Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254547 times)

Offline Ludo

Re: Room with a view
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:07 pm »
Ludo, may I be the first to welcome you back?

We have missed you.

Thanks Bri!   I look forward to contributing more to this great forum!
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »
Yes, welcome back!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:03 pm »
Ludo!   

Yes, its been too quiet around here without you.  D)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ludo

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:02 am »
Ludo!   

Yes, its been too quiet around here without you.  D)

Thanks Fester!  I hope all is going well in the Kiosk - 'see' you soon! - L.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:26 am »
I'd echo the welcomes to Ludo and say the place has been poorer without you, old chum :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:54 am »
Hope to see some more of your inspiring contributions soon Ludo.

Fester, no room with a view for us?
Where have you been or aren't you telling?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »
Hope to see some more of your inspiring contributions soon Ludo.

Fester, no room with a view for us?
Where have you been or aren't you telling?

We had three nights at The Marriott hotel in Leeds, using it as a base for shopping, dining and visiting family.
It was excellent, but not really any views worth mentioning.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2013, 02:20:04 pm »
I've just returned from a weekend away in Beaumaris, at the Bulkeley Hotel http://www.bulkeleyhotel.co.uk/.

It's a grand old Victorian Hotel, built in 1832 in a superb position on the Promenade with panoramic views along the Menai Straits - makes a great base for walking etc on that part of Anglesey. Although officially rated 3 Star, I actually found that standards were far higher than expected, making it well worthy of 4 star status. We had a seafront room with great views, the room was spotless and looked if it had only recently been refurbished. The toiletries (always a good way to assess a hotel's attention to detail) were good quality Gilchrist & Soames and, yes, the complimentary coffee provided in the rooms was not cheap Nescafe but from Brodies http://www.brodies1867.co.uk/, putting the Bulkeley ahead of two 4 Star hotels in the local area I've stayed in recently.  :laugh:

The morning saw a truly wonderful cooked Welsh breakfast both days (Sauages/bacon etc all sourced from Anglesey), with a full selection of cereals/juices/yoghurts as well - not to mention great coffee. The staff were polite, friendly & attentive, a credit to the hotel. A very pleasant stay indeed.

Offline hollins

« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:38 pm »
Ooooo DaveR, that looks gorgeous. I always thought what a lovely building it was but I have never been inside.
Your photos are so good.
I am going to smuggle you into my suitcase next time I need a "room with a view" photo taking (only joking!). I bet the hotel would be delighted with your photos.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »
Thank you, H! I wouldn't mind being smuggled in your suitcase the next time you go to Switzerland.  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2013, 06:08:33 pm »
Adam Raphael the editor of the Good Hotel Guide always has an axe to grind about Tripadvisor. Here is his latest comment which I have received in a news letter which points out some of the anomalies in the Tripadvisor rating system.
I actually find it quite useful but you have to read between the lines. What it is good for is up to the minute information that a guide book can never give.

"It is perhaps in that blithe spirit that one should regard the latest TripAdvisor awards announced under a Daily Mail banner headline: 'World’s best hotel? A £35 B&B in Llandudno.' The winner, 11-bedroom Lauriston Court, according to the Mail’s report, ‘beat 650,000 others world wide’. So far, so dandy, but how did Lauriston Court win its award? Apparently more than 400 people rated it as ‘excellent’. How many of these people actually stayed there? Your guess is as good as mine. TripAdvisor doesn’t even pretend to know.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that TA’s prize-winners do not deserve their gongs. Some are undoubtedly good places. About half of TA’s 25 top British hotels have an entry in the Good Hotel Guide. But the basis on which these awards are handed out is distinctly odd. For instance, Rudding Park Hotel, which has a Shortlist entry in the Guide, was fourth in TA’s list of top world hotels after 1,397 people rated it as 'excellent'. Yet the Four Seasons at Hualalai in Hawaii, reckoned by TA to be the best hotel in the world, was rated as 'excellent' by just over half as many as endorsed Rudding Park. So if it is not quantity, how are these awards decided? As TA doesn’t know, and doesn’t care to check whether its correspondents are genuine, let alone reliable, it is clearly not quality."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2013, 06:18:31 pm »
According to a Trip Advisor Forum I read, the Hotel actively encourages people to post a review on TA and rate it. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it may explain why they have so many 'excellent' reviews.

I always read a good mix of reviews on TA before booking a hotel, and tend to disregard those people without a profile and only 1 review.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »
Hmmm,  Trip Advisor sent me an email tonight, advertising the best hotels top 25 in the world, and in the UK.

Being aware of the Lauriston Court's success, I clicked through all the categories to take a look.
It was broken down across different types, Top Hotels, Small Hotels, B&B'sand Inns.

Strangely, The Lauriston Court didn't pop up anywhere in the 'winners lists'

However, 2 other Llandudno Hotels were featured in the top 25 of small hotels.
Congratulations to The Can Y Bae,  and the Clontarf.
But what has happened to the No1 Hotel in the world?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »
Perhaps you didn't look hard enough?