The Local > Times Past

Red Garages

(1/8) > >>

DaveR:
I had an email from Jackie asking where the Red Garages thread had gone, so I've tried to reassemble it here.

An old photo of staff at Red Garages c1950. Recognise anyone?

[smg id=313]

--- Quote ---Left to right, I think its Jock then ken, I think, as I remember the two guys who also worked the pumps. Ken I think his name is, lives at the back of Asda I think, and Jock definitely passed away if it is him. I was only little when they were about, but I remember Jock would always wave, wink, and put a thumbs up, cheerful couple of chaps.

I used to love seeing what was in the red garages showroom, I have seen Formula One cars, championship rally cars, film cars, and even a Red Arrow plane at one time.
--- End quote ---
Gerald

DaveR:

--- Quote ---Whereabouts was Red Garages? I remember the name but not where they were. My dad always used Jubilee Garage.
--- End quote ---
Chris

--- Quote ---Where Kwik-Fit is now, the showroom for the cars was on the main corner of the street where finneys is now.
--- End quote ---
Gerald

--- Quote ---Oh yes! Of course! I do remember now. Thanks.
--- End quote ---
Chris

--- Quote ---Anyone remember the kiosk next to red garages cant recall the name but it seemed to sell everything the shop was so small you could just about turn around.
--- End quote ---
Pobo

--- Quote ---I thought Red Garages was across from the BT Exchange/old Social Security Place and next to the Army Training Headquarters?
--- End quote ---
Craig

--- Quote ---Red garage was on the the front were finneys and the garages down to the drill hall was used by royal red and creams coaches i think
--- End quote ---
. Pobo

--- Quote ---Red Garages was where Kwik-Fit is and carried on around the corner to where the drill hall was for the T.A s.
They also kept some cars on the land where Finneys is now,but set back a bit off the road.One entrance into the where the cars where parked ,was next to the little kiosk, already mentioned
--- End quote ---
. Dave Hinton

--- Quote ---What was it called, Dave, so you can put one or two of us out of our misery?
--- End quote ---
Bri Roberts

--- Quote ---Wasnt it just called the kiosk.
--- End quote ---
Pobo

--- Quote ---It was just called 'The Kiosk' but my dad always referred to it as "Emrys`s" not sure if it was owned by someone of that name or maybe he worked there
--- End quote ---
. Gerald

--- Quote ---The name Emrys Owen spings to mind at the Kiosk.
--- End quote ---
Waffagolf

--- Quote ---the little kiosk next to the post office was emrys jones' kiosk (he was an uncle of mine ) ithink it was always referred to by that name long after it changed hands
--- End quote ---
Raj

DaveR:

--- Quote ---Alongside the Kiosk was the Royal Red booking booth. When the booth was open there were always hand-painted boards standing on the pavement outside, advertising various coach excursions to destinations around North Wales.

Royal red coaches were taken over by creams tours who in turn were taken over by Alpine coaches who were still running some of the old creams coaches for several years after. Alpine also have one of the original guy chieftan buses used by llandudno district council on the great orme scenic tours.

The vintage bus that Alpine operates is a Leyland Tiger Cub. The only Guy's that the UDC ran were Wolf's and Otter's.

Sorry i stand corrected the tiger cub is the one they still use on the tours the guy they keep for special hire and for shows and it may well be a wolf but im sure it has the chieftan head radiator mount on it.

The Red Indian Chieftain's head was the logo of Guy Motors and had their motto 'Feathers in our cap' inscribed across the headband. It was fitted above the grille on their lorries and buses.
Do you remember when 'Creams' used to be parked alongside the Odeon/Astra on the Deganwy Ave side? The booking office was around the corner on the Gloddaeth St side. The Brierley family started the business.

I remember doing a get in for wno at the astra on a very windy day and having to struggle around coaches with huge scenery flats it was the one venue i hated.
--- End quote ---
?

--- Quote ---Did you have to take the scenery up that huge concrete ramp on the side of the building?
--- End quote ---
Trojan

--- Quote ---They used to try to get the trucks to the bottom of the ramp and drop the tailgate onto the ramp.
--- End quote ---
Pobo

DaveR:

--- Quote ---HI...YES THE GUY WITH THE GLASSES ON THE FAR LEFT AS YOU LOOK AT THE PICTURE IS MY UNCLE( now passed way)....HARRY WILLIAMS..HE LIVED IN DINNAS ROAD.HE WAS THE MECHANIC INCHARGE IF I REMEMBER AND WAS AT THE RED GARAGE IN WEST SHORE. HIS SISTER WAS CALLED BEAUTY..WHO WAS MARRIED TO JIM GAWLEY...WHO OWNED THE OLD LLANDUDNO GLASS COMPANY.. THAT WAS OVER IN DUFFRYN ROAD. HIS BROTHER WAS EMRYS WILLIAMS..WHO WAS A POSTMAN IN THE TOWN..AND WHEN RETIRED WENT AND DID THE BOOK KEEPING FOR OLD MR WAGSTAFF..IN THE SHOP OF THE SAME NAME.
--- End quote ---
Mike Thomas

[smg id=313]

DaveR:

--- Quote ---The Red Garages opened in 1907 and was originally called the Llandudno Motor and Garage Company Limited. They started with five charabancs which made up their 'luxury' fleet of tour vehicles. In 1911 Mr Frank Wilkes was hired to manage the business, and he was there until his death in 1958.
--- End quote ---
Trojan

[smg id=314]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version