Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2726847 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #9015 on: October 26, 2023, 10:24:40 am »
Award success shows Llandudno is 'still the Queen of Welsh Resorts'
The town has been awarded gold at the Britain in Bloom Awards

A proud councillor says Llandudno is still the Queen of Welsh Resorts after the town was awarded a horticulture and environmental award. Councillors and volunteers travelled down to London this week for the Britain in Bloom Awards ceremony where they were awarded the prestigious gold award.

The award follows the Wales in Bloom judges last year also awarding Llandudno a gold award before putting the town forward for the best coastal town in the UK, representing Wales. Llandudno was one of a handful of towns to be awarded gold.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/award-success-shows-llandudno-still-27980376?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #9016 on: October 29, 2023, 09:23:41 am »
Llandudno is still the Queen of Welsh Resorts, says a proud councillor after the town was awarded a horticulture and environmental award.

Councillors and volunteers travelled down to London this week for the Britain in Bloom Awards ceremony where they were awarded the prestigious gold award.

The award follows the Wales in Bloom judges last year also awarding Llandudno a gold award before putting the town forward for the best coastal town in the UK, representing Wales.

Llandudno were one of a handful of towns to be awarded gold.

Despite Lytham in north west England and East Haven in Scotland being crowned overall joint winners, Cllr Louise Emery, who travelled to the ceremony, believes Llandudno has both hands on the crown of best Welsh resort.

?For the town, it does mean a lot. I know we have the gold signs on the road. But one of the many comments visitors make is how the town is well looked after, how it is free of litter, and how most of the time the parks are beautiful and the beaches are clean.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23883169.llandudno-still-queen-welsh-resorts/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #9017 on: October 30, 2023, 12:45:37 pm »
Cllr McCoubrey said the storm was extreme, affecting all parts of the UK.
?As news reports from across the UK showed, the conditions during Storm Babet were extreme,? he said. ?Emergency service and local authority partners across North Wales met regularly and worked closely throughout the day to ensure a co-ordinated approach to the weather conditions.

Its no good  saying the whole of the UK was affected, CCBC only have to worry about Conwy residents, also as has already been said
not enough pre-emptive work carried out, by both the council and Welsh Water, I have written to local councilors expressing my opinions.

I received a reply to the above from Councillor Saville.....

I understand that the Council have a list of culverts and water courses that are likely to block and cause flooding, and that these are cleared periodically.  Unfortunately, the Council rely on people (including the public) to report blocked gullies along the rest of the gully network ? usually they are pretty quick to respond once a report has been submitted.  I have reported this particular gully to the Council and will let you know once I hear anything back.  The easiest way to report blocked gullies is online through https://flooding.reporting.conwy.gov.uk/en - this webpage maps almost the entire gully network, so you can pick the blocked gully individually and log it as blocked.

Since last week?s floods I?ve met with the Council?s Flood Risk and Infrastructure Manager and have been assured that the Council will be carried out a formal review of the causes of flooding in Llandudno and suggested mitigation steps.  This report will be completed with input from Welsh Water and (I believe) Natural Resources Wales.  I will try to share a copy of the review with you once it?s completed.

It should also be noted, that getting house insurance is difficult in Llandudno, it is either refused or extreme conditions set, which is an added concern for those affected.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #9018 on: October 30, 2023, 01:06:04 pm »
It's just an observation but if anyone is thinking of buying an apartment in Llandudno, they should think seriously about buying one on the first floor or above.
Sadly the floods will happen again despite any assurances from CCBC or Welsh Water

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #9019 on: October 30, 2023, 02:12:02 pm »
Hi Hugo,
 re flood warnings, do you consider Bodlondeb Castle a flood risk ?
There is very nice a ground floor apartment  for sale.
John

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/9614715/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #9020 on: October 30, 2023, 02:15:27 pm »
It's just an observation but if anyone is thinking of buying an apartment in Llandudno, they should think seriously about buying one on the first floor or above.
Sadly the floods will happen again despite any assurances from CCBC or Welsh Water

Our first accommodation in Llandudno was a second floor apartment, refused flood cover, on the basis it could damage the footings etc.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9021 on: October 30, 2023, 03:21:56 pm »
Hi Hugo,
John

I'm not an expert on that location John but those apartments look really great and I don't want to put you off.     You're in luck here because DaveR from the forum at one time lived in an apartment there so he should be able to tell you more
Give him a PM and ask for his expert views on the place.     My comments referred to the flat lands of Llandudno where there will be a problem again in later years

I've attached a link for you showing the flood water of 1993 going down Old Road to the town but I can't tell you if Bodlondeb was affected or not
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/1993-great-orme-floods-video-12431592

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?....TIMBER and builders' merchants opened
« Reply #9022 on: October 31, 2023, 09:50:35 am »
A TIMBER and builders' merchants opened its new store in Llandudno today (October 30).

C.L. Jones Timber & Builders' Merchants, which has sites across North Wales including in Kinmel Bay and Llanrwst, opened its Llandudno site today.

"Visit our new store in Llandudno, Council Street West, LL30 1ED or get in touch on 01492 702600."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9023 on: October 31, 2023, 07:53:11 pm »
Hi Hugo,
John

As Hugo said, I used to live in Bodlondeb Castle, there is no flood risk at all there.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9024 on: October 31, 2023, 10:47:16 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that Dave, it certainly looks a very attractive place to live

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?............Anwyl and Penmorfa
« Reply #9025 on: November 01, 2023, 10:14:57 am »
Sewer drain holds key to whether multi-million pound Llandudno beach development still has planning
Anwyl secured planning permission to build flats 15 years ago but the site remains empty

A developer wants to establish it still has planning in place to build a multi-million pound apartment block on a North Wales seafront - with a sewer drain at the heart of the matter. The land at West Shore beach used to house a property called Penmorfa that was built in the 1860s for the family of Alice Liddell, said to be the inspiration for Lewis Carroll?s Alice?s Adventures in Wonderland.

It later became Gogarth Abbey Hotel before being demolished by Anwyl Construction in 2008 to make way for apartments. Planning permission was secured for a 29 apartment development but nothing has ever been built on the site.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sewer-drain-holds-key-whether-28019457?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9026 on: November 01, 2023, 01:10:06 pm »
That's a complete joke and if the planning application is still valid then CCBC's stupidity has exceeded anything they have done before, except perhaps the West Shore sea defence of 1993
Sometime shortly after 2013 I sent a FOI request to CCBC asking that same question was the planning application still valid.    I had heard about the pipe that had been laid but was informed in writing that the pipe that was laid did not reach the construction site so it was deemed that no work had been commenced on the site so consequently the time limit for the planning application had run out.
Sadly I did not keep that letter but CCBC should have that on file
I also phoned up and asked CCBC what type of pipe was laid and had they got a photo of the pipe, the person on the phone replied that they didn't know but the trench had been filled in anyway but that they would have taken a photo of the pipe before the trench was filled in
I believe that Anwyl acknowledged this fact but came back saying that the building had been commenced because Anwyl had demolished the main house as they had left it to deteriorate so that the original house could be demolished.
Why does the developer want to bring this up now as the original outline planning was for the construction of only 28 apartments.   If they don't want to build to those plans then they could always put in a new planning application.
It's no wonder that I don't trust developers but my faith in the CCBC Planning Office and Planning Committee has hit an all time low and to see the Planning Committee in action is unbelievable, nodding Donkeys come to mind

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9027 on: November 01, 2023, 02:27:30 pm »
The Penmorfa site has been controversial from the time Anwyl got outline planning permission granted in 2006.     The application was for the side extensions to be removed, leaving the original house intact and it was for about 25 apartments
In 2008 Anwyl applied to demolish the original house and build 28 apartments and that was granted.   See artists impression. and the time limit for starting the building was within 5 years which was 2013.
Sometime after 2013 Anwyl was toying with the idea of building about 54 apartments that resembled something from Lego Land but never got to the stage of submitting plans for that monstrosity
In the meantime Beech Homes built apartments next door  which were in keeping with the surrounding area

One thing for certain the developer will be wanting to build a lot of apartments on the site as it wouldn't be viable otherwise

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?..........First ever whisky festival
« Reply #9028 on: November 04, 2023, 10:07:44 am »
Llandudno to host Wales' first ever whisky festival
Enthusiasts will gather in the seaside resort as the 'dragon?s dram' goes from strength to strength

Wales is to get its first whisky festival as the ?dragon?s dram? continues its renaissance. Some 25 whisky producers from around the world will be gathering in Conwy next year to offer tastings, limited editions and distillery tours.

The first Wales Whisky Fest 2024 will take place on November 1-3, 2024, at the St George?s Hotel in Llandudno, Conwy. The event has partnered with Penderyn Distillery and is sponsored by Aber Falls Distillery, Larkfire Wild Water, Whisgi Wales Podcast, and Daffodil Tours.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-host-wales-first-ever-28033331?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?............Christmas Extravaganza
« Reply #9029 on: November 05, 2023, 10:09:57 am »
Llandudno Christmas Extravaganza returns to town this month...link https://victorian-extravaganza.com/christmas-extravaganza

The popular festive event will fill the streets once again as thousands flock to Llandudno

t's beginning to look a lot like Christmas - or at least it will soon - with the return of Llandudno's Victorian Christmas Extravaganza. Organisers have again gone all out to bring plenty of festive cheer to the town as details were confirmed.

This year, the Christmas Extravaganza will take place between Thursday, November 16, through to Sunday, November 19. The event runs daily from 10am through to 9pm each night along Mostyn Street.

The extravaganza is billed a free-to-attend Christmas family event with entertainment, gift stalls, food and drink vendors, and fairground rides for the kids.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-christmas-extravaganza-returns-town-28044442