Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395525 times)

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Pier section closed as firefighters deal with incident
« Reply #1095 on: August 12, 2022, 12:47:09 pm »
Firefighters have been called to an incident at an ice cream parlour on Llandudno Pier. Part of the pier has been taped off while the incident is dealt with.

Pictures from the scene showed people being kept away from the scene and a fire engine parked at the entrance to the pier. This is a breaking news story.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-firefighters-llandudno-pier-ice-24739183

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #1096 on: August 12, 2022, 02:16:55 pm »
It was a good job the fire did not happen further up the pier as there no longer appears to be an emergency exit for pedestrians to escape.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1097 on: August 12, 2022, 04:51:48 pm »
It's such a shame that whilst so much effort has gone in to maximising revenue from then pier that the structure has been badly neglected. The original entrance/exit has been blocked off for some considerable time and now ships can no longer dock at the end of the pier either. The current owner 'boasts' about how much is being spent on the pier but yet its condition continues to visibly deteriorate. Something doesn't add up.

Offline pebbles

« Reply #1098 on: August 13, 2022, 12:54:09 am »
What bothers me is there is no emergency exit between the end of the pier and the pier entrance/exit.

As for no repairs being done to the pier well that must be untrue according to this statement published on the pier more than once.

I think the owner hopes no one studies the photo of them redoing the decking that is with the writing you posted below - as it shows workmen in 1980s fashions!!

I used to often see parts of the pier having new wood put down - especially off season, but nothing has been done for years now. The state when you walk is a worry, not just a trip hazard. And the last time the half way gates were open was 2015 i think - as i was heavily pregnant in summer 2016 and very annoyed i couldn't "nip down the pier" from happy valley to use the loo! (Which i needed often!) (The HV loos were always shut that summer!). My son is 5 now, and he's still never managed the quick way onto the pier from Happy Valley.
The owner can claim all he likes it's about not having money - when it's not it's clearly about making people go past all his rides. Why own a business and let people bypass the busy money making first half... But it very much annoys me, for safety as you say, but also it's just nice to come and go that way.

But yes, i don't log in here often - but i do read quite a bit, and meant to log in to make my comment about his pier poster claiming how much work they do on it, using a very old photo!

Separate issue but i was very upset to see a dead badger on North Shore pebbles on Tuesday, half way down below the paddling pool. Soaking wet, but the tide was coming in, so it upset me it must've been there since being washed up on the tide 6 hours earlier and not one person had tried to get it moved/reported (unless they did and no one came). I couldn't do it as my 5 year old was with me and i was desperate for him to not notice so we had to go. The sea was about 8 foot from reaching the poor thing again and taking it back to the water :(

Also on a rant (!) what is it about "chav" families in hot weather, on thursday we had a nice few hours on north shore in the morning, but by lunchtime a huge family of 10 showed up, set up close by, threw stones at stones letting them bounce at us, and then put music on at full volume - and not just music but rap with all sorts of language (and they had young kids!). It bugs me.. luckily we were about to go anyway. My son pleaded with me not to say anything, so i managed to keep my mouth shut.

Back to the pier - sorry for the thread hijack!

Offline Helig

« Reply #1099 on: August 13, 2022, 10:07:56 am »
Llandudno Pier is Grade 2* listed so shouldn't there be some sort of enforcement powers to make improvements to it? I presume the council would be responsible for these. The issues also seem to involve health and safety matters. It sounds as though it isn't safe to walk on so how can this continue? Again, the council would be the one to take action, Environmental Health possibly?

Like Pebbles, I remember the days when out of season they would do repairs to it. The wood on the floor would be replaced and everything was kept in a pretty good state of repair. I haven't been on the pier for some time but it sounds as though it is being left to rot.

Online SteveH

« Reply #1100 on: August 13, 2022, 10:16:16 am »
Pebbles, a great post, rants and all, we need to hear from you more often, don't be a stranger........... $good$

Offline Helig

« Reply #1101 on: August 22, 2022, 11:19:56 am »
In view of the fact the pier is the longest in Wales and the fifth longest in England and Wales, I should have thought that it would be possible to apply for funding from the Lottery. I know that they have given grants to much less worthy projects and think an application for money to undertake repairs etc would succeed.

I note that Hastings Pier received funding from the Lottery.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/nov/19/hastings-pier-lottery-grant

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/pier-restored-with-14m-of-charity-money-sold-to-businessman-for-50-000.html

Why not Llandudno? Does anyone know if an application has been made, or considered?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1102 on: August 23, 2022, 04:12:54 pm »
Why would the Lottery give money to a privately owned business that makes large profits?! If maintenance isn?t being carried out on the pier, it?s simply because the owner doesn?t wish to spend his money on doing it.

Offline Helig

« Reply #1103 on: August 24, 2022, 11:47:09 am »
How do you know this makes large profits? The accounts submitted are in an abbreviated form for a small company. The last accounts were to 28 February 2021. They do show it had significant liabilities such as a bank loan of ?2,540,551. Secured bank loan of ?2,900,000. The director's salary etc is not disclosed. There are other creditors too. Given the details in the accounts I would be surprised if it is extremely profitable. Then much of it would be a cash trade, so ???

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1104 on: August 24, 2022, 03:53:16 pm »
Eastbourne pier has had lottery funds so why not Llandudno pier.

Offline Helig

« Reply #1105 on: August 25, 2022, 11:04:14 am »
Both Eastbourne and Hastings piers are privately owned. I think the public interest would prevail in preserving these in a good state of repair. They are historical buildings which should be maintained for future generations to enjoy.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1106 on: August 25, 2022, 12:00:02 pm »
How do you know this makes large profits? The accounts submitted are in an abbreviated form for a small company. The last accounts were to 28 February 2021. They do show it had significant liabilities such as a bank loan of ?2,540,551. Secured bank loan of ?2,900,000. The director's salary etc is not disclosed. There are other creditors too. Given the details in the accounts I would be surprised if it is extremely profitable. Then much of it would be a cash trade, so ???
I suspect you?re just looking at the accounts for Llandudno Pier Limited, which is the holding company for the physical asset. There is also Llandudno Pier Trading Limited to consider.

I have the detailed accounts from when Six Piers Ltd put it up for sale. Back then, it was averaging EBITDA of ?600-700k per year.

Online SteveH

« Reply #1107 on: August 25, 2022, 03:51:15 pm »
A slight deviation from the present subject.........Maybe not ?

Llandudno Pier owner awarded for efforts to safeguard landmark and 'enhance town's public profile'
Adam Williams received the mayoral certificate 'one of a kind' award which is only granted on special occasions

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-pier-owner-awarded-efforts-24846901

Offline Helig

« Reply #1108 on: August 26, 2022, 12:21:12 pm »
Thank you for clarifying that DaveR. I didn't realise that they had more than one company. I still think that a Lottery grant would be appropriate to bring the pier into good repair and to preserve it. From what you have shown, the owner doesn't have an excuse for not doing work that is necessary for health and safety reasons.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1109 on: August 27, 2022, 07:39:40 pm »
I wonder how many people bother to time those small kiddies rides on the pier.

This afternoon, I did for one of the four pound rides and it lasted 95 seconds  :(