Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664408 times)

Offline cygnusx-1

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1905 on: December 29, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »
Yes, that seems to be the trend. I see no reason why services such as Social Services, Education and Highways cant be run at a North Wales regional level, even?

Is this what we had up to 1996 when Clwyd and Gwynedd County Councils existed?

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #1906 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:34 pm »
Pre 1974 (the Maud reorganisation) it was Flintshire, Denbighshire and Caernarfonshire. Each having their own Social Services Department. I worked for Flintshire in the Rhyl Office and the North Wales Hospital, Denbigh. When they smelted Flintshire and Denbighshire into Clwyd they moved me to the Colwyn Bay office where, latterly, I had to deputise in the Juvenile Courts. Goodworking relationship with Llandudno Probation which was an effective organisation then. Clwyd's standards of Social Service were absolute crap and they had an unheathily close relationship with the police (I was hauled up in front of the Deputy Director for disrespect for the police).  See the findings of the Inquiry into Child Abuse in North Wales for more information. I sent in written evidence to the Inquiry and shortly afterwards, from the police, got a false allegation of indecent assault of a boy (which was eventually dismissed by the Chief Inspector of Police). I can't prove any connection with these but I'm personally convinced there was.

If the counties had remained as smaller administrative units, Denbighshire would have only played a minor part (unless the Freemasonry variable had been fully exposed).   
Micox

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1907 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »
Body of sailor washed up on West Shore, Llandudno - North Wales Weekly News http://bit.ly/zLS7gk

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1908 on: January 05, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »
Body of sailor washed up on West Shore, Llandudno - North Wales Weekly News http://bit.ly/zLS7gk

Is this a second one or a repeat of the one we have already posted about?   Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1909 on: January 05, 2012, 06:05:52 pm »

Is this a second one or a repeat of the one we have already posted about?   Z**

repeat

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1910 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
Erm I might be talking out of line now and stirring up a hornets nest but I can't see a problem with Asda installing CCTV cameras on their car park.  Why should they provide free parking?  When I was a kid there was a kiosk on the old Asda car park and a guy used to check for a receipt from the store so you got your parking free, if you had no receipt you had to pay. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline martin

« Reply #1911 on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »
Erm I might be talking out of line now and stirring up a hornets nest but I can't see a problem with Asda installing CCTV cameras on their car park.  Why should they provide free parking?  When I was a kid there was a kiosk on the old Asda car park and a guy used to check for a receipt from the store so you got your parking free, if you had no receipt you had to pay.
I agree with you, it is Asda's car park and they should be able to police who uses it, but from what I have read, the systems that use number plate recognition cameras tend to cause no end of problems especially in cases were someone has used the car park more than once in a single day.  It is the cheap option, farm it out to a company to operate the system, they of course need to see a return on their investment on the camera's, etc, so in these circumstances, it is inevitable that "errors" will be made and people wrongly penalised.  The more friendly approach would be to continue as it is at present, with car park attendants, but increase the signage to show the parking restrictions, but that costs money, and they want to squeeze every penny out of us they can, so the cheap option it is, and sod the customers! $angry$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1912 on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
looks like there will be more people parking in Oxford Road and Ffordd Penrhyn when these cameras come into force

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1913 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »
Don't forget that they can't make you pay it, they can charge you but cannot fine you. I still say that it is totally wrong for DVLA to sell your info to these parking companies.
Having said that, I agree that it is their carpark to do as they want, I have to say though I've never had any trouble finding a space there, getting out is the problem if you go on the wrong time of day   $angry$             
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1914 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »
I've heard a story that a taxi driver was attacked early on Saturday morning, any truth in the story?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1915 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
looks like there will be more people parking in Oxford Road and Ffordd Penrhyn when these cameras come into force

Especially those people who have been used to parking there whilst at work or whilst going around the town!

2 hours is plenty for me and I cannor see why it should not be enough for most people.

The ANPR system is very reliable and does not rely on human interpretation so no one should receive charges if they use the car park in accordance with the instructions.

Any charge is only a Civil Debt and can only be recovered by County Court action if you do not pay when a "ticket" is issued.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #1916 on: January 08, 2012, 06:51:27 pm »
 I don't know for sure but was it part of its planning permission to have free parking ???? I could be wrong

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1917 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:52 pm »
All this could be conected to the new car park that is being placed on platform 4 and 5 on the station with 150 spaces but im not sure who will get the money,i guess it will be network rail

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1918 on: January 10, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
I was talking with a local businessman earlier and I noticed that yet more of Mostyn Street's street lighting has stopped working. The entire section from Gimberts corner down to the Town House pub is off. Combine that with the fact that the ones on the Carlton and former Woolworths still haven't been fixed and you have one side of the Carlton roundabout almost in darkness, along with the pedestrian crossing.

When someone gets run over at night there, who at CCBC will carry the can and resign?

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #1919 on: January 10, 2012, 07:35:22 pm »
I have just reported the street lights issue via the Report It site on the Council's website

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/drstreetlights.asp?cat=2805&doc=15473&Language=1

We'll see if that has any effect