Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664376 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3960 on: July 14, 2013, 12:46:05 am »
The Grand Hotel is rapidly becoming a candidate for the EYESORE'S thread.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3961 on: July 14, 2013, 07:22:43 am »
Why, Fester?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3962 on: July 14, 2013, 09:34:33 am »
the wife said the same the other night fester looking a bit down

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3963 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:56 am »
In keeping with the current state of pier perhaps?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3964 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:33 pm »
Nice walk up the Happy Valley today,nice and busy so i have come to the conclusion that we don;t need a water feature that works and we don;t need a clean beach,as CCBC see Llandudno is busy without spending on it and all the parking charges they rake in from our promenade can go into looking after other tourist towns in the borough.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3965 on: July 14, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »
LLANDUDNO VISITOR BROUGHT TO SAFETY BY RNLI CREW

A man marooned at the foot of the Pen Trwyn headland on Llandudno's Great Orme was brought to safety this evening (14/7) by the resort's RNLI lifeboat crew.

Requested to launch by Holyhead Coastguard at 1815 hrs, the lifeboat set off shortly afterwards, reaching the casualty on the shore at Pigeons Cove at 1825 hrs. The man, a visitor in his early 30's had climbed down the cliffs from the Marine Drive to the shore, but had then found himself unable to climb back up again.

The relieved and appreciative casualty was quickly taken aboard the lifeboat and landed safely at the lifeboat slipway, none the worse for his experience.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3966 on: July 14, 2013, 07:42:21 pm »
By coincidence, the inshore lifeboat and the Andy Pearce had only just made their way back from the slipway at 6pm.

The Coastguard also sped past us onto Happy Valley Road just after 6.15pm so would have no doubt arrived at the scene just before the inshore lifeboat did.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3967 on: July 14, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »
The man, a visitor in his early 30's had climbed down the cliffs from the Marine Drive to the shore, but had then found himself unable to climb back up again

Another contender for this year's Darwin awards...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3968 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
Why, Fester?

It is looking very tatty and unloved Bri.
At least the Pier is getting investment and improvement work done.
The Grand looks very shabby now, paint wise, and pavement wise, even the roof has many slipped slates.
From any angle you care to look at it, you can see deterioration and issues requiring attention.

The Grand Hotel Scarborough, (another of the Britannia chain) is an example of what a prestigious hotel can look like.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3969 on: July 16, 2013, 07:11:19 am »
I am afraid to say it is not just the Grand Hotel that looks that way these days, Fester.

Have you walked down Vaughan Street recently and inspected the exterior of the Imperial Hotel?

Then there is another anonymous hotel block opposite the entrance to the St Georges Hotel and next door to the Ambassador Hotel in St Georges Place. In fact, it may even belong to the Ambassador Hotel.

I guess it is just a sign of the tough economic times these businesses are now all living in.

Let's hope they all make enough this season to survive and carry out the essential repairs and repainting during this coming winter.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3970 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:24 am »
Not the only thing falling apart.

Yesterday I was at Bog Island and having a few minutes to idle away I had a good look at the Wooden Effigy of the White Rabbit.

My bet is that in a year's time (or possibly less) it will only be fit for firewood.  There are some massive cracks and fissures in the carving and once the Winter weather gets into them, it will be THE END.   What a sad demise for the main Alice in Wonderland character?

No doubt the rest of the characters will be suffering from similar deterioration at the moment, and will also suffer the same sad end.

One would have thought that the big investment made in the "Alice Trail" would have lasted a few more years.    I suppose it will be Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee to the rescue!   ZXZ
 Z@@
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3971 on: July 16, 2013, 09:04:56 am »
The Queen of Hearts is looking very similar.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3972 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:21 am »
Just passed the Lilly on West Shore around 7.15pm and it is heaving outside, in the bar and in the restaurant.

Yet the West Shore café, which was recently successful in obtaining a drinks licence, was closed.

In my experience, when you see a business that is closed, it is because too many people are walking PAST them, rather than intending to walk INTO them.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3973 on: July 20, 2013, 06:44:14 am »
In my experience, when you see a business that is closed, it is because too many people are walking PAST them, rather than intending to walk INTO them.

Knowing that then I wonder what was the sense in recently obtaining an alcohol licence until 9pm?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3974 on: July 20, 2013, 09:11:11 am »
Llandudno was heaving last night, we went for a walk round about 9.45. Naturally, the pier was closed and locked up. The first thing I overheard when on Prom was 'why on earth is the pier closed when it is so busy?'.

It's a fair point.  :roll: