Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254557 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #510 on: March 15, 2015, 09:02:40 am »
Are you doing the parks?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #511 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33:31 am »
Funny, a post of mine seems to have disappeared overnight!

Anyway enjoy your holiday.  Never been to Orlando myself, never had time, too busy going to Portugal and travelling on business before retirement.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #512 on: March 15, 2015, 09:50:23 am »
Ian, defiantly doing the parks and Epcot, may pop over to Tampa to visit Busch Gardens as it is only a couple of hours drive across.
The amount of good hotels over that way are plentiful and many family orientated, we also fancied the Forte Village in Sardinia, maybe go there next time.

Thank you Yorkie.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: March 15, 2015, 10:24:45 am »
Ian, defiantly doing the parks and Epcot, may pop over to Tampa to visit Busch Gardens as it is only a couple of hours drive across.

Have fun.  I assume you've done them all before?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
Epcot is rubbish, (in my humble opinion)
Although all the other Disney and Universal theme parks are great, (especially the water parks)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »
Epcot is rubbish, (in my humble opinion)
Although all the other Disney and Universal theme parks are great, (especially the water parks)

I must strongly disagree with my honourable friend.
Epcot is an excellent and varied theme park with many attractions catering for all ages. As much as I love roller coasters, the slow educational rides in Epcot are a credit to Disney even though some may be a bit dated. The World Showcase is also excellent with a number of attractions within the featured countries. A great day out (in my humble opinion)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: March 15, 2015, 09:09:39 pm »
Well, all the parks have something to offer. My favourite is probably Epcot, especially with the newer rides they now have. Second is possibly Animal Kingdom, which tends to act as a relaxant after the other two parks.  Universal and Islands are both good, although Universal has become slightly dated and to really enjoy Islands you need to have read a lot of Dr Seuss...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »
Well, I still think Epcot is rubbish.
The rides, (such as there were) were dated or tame in the extreme.
I found that more than a third of the available space was given over to gift shops, and a similar amount given over to food/drink outlets.  Not much left of interest.
The British themed area was hilarious.  No wonder the Americans think we all live in Postman Pat style villages with Eastenders type pubs in them.   Cor Blimey Guvnor! 
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:52 am »
Epcot's an acronym for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow and was originally intended not to have any rides at all, but instead to be an actual community, housing the WDW employees and their families. The design mandated that net traffic flow would be underground - in tunnels with access garages - and commuting would be done in one of two ways: the first was a multi-loop mass-transit system which would run continuously between the suburbs and the centre.  You can still ride the original idea in Tomorrowland (Magic Kingdom) where it's called the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover. The second was the monorail, and that still offers a direct route into the park.

However, finance wouldn't permit the original aspiration of Walt's to be realised, and after Walt died Roy Disney steered through a revised Epcot plan, which was designed to be 'educational', and that's why the rides are slower - since they're all supposed to be classrooms of a kind.

To balance the books Epcot also became more of a Tourist destination for older people, with the second best fireworks, music and laser display in the World (the best is Fantasmic in MGM {now Walt Disney} Studios) and the dated rides are in a very slow process of being replaced and upgraded. The North loop of the figure 8 plan on which Epcot is based was always intended to be a reflection of the 1964 New York World's Fair's UNICEF pavilion where WED enterprises operated the first-ever Walt Disney ride.  That was called "It's a Small World". The pavilions vary in what they offer; Norway is rather good, with a fair ride, Germany is very stereotyped and the American pavilion takes the Oscar for mind-numbingly tedious. However, they do have an outstanding close-harmony group who perform while you're waiting for the previous show to empty out. Go and listen to then, pretending to queue up, and then leave.

The UK pavilion does suggest some very out-of-date ideas about the UK and is based around a mythical London pub. It does offer an outstanding cafe, with seats perfectly positioned to watch the fireworks, but the fish and chips they purport to serve are outstandingly bad and nothing like British fish 'n chips at all.

For a good day there, arrive at opening time at the main gate and do the lower half then leave.  Return at 1900 by the East Gate, which takes you directly to the upper loop and the fireworks.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #519 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:15 am »
Which water park would be best?
I really like the idea of us visiting one of those.
I'm having second thoughts about Epcot, so much to do, also fancy going to Daytona beach to see some IndyCar action if possible, not a girl thing I know!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #520 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »
Blizzard Beach is the newest and possibly the better of the two.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #521 on: March 16, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »
Thank you Ian.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #522 on: March 16, 2015, 04:59:32 pm »
Ian, your EPCOT post merely re-enforces my view of how rubbish it is.

But.... I agree about Blizzard Beach, it was excellent.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: March 16, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »
Ian, your EPCOT post merely re-enforces my view of how rubbish it is.

It's not ideal for kids, that's for sure.  But pleasant enough for adults.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2015, 07:18:30 am »
You do need a lot of time to see everything, even if it's only the parks in Orlando. If you're planning on going farther afield then you'll need to be fairly ruthless in choosing what to see.

One thing is worth bearing in mind, however: tourists in Florida don't like getting out of bed early, so if you want to avoid queuing you should aim to get to the Park gates (for any park) around 30 minutes prior to the official opening time. In high season that's around 0630 for Magic Kingdom and about 0700 for the Studios and Epcot. Water parks never open before 0900.