Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372349 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #1125 on: April 14, 2016, 08:49:18 pm »
the alternative of having one person virtually taking over the forum is in my opinion unwelcome.

Well, apart from the fact that no one is 'taking over' the forum and can't be, when anyone is free to post, I have to say that any member who posts frequently and stimulates debate is more than welcome.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1126 on: April 14, 2016, 10:09:21 pm »
Can't see any problem? anyone else is free to post anything, up to them really.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1127 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:21 pm »
The postings often bring things to my attention that I'm completely unaware of, so I do enjoy reading them.     At the same time it's always nice to here postings from others, the more the better really     

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1128 on: April 15, 2016, 12:08:43 am »
the alternative of having one person virtually taking over the forum is in my opinion unwelcome.

Well, apart from the fact that no one is 'taking over' the forum and can't be, when anyone is free to post, I have to say that any member who posts frequently and stimulates debate is more than welcome.
I've been out boozing tonight, and I have decided that I will take over the Forum, by means of a coup d' etat.   
But now, as the new Dictator of this Forum, I have decided to relinquish control back to Ian and Dave and I shall retire to my bed.   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1129 on: April 15, 2016, 11:01:06 pm »
Thought you did a great job while it lasted fester, but glad to see it is back in safe hands

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1130 on: April 22, 2016, 08:27:43 am »
I use Windows 7 and have had a problem with the Windows freezing. The screen I was on at the time would disappear and about 30 seconds later would pop up again.  Also I've had requests to upgrade to Windows 10 and I've always declined them.
I was going to call the engineer in anyway but last night when I was in the process of sending an e-mail I just touched the cap lock and the system shut down on me.
It then of it's own accord upgraded me to Windows 10, a system I didn't want and didn't request and I'm now unable to  do anything on it apart from Google.
I'll now have to get the engineer in anyway.    :rage:

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1131 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:12 pm »
I use Windows 7 and have had a problem with the Windows freezing. The screen I was on at the time would disappear and about 30 seconds later would pop up again.  Also I've had requests to upgrade to Windows 10 and I've always declined them.
I was going to call the engineer in anyway but last night when I was in the process of sending an e-mail I just touched the cap lock and the system shut down on me.
It then of it's own accord upgraded me to Windows 10, a system I didn't want and didn't request and I'm now unable to  do anything on it apart from Google.
               I also have been getting frequent offers to "upgrade" to Windows 10 for some time and I've always declined them because  like you I'm used to Windows 7 and I've had conflicting reports of Windows 10 from friends. Can you let us know how you get on with it now it has been "imposed" on you and I'll steer clear of the "Cap Locks " key in the meantime!   $thanx$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1132 on: April 22, 2016, 04:03:13 pm »
               I also have been getting frequent offers to "upgrade" to Windows 10 for some time and I've always declined them because  like you I'm used to Windows 7 and I've had conflicting reports of Windows 10 from friends. Can you let us know how you get on with it now it has been "imposed" on you and I'll steer clear of the "Cap Locks " key in the meantime!   $thanx$

So have we and like you Gwynant, we are used to windows 7, so don't want to change. Must keep my fingers away from the Caps Lock key. eeeeeeek !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1133 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:33 pm »
It might be just a coincidence with the cap lock because I use them quite often.  Last night I was sending an e-mail to a friend and had written most of it but when I pressed the cap lock the system just crashed. Then almost straight away it started downloading Windows 10 and I couldn't stop it doing so.
I used to get frequent offers a few times a day to upgrade to Windows 10 but always decline them but this week I had a strange one saying I was scheduled for an upgrade on Thursday but I declined that one too.
Anyway yesterday (Thurs)  at about 11.00pm I opened up the computer and that's when it started.

Today on Windows 10 I had a survey asking what I thought of the upgrade so I told them exactly what I thought        :rage:

I hope that you have better luck than me Gwynant

Reading through some of the stuff today and there is lots of it, it mentioned Windows 11       :o     so I closed the computer just in case.
The screen on my computer had previously downloaded itself for the last two weeks or so and after about 30 seconds later reappeared and I started to wonder then if Microsoft were saying YOU WILL download to Windows 10

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1134 on: April 22, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
Gwynant and Nemesis,  hang on to your Windows 7 as long as you can.      I've now had 214 unread feeds in my e-mail account and I treated them all as read but now they have disappeared somewhere in the system and I can't trace them.        :rage:         :rage:

It's less than 24 hours already since my computer upgraded itself and it's driving me nuts

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1135 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:30 pm »
When Windows 10 first installs on your computer there is a very short window of opportunity to revert back to your original windows operating system, I think it's 28 days but am not certain after that its to late to change. Worth checking it out I think.  ££$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1136 on: April 25, 2016, 03:08:11 pm »
After having had my rant and parting with quite a few Quid after the IT engineer called today, I'm hoping that Windows 10 will have settled down and that I have no more problems with it.
The system is very similar to Windows 7 but has a lot of extras,  even if some are not welcome.
The engineer has come across other people who have had Windows 10 imposed on them for no apparent reason but he did add that if anyone wants to upgrade to Windows 10 then they should do it before a date in July 2016 because after that it will cost about £140.00 if anyone wants to upgrade their computer.
He also said that at some time in the future Microsoft may not support Windows 7 just like they did with XP

Offline mull

« Reply #1137 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:37 am »
Hi Hugo like you I have had Windows 10 imposed on my computer.
In April i installed a Dash cam in my car in preperation for the summer invasion of visitors most of whom have not got a clue how to drive on our single track roads. In April I was on Windows 7 and had no problem viewing what had been recorded.
Yesterday after a hair raising experience with an approaching motorist, probably foreign in a hire car, after returning home I could not not retrieve the recording on my computer.
My question, have you had the same problem and is it something to do with me being on Windows 7 when the dash cam was first used.

Help.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1138 on: June 03, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »
Hi Mull,    I've only downloaded the images from my dash camera once and that was when an idiot undertook me and another car on the A55.   He wasn't taxed and didn't have a MOT but the camera did download it on to the computer but the only trouble is that I can't find where it is!          ???     
When it comes to computers or anything IT then I'm afraid that I can't help you.  I have to get someone in when I have a problem with anything IT.

Offline mull

« Reply #1139 on: June 03, 2016, 04:53:36 pm »
Thanks Hugo. Same here have not got a clue with IT.
I will have to contact Matrix Computers in Oban to see if they can help . Why when things are working fine does someone have to interfere.
 :rage: