Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663514 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4620 on: November 24, 2013, 08:17:02 am »
for anyone interested take a look do take a look down Mostyn st next time your there and see how many blue lamposts there are,and then imagine a xmas light stuck on each,now that would make Mostyn st stand out and would surely not cost a fortune the symbols could even stand out above the pavement to stop them being hit by a lorry.Also imagine a much bigger tree on bog island,it could be a outstanding display with just a little imagination.As for Parc Llandudno im just discusted they spend not a penny on xmas lights.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4621 on: November 24, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
Catch 22 siutation. 

No money, no lights.  No lights, no people.   No people, no money!

It needs some enterprising person or a rich philanthropist to break the circle!   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4622 on: November 24, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
fester get up that lamppost

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4623 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
who said they are skint.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4624 on: November 24, 2013, 07:59:49 pm »
fester get up that lamppost

Been away for a few days, feasting and shopping.... so I hardly think the lamp post would bear my weight!  :laugh:   $drink$ $dins$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4625 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
for anyone interested take a look do take a look down Mostyn st next time your there and see how many blue lamposts there are,and then imagine a xmas light stuck on each,now that would make Mostyn st stand out and would surely not cost a fortune the symbols could even stand out above the pavement to stop them being hit by a lorry.Also imagine a much bigger tree on bog island,it could be a outstanding display with just a little imagination.As for Parc Llandudno im just discusted they spend not a penny on xmas lights.
A great idea...apart from the fact the Victorian lamp posts currently have no electricity supply.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4626 on: November 24, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »
Omg Dave that is what i would expect the councillors to say,there are wires and lights all over the place,it would not be that hard with a bit of desire to connect some new symbols to the mains.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4627 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:11 am »

A great idea...apart from the fact the Victorian lamp posts currently have no electricity supply.

Well, one learns something new everyday!  I didn't even know these Victorian lamposts had no bulbs!
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4628 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:36 am »
there are wires and lights all over the place,it would not be that hard with a bit of desire to connect some new symbols to the mains.

Perhaps not for you, Wrex, but Councillors who assume £30,000 to fix a broken pump and feeder pipe in Happy valley is reasonable will probably assume a lot more for re-cabling.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #4629 on: November 25, 2013, 09:19:48 am »
How about some battery operated LED lights? - I would have thought that possible.  Use rechargeable batteries and keep changing them round to re-charge.  Plenty to be found on websites - even some of the stores in town sell them!

Somebody should know if that could work.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4630 on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:38 am »
I believe the Town Council was charged approx £2000 for the installation of just 1 feeder pillar (electricity supply) to the lights on the tree outside the leather shop in Upper Mostyn St.

Battery powered LED displays are certainly worth considering.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4631 on: November 25, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »
DaveR you and i know it could have been done cheaper,i was thinking of a feed of the strings or the lamps on the walls not a complete refit,its only for 9 weeks a year,im sure it could be done if only we had somebody with a bit of common on there.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4632 on: November 25, 2013, 04:16:29 pm »
What's Llandudno like now - don't know

But what it's like on a Sunday is ruddy hard to get to!
Because there are no trains running there. I can manage to get trains from Feltham all the way to Junction no problem - but once I get to junction after my 5 hour journey I either have the option to wait in the cold for a bus and pay an extra £3 of my hard earned money on top of the £100 I've already paid for my ticket from london to LLANDUDNO (false advertising if ever I've seen it  &shake&) or pay a tenner in a taxi

Queen of Welsh resorts? Only for 6 days of the week  $angry$

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4633 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:08 pm »
As far as I know there have been no trains in the winter to Llandudno since the early 1970s. The only way I believe that this can be changed is if the next franchise agreement puts a requirement on the operator to do so. Welsh Government/Assembly is now in charge of the franchise.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4634 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:16 am »
WG has the power to arrange extra train services from the Franchisee as long as they are happy to pay for them.

Question is, would enough people use it to make it worthwhile? Or would it just be cheaper to pay for a taxi for the few people that did want to use it?

I believe that the Conwy Valley line doesnt operate on Sundays in the Winter either. Flooding problems aside, that seems crazy to me.