Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372141 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #555 on: July 04, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »
One thing I would personally find useful is if it were possible to show a few more posts in the recent posts list.
I check this list regularly having become a 3 towns forum addict and most times it is long enough but it would be great if there were a slightly longer list to catch up with if there are a lot of posts within a few hours.
 $thanx$
That one is simple enough to do - I have increased the number of recent posts displayed from 15 to 25.  :)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #556 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:58 pm »
Brilliant, thank you!
Couldn't believe my eyes when the extra posts popped up about a minute after my request.......amazing!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: July 04, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »
We aim to please.  ;D

Offline hollins

« Reply #558 on: July 16, 2011, 02:44:36 pm »
Would it be possible to have a live webcam on the forum?
I am always wondering what the weather is like by the sea.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #559 on: July 16, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #560 on: July 16, 2011, 04:14:10 pm »
 $thanx$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2011, 01:08:23 am »
Excuse me... why won't this forum allow the word that rhymes with VEST, but means to relax... to appear?

I noticed that the word R-E-S-T  keeps showing as an '0'.. when being mentioned in contexts such as the 'Cafe' that is halfway round the Great Orme,
... or indeed in general conversation?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:47:15 am by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2011, 08:46:50 am »
It's a condition of using this place that no details about where people work or where they live or anything else that might be considered private is revealed.,  Unfortunately,  some folk find it difficult to understand that the internet is an incredibly public arena, so we have to limit some words to prevent them being used.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
What??  :o :o

In that case should you not censor the words Pier, Golfcourse, Taxi, Hotel, retirement, newsagent, councillor, ....and hundreds more innocuous words?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #564 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
can we have a list of the words that will not appear?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2011, 11:13:33 am »
In that case should you not censor the words Pier, Golfcourse, Taxi, Hotel, retirement, newsagent, councillor, ....and hundreds more innocuous words?

If any were to be used to specifically identify a member's place of work or home against their wishes, then yes;  I would.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2011, 11:35:24 am »
I've removed several posts, where the contributors doubtless feel they're being incredibly amusing by pushing the banned words paradigm.  But there is a serious side to this:  some of you might not object to everyone in the world with an internet connection knowing where you live, where you work, how much is in your bank accounts and so on.  But those jolly asides and knowing cyber-winks between those who know some things mask the fact that this information is not generally known, nor should it be.  Already this week, a member's full address was published, and that sort of thing has to stop.

If you wish to publish your own details, so be it, but it must be understood that to publish, or even hint at, private information on the forum won't be allowed.  It's also worth remembering that the only reason we use the banned word system is because some people seem incapable of respecting the privacy of others.  The only other alternative is to ban the member, which I'm personally very loathe to do, but which we will if members refuse to respect the privacy of other members.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:43 pm »
Does anyone else have problems when typing a longish post or when typing after a longish quotation?  I find that if I do this the line I'm typing eventually disappears from the box and jiggles along out of sight, so that I can't see what I'm doing.  I can see the line if I scroll down but as soon as I start typing again it disappears again.  I can see that there are two answers to this: 1) be less verbose; 2) type elsewhere and cut and paste.  I just wondered whether anyone else has this difficulty or if it's my personal problem? 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2011, 12:30:48 pm »
I've removed several posts, where the contributors doubtless feel they're being incredibly amusing by pushing the banned words paradigm.  But there is a serious side to this:  some of you might not object to everyone in the world with an internet connection knowing where you live, where you work, how much is in your bank accounts and so on.  But those jolly asides and knowing cyber-winks between those who know some things mask the fact that this information is not generally known, nor should it be.  Already this week, a member's full address was published, and that sort of thing has to stop.

I never referered to any place of work I just thought that to censor the word beginning with r , which is not exactly uncommon in everyday use seems crazy, so if thats how you want it I'm off now!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
M.E. don't go - we'd miss you!  :(