Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664287 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4050 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »
Actually..... I noticed that the MAJORITY of hotels I walked past today had vacancies.

To me that was indicative of several problems with the economy this year.
Whilst you will find that the flea-ridden cess-pit which masquerades as a Holiday Camp, (Haven, Prestatyn) is completely full.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4051 on: August 14, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »
It looked good when I saw it in 'Holiday on the Buses' but that was filmed in 1973!  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4052 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:40 am »
It looked good when I saw it in 'Holiday on the Buses' but that was filmed in 1973!  :o

Alex Munro had a part in that film:

http://youtu.be/D5K8KJ0Gx-o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4053 on: August 15, 2013, 07:24:50 am »
We watched that film a few weeks ago and spotted Alex Munro! We went to have a look at the bridge used in the film at Rhuddlan, the scenes where the luggage flew off the sidecar in to the river! We enjoyed the film but I know that film critics don't, what do they know?  &shake&

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #4054 on: August 15, 2013, 07:58:09 am »
Thanks FatAndy, Paula got us into Arvon House for Thursday and Friday, we'll have a mooch around for somewhere for Saturday night while we are walking around town. If anyone is out on Upper Mostyn over the next three evenings I'll buy you a bevvy! I'll be the tall short haired Scouser in a black jacket :D
Justice for the 96

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #4055 on: August 16, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »
I've just been reading about the new traffic offences coming into force today and one is "Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout" (per the BBC News website).  Hopefully North Wales' Finest will now be patrolling the Links roundabout on Conwy Road every Saturday as it should be a decent money spinner at £100 a pop.  And maybe then people might start to realise that just because you drive an Audi or a Land Rover it doesn't mean you're exempt from sitting in the queue with the rest of us  :-*.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4056 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:20 pm »
What I would like to see is how the evidence for pushing into a queue at a roundabout will be assembled and presented.  To my mind it would need video footage taken from half a dozen different angles.  Or one copper's word against the driver!   ?{}?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #4057 on: August 16, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »
It would be the copper's word plus the word of the person who's just been cut up by an anti-social ignoramus.  And let's face it on a Saturday afternoon there'd be no shortage of witnesses in the queue who'd be quite willing to testify if it meant Mr or Mrs Land Rover getting their just desserts, I know I'd be more than willing to testify  ;).

Emo Philips

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4058 on: August 16, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »
I know I'd be more than willing to testify.

You'd be prepared to testify in court just because a car was accused of changing lanes too near to a roundabout???  The world is going crazy & some people are in need of a reality check!   &shake&
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4059 on: August 16, 2013, 03:18:59 pm »
It would be the copper's word plus the word of the person who's just been cut up by an anti-social ignoramus.

Hmmm.  IME it's far from being the landed gentry who are utterly clueless drivers.  For instance, the numbers who seem incapable of realising that the initial signal on entering any roundabout needs to be changed prior to leaving, so that following and emerging traffic knows your intentions is enormous. Indicating, positioning and simply thinking about other drivers is markedly lacking across the driver spectrum.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4060 on: August 16, 2013, 03:20:20 pm »
It's easy to be in the wrong lane if you don't know the area, if it happens to me I indicate and wait for someone to let me in. The problem is when you are waiting in a queue and someone shoots past and tries to force their way in, a telling off from a copper, if he sees it should be enough really!

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #4061 on: August 16, 2013, 04:03:49 pm »
I know I'd be more than willing to testify.

You'd be prepared to testify in court just because a car was accused of changing lanes too near to a roundabout???  The world is going crazy & some people are in need of a reality check!   &shake&

It probably wouldn't go to court.  The idea is that the police can issue fixed penalty notices but the offender has the right to take it to court if they so wish.  I'd imagine they'd be less inclined to do that if they knew that there were witnesses prepared to speak out and therefore be more willing to accept the punishment.

As for would I go to court if it got that far.  Too right I would.  I've had far too many nears misses on that roundabout when some idiot has cut across me at the last second and almost forced me into the wall.  If I could I make an example of just one of them in future I'd happily crawl across broken glass to reach the courthouse!

p.s. I don't see it as "changing lanes too near to a roundabout".  I see it as deliberately jumping the queue and not giving the slightest concern about the safety of other road users.  And if you can't see those enormous arrows painted on the road as you approach the Links which quite clearly show the right hand lane is for right turns only then you shouldn't be allowed to drive until you've passed an eye test.

Emo Philips

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4062 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
You don't have to push in on the Links roundabout coming into town on a busy Saturday or any other day for that matter. Drive down the empty right lane, signalling right. Drive completely around the roundabout until you reach the exit you require, then signal and manoeuvre. Totally legal and no threat of a £100 fine and no 3 points on your Licence either.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4063 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
Very true!  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4064 on: August 16, 2013, 06:04:13 pm »
And if you can't see those enormous arrows painted on the road as you approach the Links which quite clearly show the right hand lane is for right turns only then you shouldn't be allowed to drive until you've passed an eye test.

It depends on how long the queue in the LH lane is, of course. The first RH only arrow doesn't appear until after the road signs directing people to the Baths, etc. and is level with the traffic light warning sign.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.