Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663573 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1920 on: January 10, 2012, 08:23:00 pm »
I have just reported the street lights issue via the Report It site on the Council's website

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/drstreetlights.asp?cat=2805&doc=15473&Language=1

We'll see if that has any effect

Could you use this link to report the xmas lights in Llandudno?  VV 
 $lol$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1921 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:00 pm »
Jason W what is the latest date on the station start date please.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1922 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:34 am »
MORE than 1,300 people applied for just 16 jobs at a new furniture store.

That works out at just under 87 applicants for each post at the DFS sofa centre in Llandudno.

The newly-built store, on the old Halford’s site near B&Q on Mostyn Champneys Retail Park opens on Saturday, February 18.

DFS said it had been “inundated” with 1,385 applications for the 16 advertised positions.

The Mayor of Llandudno welcomed the store and called for other companies to invest in the resort.

The Office for National Statistics’s latest figures show that 9.1% of Wales’ workforce were unemployed in the period of August to October 2011 – up from 8.4% between May and July last year.

DFS area sales manager Adam Hankinson said: “I have been amazed by both the number of applications we’ve received but also the high quality of the candidates.

“We’ve recruited a great bunch of people and I’m really excited about creating a new local team who will open the store within weeks.”

The application process has now closed and many of the successful candidates are starting extensive training to make sure new customers to the store are given the best service possible.

DFS has been in business for more than 40 years.

This long-term success has seen them buck the trend of many retailers and continue to expand with stores due to open over the next two years.

In 2011 DFS created 151 new jobs across the UK and plans to create more than 300 in 2012.

Yesterday Mayor of Llandudno Cllr Greg Robbins welcomed the new store and called on other companies to follow suit.

He said: “I welcome the fact that these jobs are being created. It’s a very positive thing for the town that a national company is coming here.”

But he added: “I don’t know if desperation is the word. It shows there’s a massive shortage of long-term employment jobs and that we need further inward investment.”

Cllr Robbins expects vacancies at the proposed Travelodge in Llandudno to be similarly oversubscribed.

Travelodge Hotels is set to open an 83-bed hotel on the site of the former Clarence Hotel, Gloddaeth Street creating up to 60 permanent jobs.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/01/11/1-385-people-apply-for-16-jobs-at-new-dfs-store-in-llandudno-55578-30098185/

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #1923 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:42 pm »
Jason W what is the latest date on the station start date please.
I'll try and find out a real date and get back to you.
The last I knew it was the "spring"

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1924 on: January 12, 2012, 08:16:56 am »
 ;) Thanks Jason.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1925 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
Word is that the plug has been pulled on the Station redevelopment scheme.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1926 on: January 12, 2012, 11:45:49 am »
Dave R why would that not surprise me.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1927 on: January 12, 2012, 03:18:56 pm »
Dave, if thats a joke then it belongs in the 'poor taste' section.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1928 on: January 12, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »
Not a joke, I'm afraid!

On another note, I've just seen an old lady have a nasty fall outside Cafe Culture. This seems to be a regular occurrence along Mostyn St, there are so many uneven paving stones.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1929 on: January 13, 2012, 03:38:50 pm »
Inshore Lifeboat has just been called out, it's heading round the Little Orme towards Penrhyn Bay.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1930 on: January 13, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »
Inshore Lifeboat has just been called out, it's heading round the Little Orme towards Penrhyn Bay.

From Llandudno Lifeboat's Facebook page
RNLI CREW BRING DOG TO SAFETY

A young cocker spaniel puppy was rescued by a North Wales RNLI lifeboat crew this afternoon (13/1) after falling down cliffs into the sea.

The pup's owner asked for help after the puppy, Charlie, fell 100 feet down cliffs on Llandudno's Little Orme headland, ending up in the sea below.

As a result, and at the request of Holyhead Coastguard, Llandudno's RNLI inshore lifeboat launched at 3.25 p.m., reaching the scene a few minutes later. The RNLI crew quickly recovered the puppy, which from its cuts and grazes had clearly suffered a nasty fall, and were able to speak to its owner ashore.

With his agreement, Charlie was made as comfortable as possible aboard the lifeboat, which then cruised at slow speed back to the resort's lifeboat slipway for the casualty to be reunited with his owner.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1931 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »

From Llandudno Lifeboat's Facebook page
RNLI CREW BRING DOG TO SAFETY

A young cocker spaniel puppy was rescued by a North Wales RNLI lifeboat crew this afternoon (13/1) after falling down cliffs into the sea.

The pup's owner asked for help after the puppy, Charlie, fell 100 feet down cliffs on Llandudno's Little Orme headland, ending up in the sea below.

As a result, and at the request of Holyhead Coastguard, Llandudno's RNLI inshore lifeboat launched at 3.25 p.m., reaching the scene a few minutes later. The RNLI crew quickly recovered the puppy, which from its cuts and grazes had clearly suffered a nasty fall, and were able to speak to its owner ashore.

With his agreement, Charlie was made as comfortable as possible aboard the lifeboat, which then cruised at slow speed back to the resort's lifeboat slipway for the casualty to be reunited with his owner.

hmmmm interesting debate perhaps as to whether our life boats and emergency services should be used to rescue pets? I actually can't make my mind up!

Offline martin

« Reply #1932 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:11 pm »
Thankfully the crew do care for animals, just wish more people did.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1933 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »
The answer is NO..... unless its my pet of course.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1934 on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »
It's good practice for the RNLI crews, I'd have thought?