Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663864 times)

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?.....Is Conwy Council right?
« Reply #8835 on: February 23, 2023, 12:39:48 pm »
Is Conwy Council right to crack down on Llandudno street parking?
They're planning to put restrictions throughout the town

Like any seaside town, Llandudno depends on tourism to bring in money and visitors. However people are split over a plan to reduce street parking in the town.

Conwy Council wants to slap parking restrictions on 54 streets in Llandudno, Craig y Don and Penrhyn Bay. The move would move people towards taking public transport, but locals have warned it will affect the area?s holiday trade too.

Under the plans, parking will be banned on 48 streets at all times. Parking will be prohibited between 9am-6pm on a further three roads in the peak summer season (April 1 to September 30).

Three more will have 120-minute parking between 8am and 6pm on Mondays to Saturdays. You can see a complete list of affected streets here.    cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-right-crack-down-26303688?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

The parking restrictions are proposed on: Tudno Street, Old Road, Great Orme Road, Bryniau Road, Church Walks, Abbey Road, West Parade, Church Walks, Vadre Lane, Whiston Passage, Salisbury Passage, Salisbury Road, Bryniau Road, Great Ormes Road, Cwm Road, Ffordd Penrhyn, Fferm Bach Road, Meadow Gardens, Brookes Street, Ty Gwyn Road, Maesdu Road, Ffordd Penrhyn, St Mary's Road, Derwen Lane, Mostyn Street, Tudor Road, Trinity Avenue, Conway Road,

Vicarage Avenue, Maenan Road, Eryl Place, St Andrews Avenue, Trinity Avenue, The Oval, Bodnant Crescent, Bodnant Road, St David's Road, Nant y Gamar Road, Victoria Avenue, Queens Road, West Parade, Dale Road, Lloyd Street West, West Parade, T'yn y Coed Road, Clifton Road, Stephen Street, Mostyn Avenue, Craig y Don, Clarence Road, Glan y Mor Road, Penrhyn Bay, Colwyn Road, and Gloddaeth Street.

Online SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8836 on: February 28, 2023, 10:38:43 am »
Llandudno residents oppose glamping pod over smoke and parking claims
A planning application has been submitted for a wooden glamping pod and associated ancillary works

But some neighbours living on Bodafon Road have written to Conwy objecting to the plans. Ms Karon Glynn sent a letter to Conwy complaining about several issues caused by campers.

"The glamping pod on the site is heated by a wood burner as is the associated hot tub on site," she said.
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-residents-oppose-glamping-pod-26344944?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

A WOMAN from Liverpool has named her dog after her favourite Welsh town Llandudno.
Sarah Sinnott, a healthcare worker, said her dog, a Wire-Haired Dachshund, loves visiting the seaside town as much as she does.
cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23350245.woman-names-dog-llandudno-favourite-welsh-town/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Online SteveH

« Reply #8837 on: March 01, 2023, 10:07:50 am »
Majority fear Conwy Council parking clamp down will reduce tourism if approved
A North Wales Live poll found 9 in 10 people felt stricter restrictions would have a negative impact on tourism

Conwy Council is proposing strict new parking restrictions for more than 50 streets in Llandudno, Craig y Don and Penrhyn Bay. The council says the new rules would improve traffic flow and road safety, but not everyone supports the proposal.

Some fear the strict parking measures will drive tourists away from some of North Wales' most popular tourist destinations. Others have expressed concerns about the impact the rules will have on residents who already struggle to find parking.

Following strong reactions to the plans, we conducted a poll to find out what North Wales Live's readers thought. The poll, which was answered by more than 300 people, found that the overwhelming majority appeared to oppose the new measures.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/majority-fear-conwy-council-parking-26356223

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8838 on: March 04, 2023, 10:23:26 pm »
Three arrested as police swoop on empty Llandudno hotel
Three men were taken from within the hotel and taken away by officers

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/three-arrested-police-swoop-empty-26391352

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-police-cordon-road-llandudno-26390882

Online SteveH

« Reply #8839 on: March 06, 2023, 10:07:28 am »
What next for eyebrow raising Llandudno regeneration plan and its 70+ ideas for town
Some of the projects caught the attention of residents and visitors but overall direction was welcomed

A regeneration plan to transform Llandudno was announced last year. It was shown to stakeholders in the summer and North Wales Live obtained a copy of the documents.

International consultancy Mace had been commissioned by Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) to deliver a 10 year Regeneration Plan for future growth and investment. There were more than 70 ideas put forward in the comprehensive report.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-next-eyebrow-raising-llandudno-26363710?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8840 on: March 06, 2023, 12:22:20 pm »
It would be interesting to know who exactly is on the Project Board.  I was intrigued by the suggestion of an extension of a tram to serve Llandudno.  What can this mean - the Great Orme Tram to terminate at North Western Gardens ??  If "Transport for Wales" actually recognised the Town's importance as a holiday/conference/day trip venue and opened the ticket office until 1800 instead of closing the whole waiting area around 1500 it would be a start.

Online Hugo

« Reply #8841 on: March 06, 2023, 02:15:33 pm »
Some good points you've raised there Cambrian.    I wonder if Mr Edward Hiller is one of those people on the Project Board, the same person who promised Victorian style lights for the Promenade a decade ago
The same one who refused to pay for the pavement improvements in Mostyn Street although the company he works for actually owns the land
The tram service was also touted about some years ago when Mr Hiller suggested a park and ride scheme where the tram would go from Bodafon Farm to Llandudno Railway Station,        Of course us locals know that that idea was just a prelude to being able to build houses on Bodafon Farm
Like Cambrian has said it would be nice to know who exactly is on the Project Board

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8842 on: March 06, 2023, 05:06:38 pm »
Just read through the Plan & really don't know what to think of it. One suggestion for West Shore is to put showers in & make it an area for water sports. Really!!!!!!!!! The last thing we need in the estuary is boy racers on jet skies. What about damage to the mussel beds? Also suggested suitable for surfing which is laughable, but that's what they get for using a London Company to carry out the research. Edward Hiller is mentioned under the heading 'Private Sector Stakeholder Engagement'.

Online Hugo

« Reply #8843 on: March 06, 2023, 10:21:04 pm »
That's interesting Meleri  "Edward Hiller is mentioned under the heading 'Private Sector Stakeholder Engagement"   I suppose he'll be the one pulling the strings
I do remember him plugging something similar for the town a few years ago but we'll see what happens to this idea        I hope I'm wrong but I can't imagine them doing anything for the youngsters in Llandudno but I've a feeling that Bodafon fields will pop up somewhere

Online SteveH

« Reply #8844 on: March 07, 2023, 10:25:16 am »
I think the main point of this exercise is to see what the government will pay for, then take any credit going.........

Quote from original article......
Conwy council said: "Since the Autumn we?ve shared the report with our Project Board and agreed a reporting structure to monitor progress of the actions contained within the plan.

"We?ve also been busy identifying funding streams in order to carry out a number of priorities contained within the plan.

"Alongside this, a number of Community Place Plans within Conwy County have been developed using UK Government?s Community Renewal Funding. Now that all plans are nearing finalisation we?ll take them through our democratic process together.

Offline Dave

« Reply #8845 on: March 08, 2023, 06:03:00 am »
What do I know about tourism ? Very little if truth be known. However, I think there are options that are relatively inexpensive that would add to Llandudno?s appeal.
Solving the parking problem would be high in my agenda.
Personally I would favour making the traffic along the prom one way after the roundabout at the sailing club and make Mostyn St the same on the opposite direction. That would ease congestion caused by coaches off loading their passengers.
I would leave Alan Williams to coming up with a suitable plan to attract youngsters to his Pavillion site.
The constant claims there is nothing for young people to do amazes me. There can?t be a time when they had more on offer than they do now but I am not of that generation so should not judge.
The council should extend the opening times of the tram service to take in at least the sunset and the Summit cafe could be somewhere people could enjoy an evening meal.
I?d investigate car numberplate recognition costs to monitor traffic around the Marine drive to collect tolls and hopefully stop anti social behaviour and illegal overnight parking and littering.
The most investment should be in maintaining Bodafon Fields as a recreation site whilst still maintaining a green field appearance. It could host park and ride and solve the parking issues on Nant-y-Gamar Rd at the same time. I would envisage showground facilities be made available for events to be held there. More water and electric points, possibly overnight camping too. The majority of the farmland should remain as it is. The Bodafon Farm site itself is another eyesore which if offered I?m sure could become an excellent wedding and other event location. The current use as a family farm visit could be maintained and improved with entry part of the park and ride or camping fee?
Anyway those are just some ideas which may or may not be practical.
What no one wants are schemes that are not self sustaining or appeal to a small minority. One of the truly successful tourism developments in the locality was when the Council sold off the caravan site in Conwy Morfa but the successful bidder wasn?t the highest from what I recall but the one that offered the council a share of the future profits. We need more like that because most council run schemes end up being failures or fail to exploit the potential from what I can see.Mostyn Estates might have ownership in many cases but the council have the final say until of course come election day.

Offline Helig

« Reply #8846 on: March 08, 2023, 10:15:27 am »
One of the attractions of Llandudno was that, although being a seaside town, it had an unusual charm in that it wasn't full of touristy tat. The natural beauty of the town drew people to it for many years. I know these days tourism is a big money maker but it would be a shame to spoil the area with fairgrounds, markets full of rubbish and such like. Not having lived there for some time now I am not familiar with parking problems but think any park and ride schemes should be a distance out and within reach of the main routes into the town. Chester put park and ride schemes in very successfully in the 1970s and the manner in which these were located was such they didn't create a blot on the surrounding areas. The council should take action to remedy eyesores such as the Pier Pavilion site. It could be developed as an eco town with low carbon activities and maybe deter cars from the town itself.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8847 on: March 08, 2023, 11:06:09 am »
One of the attractions of Llandudno was that, although being a seaside town, it had an unusual charm in that it wasn't full of touristy tat. The natural beauty of the town drew people to it for many years.

More importantly, the age group attracted to the town tend to enjoy walking and similar activities, which exploit what Llandudno already has in abundance. Our children are now in their thirties, but they love the place, and with the plethora of activities being developed (let's hope that will include the Surf Snowdonia centre) Llandudno's ideally placed to benefit from an increased staycation trend, without spending vast amounts.

That, of course, doesn't include the tragic disaster area some call a 'beach'. That does need cash and quickly, because seaside towns without a beach look very sorry indeed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Hugo

« Reply #8848 on: March 08, 2023, 11:58:09 am »
I believe that Mostyn Estates could have had a park and ride scheme on land they owned just outside of Llandudno but turned it down.
Their preference was for a park and ride from Bodafon Fields and no doubt an ulterior motive

Online Hugo

« Reply #8849 on: March 08, 2023, 02:45:45 pm »
As a person born in Llandudno and growing up there,  I did think that there wasn't a lot for youngsters to do.    We did have two open air swimming pools nearby, one at the Lido Deganwy and the other at Rhos on Sea.   There was also a roller skating rink and when it rained there was also Tucson's Amusements under the Pier Pavilion and there were four cinemas in the town.
There was also another place where you could go to watch TV, or play music and dance.    You could also play darts, snooker, table tennis, chess plus other games.    For those that wanted to there wras a gym plus a canoe and walking club.   Those activities were all housed in one building and run by a lovely couple Mr & Mrs Dewi Jones
Anyone my age will know that I'm referring of course to the Llandudno Youth Centre.      It saddens me that the place is now closed and the town has not provided a replacement for it.     In fact the building has been demolished and replaced by an apartment block.probably for people retiring to the area.