Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2657727 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #750 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14:43 pm »
There's a bailifs letter on the door of the now closed barbers in Brookes Street too - shame.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #751 on: March 08, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »
Going back a day or two to the closure of Wellworths, several members expressed the opinion that if Woolworths could'nt make a go of it, then no similar store has any chance. I agree in Llandudno high street. But with one proviso. If a large company selling in a particular fashion fails, it does'ent necessarily mean that a new firm could not succeed in a particular site doing the same thing because the big national company would have had good stores, middling stores and poor stores, and if it had too many poor stores, then end of story. But someone taking one of the closed good sites could do well. Mike  P.S. I was very touched that one of the forum members, who shall remain anonimous to save his blushes, wrote to me whilst I was away on holiday to see if I was O.K.  Thats more than half my own family bothered to do.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »
Good to have you back, Mike!  $walesflag$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #753 on: March 08, 2011, 02:04:35 pm »
Thanks Dave. In a way its nice to be back. But then the sun is shining. Dont know if I'll be so keen when the wind and rain return. Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #754 on: March 08, 2011, 02:08:16 pm »
Welcome back, Michael :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #755 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:17 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #756 on: March 08, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »
Nice to know that you are back Mike. :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #757 on: March 09, 2011, 12:47:34 am »
Welcome back Mike.

Curry for tea this evening?  $dins$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #758 on: March 09, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »
Alworths has now reopened, after 'discussions' with their landlords, to carry on with their closing down sale!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2011, 03:02:34 am »
Alworths has now reopened, after 'discussions' with their landlords, to carry on with their closing down sale!

$lol$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: March 11, 2011, 10:08:11 am »
I've moved the posts that drifted significantly off topic into the Coffee Centre.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Richard

« Reply #761 on: March 11, 2011, 11:32:43 am »

I am very pleased to see that continued local concern discussed earlier in this forum has been taken seriously by local councillors Jason Wyman and Mike Priestley who gives an update here on his blog http://mikepriestley.blogspot.com/2011/03/quick-updatedog-fouling.html

Even JFS gives it a mention in her 'non-too-informative' blog.

Alos, there has been much press coverage of local legislation on dogs. The facts are that many, perhaps the greater majority, of dog owners (and I speak as a dog owner myself for the last 20 years) cannot be trusted to clean up the dog mess that thier animals leave behind and the result has to be education and if nesseccary, enforced legislation. 

Dog fouling is one of the most off-putting issues for the area for both locals and visitors alike.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #762 on: March 11, 2011, 11:50:09 am »
Good news, it seems to me if dogs are off a lead then some owners will not see what the dogs are doing, if the owners are talking to other people then they cannot see what is happening with their dogs. Dog owners have undertaken a 24 / 7 responsibility to look after every aspect of the dog including cleaning up after them.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #763 on: March 11, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »
You are correct about this dog mess problem being off putting. Last summer I spent the first fifteen minutes every day cleaning it up.  But whilst Ive been in India I have given it some thought. Yes---thats right---what a way to spend a holiday!!! But I could'nt help it. As you probably know, in India animals and humans mix together all the time, there are stray dogs everywhere, cattle mix around the markets and come into the entrance of cafes and bars, goats are mingling amongst the traffic. But the dogs. Whilst they are young, male, fit they have a whale of a time, playing around, sleeping in the sun, chasing after each other. And getting food to eat. Most of the ones are saw are far from starving. (If they are old, ill, injured or a bitch---then thats a different matter).  But after a few weeks I noticed, I was amongst them every day and night, and I never once saw any sign of mess from them. Nor did I ever once see one making a mess. Not like here where you see it everyday.
  I thought about this. One thing, of course, is away from the village roads there are plenty of open spaces. But I also thought, is it anything to do with their diet? The indian dogs dont eat canned dog food. No doubt they would if they could get it, but they cannot get it.  If they are fed at all by humans, they get our food. Mainly rice (and curry)  otherwise they just scavange.  Has this got anything to do with it?  Im posting this in the Whats Llandudno like subject because its carrying on from previous posts

brumbob

« Reply #764 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »
If they are fed at all by humans, they get our food. Mainly rice (and curry)
Doesn't that make you go  :laugh: