Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663738 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7665 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:32 pm »
I tend to try and avoid the town centre during the summer, but the few times that I have ventured there I have found that the people seem to be in groups, filling the pavements and 'taking no prisoners'. Have manners been dispensed with?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7666 on: August 09, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »
Yes Ian, I do, and I'm watching it with my own eyes!
I forgot to add, the Punch and Judy man is in full agreement with me.
About 6 pier shops have remained empty this year, totally unheard of in the past, but that might have been more to do with the rents.
But... it's really about 2 other things, people are spending less, and Llandudno is attracting the TYPE of people who spend less.  Mr Punch has spotted this phenomena more than most.

You will find, if you choose to investigate the facts for yourself, that Llandudno is busy for a four hour segment of each day.  Noon til 4pm approximately. Then it's a ghost town either side of it.

On a weekend, that expands til approximately 6pm.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7667 on: August 10, 2017, 08:00:27 am »
You will find, if you choose to investigate the facts for yourself, that Llandudno is busy for a four hour segment of each day.  Noon til 4pm approximately. Then it's a ghost town either side of it.

Well, that's not our experience Fester.  In fact, I've noticed how much busier it's become first thing when - owing to M & S opening later than they did - it used to be rather quiet.  But we've had this debate before and until we get concrete evidence one way or the other we'll have to agree to differ.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7668 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
Back to the proposed event and planning application for Queens Park, Craig-y-Don.

The application is still very much alive and needs as much support as possible to stop it happening.
A meeting on behalf of residents was held in the Craig-y-Don community centre last night were local residents could put forwards their objections wasn't well publicised and unfortunately I missed it. On Friday a meeting were businesses will put forward their reasons to why they think it should go ahead will be held at Dylans restaurant at 4.00pm this coming Friday 11/08/17. I shall attend that with interest.

Despite objections there is probably still apathy in putting pen to paper but there is an alternative, you can email the licensing department. The address is:-  licensing@conwy.gov.uk

You can copy and paste this if it helps:-

Dear Sir/Madam,
An application to grant a licence to hold events throughout the year from Wednesdays through to Sundays and from 10.00am to 11.30 pm has been posted in Craig-y-Don’s Queens Park. The application requests permission to sell food, alcohol and play both recorded and live music.
In what is primarily a residential area I object strongly to the permission being granted for a variety of reasons. Noise,public order, litter, vandalism and parking concerns being amongst them.
There are far more appropriate places for such events to be held. Craig-yDon’s park isn’t one of them.
There is no justification for granting this licence which is a blatant attempt at commercial gain and little to do with putting something back in to the community.
Yours sincerely

but you need to give your full name and address and a phone number too so it can be authenticated.

Just one minute of your time if you don't your neighbourhood being intruded by this unnecessary disturbance. Don't for one minute think it will stop at a single event, if it's a commercial success...and the aim is to get 1000 people or more.... there will be more to follow. What is now seen as a beautiful park could soon become the platform for all sorts of events.
Please don't let that happen.

You have until the 20th August to object but don't wait..go for it now!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7669 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »
Few suggested edits  $good$

Back to the proposed event and planning application for Queens Park, Craig-y-Don.

The application is still very much alive and needs as much support as possible to stop it happening.
A meeting on behalf of residents was held in the Craig-y-Don community centre last night were local residents could put forwards their objections wasn't well publicised and unfortunately I missed it. On Friday a meeting were businesses will put forward their reasons to why they think it should go ahead will be held at Dylans restaurant at 4.00pm this coming Friday 11/08/17. I shall attend that with interest.

Despite objections there is probably still apathy in putting pen to paper but there is an alternative, you can email the licensing department. The address is:-  licensing@conwy.gov.uk

You can copy and paste this if it helps:-

Dear Sir/Madam,
An application to grant a licence to hold events throughout the year from Wednesdays through to Sundays and from 10.00am to 11.30 pm has been posted in Craig-y-Don’s Queens Park. The application requests permission to sell food, alcohol and play both recorded and live music.

"Their plan is very sensitive to local residents, with only acoustic music being planned and the day wrapping up by 9pm.

In what is primarily a residential area I object strongly to the permission being granted for a variety of reasons. Noise,public order, litter, vandalism and parking concerns being amongst them.
There are far more appropriate places for such events to be held. Craig-yDon’s park isn’t one of them.
There is no justification for granting this licence which is a blatant attempt at commercial gain and little to do with putting something back in to the community.

"The Friends of the Park have always asked the local community what they would like to see happen in the park. A music festival has consistently been a suggestion.
Yours sincerely

but you need to give your full name and address and a phone number too so it can be authenticated.

Just one minute of your time if you don't your neighbourhood being intruded by this unnecessary disturbance. Don't for one minute think it will stop at a single event, if it's a commercial success...and the aim is to get 1000 people or more.... there will be more to follow

"Also, it is very clear from their professionalism that the park will be fully protected throughout and will be returned to its pristine state after the event.”"

. What is now seen as a beautiful park could soon become the platform for all sorts of events.
Please don't let that happen.

The Friends of Queens Park in Craig y Don have reassured residents that the application for a premises licence by Gorjys Events is only intended to allow for a one-day music and food festival.

You have until the 20th August to object but don't wait..go for it now!
[/quote]

"“We are aware that the license notices posted around the park give the impression of a bigger event and we understand why people may have some concerns,” he said.

“We hope that now they understand what is actually being planned and that they will be able to offer their support.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7670 on: August 10, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »
What might seem a united front by the "Friends of the Park" isn't in actual fact accurate from what i can gather.
Chairman Andy Brazier's  comments to the press were his opinions and not the committees it seems.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/bid-sell-booze-play-music-13398332#ICID=IYA

In the press release/interview he said that the application was primarily for an event called Slam in the Park.

It won't stop there, once permission is granted it's open season.
We are all allowed our opinions of course but mine is obviously strongly opposed.
Let the majority decide, it's their neighbourhood but as I warned, apathy won't be a valid excuse to complain later when you realise what is happening.

PS The park can't be restored to it's pristine state if trees are damaged and flowers are trampled.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7671 on: August 10, 2017, 04:32:59 pm »
Campaign to stop 'nuisance' Food Slam at Llandudno park going ahead

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/campaign-stop-nuisance-food-slam-13459620

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7672 on: August 10, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
"A public meeting is to be held over concerns a food and music event could cause “crime and disorder” and “vandalism”."

_))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7673 on: August 10, 2017, 05:03:31 pm »
2 comments from Facebook about the Food Slam.

Have any of these complaining rrsidents ever been to a food slam event??? I live in menai bridge which holds one regularly as well as the seafood festival.....these are great events and every effoet is made ti ensure litter is at a minimum, while providing many events, things to do and various food from many different outlets and businesses (so its not just Dylans using ur park to make money, it benefits many businesses)...many local that many wont have even heard of........embrace it........no wonder nobody wants to do anything in this area when people just complain...

It's always the same when people move into the area to retire they force the younger generation to move out so they can have a quiet live
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #7674 on: August 10, 2017, 05:47:55 pm »
You miss the point Fester. This isn't just about a Food Slam event, there is no reason to apply for a 12 month 5 day licence if that was all that was intended.Why wasn't a single day application within the frame of supposed timeframe of the Slam event made in the first place? Perhaps that would have been seen as more acceptable.
As for people moving to to the area for their retirement and forcing young people out, I hold my hand up and admit to being of pensionable age but I have lived in Craig-y-Don for over 30 years and would have objected to the use of the park for a multitude of events when I was younger too. The park used to have public toilets but they were closed and later demolished when they were being frequented by underage drinkers, glue sniffers and a multitude of other undesirables. That's why a ban on drinking in the park was introduced. Only in the last year or two Blind Veterans found it necessary at some cost to erect a wooden 6 foot fence alongside their grounds the length of Fferm Bach Rd to prevent those who were now drinking, sniffing,injecting and defecating in and around the bushes there instead. We already find litter from the fast food take ways not only in CYD's streets but all along the A470 out of town. It's my belief that undesirable behaviour would become an issue if alcohol consumption was legitimised, encouraged even, once again.
Now, if Menai Bridge want to play host to any kind of event that's fine and I wouldn't have any thoughts about stopping them doing so but we are talking about a park in CYD and it's up top the local residents to decide what they want. Simple as that. All very well slamming every CYD resident as being in God's waiting room but if that's the case so be it.They are the local community.
I think born2run has made his case for loud music and alcohol as being the missing ingredient for what's on offer for Llandudno's youth ( 16-21 years apparently) but some of us think it shouldn't be in Queen's Park.

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #7675 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:09 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who turned a park we could not take our children to because of all the problems caused by various types who drank and smashed bottles, took drugs, used it as a toilet.  These people who are volunteers worked very hard to transform this park raising a lot of money and working for 1,000`s of hours into somewhere where it is a delight for all ages to enjoy safely.   Dylans and the like would not be interested in this venue if it is as it was  before the volunteers came together.

I cannot understand why a one off licence for the day cannot be applied for if they really need to sell alcohol.  The trouble with alcohol is that somehow folk feel so uninhibited as to create a greater mess than they would when sober.  I feel a bit sorry for Dylan`s they really do not seem to understand that this area is different from Menai Bridge and Criccieth in its attitude to partying.  They may have to reap a whirlwind if they go ahead with this.    If I was them I would hold it at Bodafon Farm Park, now they used to have a lot of trouble from residents in the area which thankfully has abated now.  It is further away and you can make noise without upsetting too many folk.  Parking is better too.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7676 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:01 am »
I don't know the history of Craig-y-Don park but having been to food slams in Menai Bridge, I think some of the fears of residents are overblown. This is the sort of event we should be welcoming. Having said that, lack of toilet facilities would be an issue.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7677 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:57 am »
I don't know the history of Craig-y-Don park but having been to food slams in Menai Bridge, I think some of the fears of residents are overblown. This is the sort of event we should be welcoming. Having said that, lack of toilet facilities would be an issue.

Portaloos Tom don't worry. It's going to be bad enough with all the young folk running around off their heads vandalising everything in site and committing  "crime and disorder" without having to worry about where to spend a penny as well. ££$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7678 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:18 am »
I can't tell if you're being serious born2run? Why does everyone seem to think this will lead to vandalising? It hasn't anywhere else.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7679 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:30 am »
I can't tell if you're being serious born2run? Why does everyone seem to think this will lead to vandalising? It hasn't anywhere else.

Deadly serious Tom, I've heard this is going to be the next Woodstock. People off their heads and naked everywhere and 100,000 delinquents descending on Craig Y Don park. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN  &shake&