has tweeted that he wants "the groins back".  Good to know the AM's office manager has spell check!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5063 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:05 pm »
It must be set to English (US).

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5064 on: April 13, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »
I know it's not the raging waves of winter but the slight waves coming in with the breeze on North Shore tonight are definitely breaking some 3 or 4 metres further from the prom than in the past. Good thing ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5065 on: April 14, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »
Llandudno Town Council are holding a short ceremony in Happy Valley (by the cafe) on Thursday Morning at 11am to mark the unveiling of the 'Alex Munro Way' signs. Everyone is welcome to attend.  $good$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5066 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »
   If that has been publicised my attention has missed it.   Your post is the first I have heard of it

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5067 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
Our local MP has commented on the North Shore Beach issue:

Llandudno Beach Update
Monday, 14 April, 2014
Following recent public concern and the two public meetings that have been held, Guto met last Friday with Cllr. Mike Priestley to discuss the issue.

Cllr. Priestley informed Guto that the council will shortly be placing the technical argument for the works on the local authority website.  Cllr. Priestley acknowledged that there had been a number of shortcomings in their handling of this matter, specifically commenting that the local authority had failed to communicate effectively with local businesses and residents about the works  and that they are actively trying to rectify that issue.

Guto was pleased to hear that the local authority are working constructively with Llandudno Town Council specifically to remedy the sand issues at “Kiddies Corner” and that an active dialogue has been opened with them over the wider beach issues.

Guto said,
“ I applaud Cllr. Priestley for facing the public and accepting that errors have been made.  It would have been easy to hide behind council officials and not enter into a dialogue with the public.   It is hard for me, to comment further until I have had the opportunity to evaluate the technical evidence and to also investigate when, where and how these particular measures were decided on.  However, I am confident that the local authority are well aware of the strong feelings of local residents and businesses and are aware that this issue is not going to go away.”

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5068 on: April 15, 2014, 08:03:13 pm »
You all know my glass is always half empty but thats me.Been for a walk along prom and pier ,lovly nite,beach looks disgusting,obviously been very busy will someone take a look in the morning just to see if anyone has cleaned it,as for the beach as a whole with the tide right out i have never never never seen so little sand,i never realised how much of the stone had spread and covered the sand.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #5069 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »
Quite disgusted at the state of the prom. and Can not wait until the gobby high vizz vest leave.
Many a time I have walked past them only to have the micky taken out of me. Shame I'm not 20 years younger.