Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664327 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3855 on: June 19, 2013, 06:24:54 pm »
So if it's owned by CCBC it's for anyone to use?

Twenty five years ago you could turn up and pay to use the bowling green by paying a nominal fee.

That was before the old pavilion burned down and a new Community Centre was built.

What the arrangements are today I do not know, but you could always ask at the Community Centre.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3856 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:29 am »
My own vision for the Grand Theatre would for it to be acquired by a local charity, refurbished back into theatre use with lottery funding,  and run as a mixture of community performing arts venue and commercial performance venue, featuring the sort of acts/groups etc that can't be booked into Venue Cymru due to cost/size etc..  The Theatres Trust said 'This is potentially the best traditional theatre in North Wales. It is sad that such a fine building is not playing a major role in the revival of Llandudno as a regional performance arts centre'.

Funnily enough, Page 6 of today's Weekly News has exactly such a plan as I've outlined above. Llandudno Seaside Buildings Trust are hoping to acquire the Theatre, refurbish it with Lottery money and then use it for community/commercial use, including a cinema.  $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3857 on: June 20, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »
Rather like Theatr Colwyn.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3858 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:14 pm »
The Alice sculptures are very popular,what a shame the 3 new ones are sitting in Builders st coach park with no sign of any plinths for them,and we all know how long the others took.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3859 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:50 pm »
A TRUST set up to preserve a resort’s historic  buildings wants to see a former nightclub restored it to its former use as a theatre.

The Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust has previously renovated the former St George’s School in the resort, and was instrumental in the preservation of the former Tabernacl Chapel.

And trust member John Lawson-Reay says it is now investigating ways of acquiring the premises, which until last week housed the Broadway Boulevard nightspot.

Originally the building, which has protective Grade II listing, was the Grand Theatre which became nationally famous during the Second World War as the popular radio show ITMA (It’s That Man Again) featuring  comedian Tommy Handley was broadcast from there.

And before becoming a nightclub it had been home to a repertory company which staged a wide variety of plays.

John explained: “The theatre is still there behind plywood which was erected to convert it into a nightclub, and would need minimal alterations to convert it back to that use.

“All the elements of a theatre are there, from the stage, dressing rooms and boxes to the circle and seating. Our vision is to reinstate it, and make it a facility for community use.

“We envisage dual use as a cinema, and for small theatrical productions so it wouldn’t be in competition with Venue Cymru.

“It would fill a niche and could be used for a variety of purposes. For instance it would be ideal for amateur groups and for smaller, more intimate performances.

“We have identified parts of the building which need attention but there is nothing too serious in terms of structural work,” he claimed.

Last year Llandudno Civic Society, of which he is chairman, was able to hold an open day there giving people an opportunity to  look around the building.

“Among those who came were members of the National Theatres Society who described it an as absolute gem of a theatre and thought it was in a remarkably good state of preservation.

“The stage facilities, including lifts and trap doors, are all still intact which is quite amazing,” he added.

As a charitable Trust, John believes the organisation would be able to attract funding for the project.

“As it is a listed building we could look at Heritage Lottery grants, and there are other funding sources we may be able to tap into.

“Our aim would be to acquire and restore the building and then pass it on to another group to administer,” he added.

And entertainer Ian Turner says he would like to be part of the project and explore ways in which that could be achieved.

“The Grand is an important part of the town’s entertainment history and we need to preserve it.

“With dual use as a cinema and theatre, and if we put the right productions in there, I’m sure it would work,” he said.

The Boulevard’s owners Atmosphere Bars and Clubs Ltd, based in Milton Keynes, went into administration last month due to cashflow problems.

But the nightspot stayed open while administrators Deloitte, appointed in May, tried to find a buyer for it.

However, last week they announced they had been unsuccessful and it closed for good.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/broadway-boulevard-could-saved-community-4693027

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3860 on: June 20, 2013, 10:08:14 pm »
The Alice sculptures are very popular,what a shame the 3 new ones are sitting in Builders st coach park with no sign of any plinths for them,and we all know how long the others took.

Not sure about popular they are, I have never heard anyone mention them to me.

The one of Alice outside the railway station is somewhat scary, not at all in keeping with the Alice tradition, and serves only to make visitors confused and raise an eyebrow.
Thats not an excuse to leave the others in a depot though,
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3861 on: June 20, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
I wish them well,but i do hope the youngsters get some where else to go before we loose them ,Mr Dickens was running a coach to Bangor last week so defeat has already come but one local entrepenaur is needed and soon.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3862 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »
Fester whenever i go past one someone is having a picture with it,but i reckon CCBC don;t have the money for the plinths.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3863 on: June 20, 2013, 10:29:17 pm »
   There is what I consider a really delightful display of tall wild flowers. Don't ask me what they are, but as for colours, there is red, purple blue and yellow all about four foot high, right in the middle of Llandudno.
   On the retaining bank in Builder Street, opposite Williams the metal people. Mike

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #3864 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »
   There is what I consider a really delightful display of tall wild flowers. Don't ask me what they are, but as for colours, there is red, purple blue and yellow all about four foot high, right in the middle of Llandudno.
   On the retaining bank in Builder Street, opposite Williams the metal people. Mike

I also noticed them tonight! They looked lovely and a stark contrast to 'bog island' area which whilst looking well tended was all greenery.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3865 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:07 pm »

Opposite Williams the Steel people is the boundary fence and wall for the railway station isn't it? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3866 on: June 21, 2013, 06:43:18 am »
If we take the open top red bus down Builders st to see these wild flowers,then it can do a lap of the coach park to see the 3 Alice figures,sorted,and if i put a hose pipeon the roof of Linny Coopers we;ll have a waterfall,so excited.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3867 on: June 21, 2013, 07:00:04 am »
Fester whenever i go past one someone is having a picture with it,but i reckon CCBC don;t have the money for the plinths.
The one at Bog Island is very popular with people having their photo taken with it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3868 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:08 am »

Opposite Williams the Steel people is the boundary fence and wall for the railway station isn't it?
It's the area of semi-derelict open ground that used to be the Goods Yard and which now serves as dumping ground, wild flower meadow and alcoholics retreat.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3869 on: June 21, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
Ooh Dave Mr Done would be upset to hear that about his little investment.