Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612554 times)

Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #870 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »
I read them all and also checked out all his "friends".  I wonder if he knows?     _))*

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #871 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:21 am »
Abbey Lodge again!

Planning permission applied for in todays NWWN to knock down original lodge and to amend plans already passed.  haven't been round there since the foundations were laid.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #872 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »
Abbey Lodge again!

Planning permission applied for in todays NWWN to knock down original lodge and to amend plans already passed.  haven't been round there since the foundations were laid.
To knock down the lodge that was knocked down months ago?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »
St. Dunstans new centre will need 70 staff, all the info is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.st-dunstans.org.uk/about_us/working_for_st_dunstans/index.html

Photos of the work to get the Centre ready are here:
http://www.st-dunstans.org.uk/support_us/llandudno_capital_appeal/llandudno_centre.html

Image courtesy St. Dunstans

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #874 on: April 01, 2011, 12:48:02 pm »
Abbey Lodge again!

The builder obviously knows the loopholes in planning laws! I can't see the Lodge here in the photo I took on the 7th October 2010.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #875 on: April 02, 2011, 08:24:04 am »
Cycling on the promenade update.

1057. CYCLING ON LLANDUDNO PROMENADE

The Capital Programming and Traffic Engineer sought Members’ views
regarding the use of Llandudno Promenade for un-segregated cycling, and
to review the byelaw prohibiting cycling.

Representations had been received from the Llandudno Promenade
Consultative Group requesting a review of an existing cycling prohibition
on the Promenade.

The issue had been placed on the Communities Forward Work
Programme by Councillor Christine Rees Jones.

In support of reviewing cycling on the promenade Councillor Christine
Jones made the following observations:-

•   Not allowing cycling on the promenade was out of step with other seaside towns

•   Cycling should be allowed for reasons of health, tourism and leisure

•   In relation to health and safety issues, accidents also happened on roads and pavements

•   Cycling on the Parade was dangerous

•   The byelaws were not clear and could be open to interpretation

•   Cyclists should be allowed on the Promenade on an informal basis

•   Cycling could be allowed for a trial period

•   A Task and Finish Group could be established to look at best practiceof other Local Authorities which permitted cycling on theirPromenades

Comments and answers to questions were as follows:-

•   On 24 August 2006 Cabinet had refused a variety of options to allow cycling on the Promenade

•   Parade Road, adjacent to the Promenade, was dangerous for cyclists

•   The Promenade was wide enough to allow cyclists and pedestrians

•   Mostyn Estates would need to be consulted, in the first instance, before consideration was given by the Council to allow cycling on the
•   Promenade; this was to ascertain whether they would object as they own the Promenade

•   Although the byelaws could be improved upon, for clarity the Acting Corporate Director confirmed that cycling was not permitted on the Promenade

•   If objections were made against a change to a byelaw it could lead to a public inquiry

•   Heritage Lottery Funding had been received for the gardens, which ran parallel to the Promenade, and Local Electoral Division Members did not want them removed in order to provide a cycle route

•   The need for cyclists to obtain insurance, in case of accidents, was discussed

•   Although there had been no reported accidents or collisions between cyclists and pedestrians, there had been anecdotal evidence of incidents and near misses

•   Health and safety issues would need to be considered in detail

As a way forward it was agreed to establish a politically balanced
Promenade Cycling Task and Finish Group to review the previous decision
of Cabinet not to allow cycling on Llandudno Promenade.

RESOLVED that

a politically balanced Promenade Cycling Task and Finish
Group be established to:-

•   Consult with Mostyn Estates
•   Ascertain best practice of other Local Authorities
•   Discuss Health and Safety Issues
•   Review the current byelaw

Councillor Linda Groom requested that her voted against the above
recommendation be noted.

Councillors Philip C. Evans J.P., Linda Groom and Margaret Lyon declared
a personal, but non-prejudicial interest in the above as they are all
Members of Llandudno Town Council

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #876 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:35 am »
This whole cycling on the Prom thing is a non issue and a waste of Council time. I see people cycling on the Prom every day. Incidentally, I was walking along the Prom in Colwyn Bay last weekend and, once again, cyclists were riding on the pavement rather than the cycle path.

Waffagolf

« Reply #877 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:25 am »

My Dad used to live in the Lodge they've knocked down. I have a picture of him as a 2 or 3 year old sitting right outside with his mum on the doorstep watching him play. I was very sad when I heard the Lodge had gone.

Nasty accident not far from there the other evening when a cyclist coming down the Orme at speed around 8pm collided with a fox crossing the road. One could not see the other. I'm told the cyclist was not in a good way.
Abbey Lodge again!

The builder obviously knows the loopholes in planning laws! I can't see the Lodge here in the photo I took on the 7th October 2010.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #878 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:03 am »
Welcome to the forum, Waf
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #879 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »

I wonder if a one way system down the Parade and back up Mostyn Street (or vice versa) for all traffic could be the answer.  :cyclist40:

Offline Paddy

« Reply #880 on: April 02, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

I wonder if a one way system down the Parade and back up Mostyn Street (or vice versa) for all traffic could be the answer.  :cyclist40:

It's a good idea which has been mooted often over the years. It would certainly solve the problem of tailbacks caused by coaches loading/unloading on the Prom.

Yorkie

« Reply #881 on: April 02, 2011, 01:58:21 pm »
I can give you a plan which I drew up a few years ago whilst I was in Hospital for a few weeks following an operation.    No one was interested despite the relative simplicity of the arrangement.    $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: April 02, 2011, 02:05:41 pm »
Twenty four years ago, a plan to pedestrianise Mostyn Street was put forward, to be defeated by the shops en masse complaining it would destroy their businesses through the loss of 'passing trade'.  Twenty four years on and the declining number of surviving shops are blaming the Parc Llandudno and Mostyn Champney shops for their impending demise. Perhaps if they'd employed a little more foresight and a little less tunnel vision Mostyn Street would still be thriving.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #883 on: April 02, 2011, 05:42:12 pm »
Ian, I was not suggesting pedestrianisation.

If all the traffic went up Mostyn Street with M&S on their right-hand side this would immediately eliminate the present queues coming down Mostyn Street towards Bog Island.

There already is a designated cycle path that comes down Conway Road by the Magistrates' Courts to join up with my proposed one-way route up Mostyn Street.

I would certainly be interested in listening to Yorkie's suggestion if he is prepared to share it with us.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #884 on: April 02, 2011, 06:32:20 pm »
A real feeling of Summer today, with beautiful weather and both the tramway and cable car in full operation. Town and Pier were packed.

Descending the Great Orme by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

$walesflag$