Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372146 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #615 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:37 am »
I just mark the whole thread as "read" and don't even look at them.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #616 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
I often have a problem if I want to use part of a quote rather repeat the whole thing. My reply always comes within the quote.
I have seen other people do it correctly so I know it is pilot error on my behalf. Could someone explain what I am dong wrong please?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #617 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:09 am »
I often have a problem if I want to use part of a quote rather repeat the whole thing. My reply always comes within the quote.
I have seen other people do it correctly so I know it is pilot error on my behalf. Could someone explain what I am dong wrong please?

Make sure your reply is typed-in after the..... [/quote].....at the end of the previous posters sentence. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #618 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:24 am »

I find that the easiest way to quote part of a post is to start off quoting the whole thing, delete the bits I don't want, then type my own comments as Trojan says. 

Offline Trojan

« Reply #619 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:04 am »

I find that the easiest way to quote part of a post is to start off quoting the whole thing

Ah I see what you mean. I just quoted part of your sentence by inserting my cursor before the....[/quote] then I "back spaced" until I deleted what I didn't need.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #620 on: September 07, 2011, 02:15:36 pm »
I often have a problem if I want to use part of a quote

Mouse-swipe (select) the part of the text you want to quote, copy, hit the 'quote' button (above) then paste.  The copied bit appears neatly as a quote.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #621 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »
I find that doesn't show who the quote's from. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:57 pm »
My usual way is to just press 'Quote' and then make sure you start your reply after the [ /quote ] bit. You can delete any of the bits of the quote you don't want but just make sure that it starts with [ quote ] and ends with [ /quote ] or it won't work.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: September 09, 2011, 08:45:32 am »
I find that doesn't show who the quote's from.

It doesn't, but the quote itself is usually recognisable, because it's rare that anyone quotes from more than a few posts previously.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #624 on: September 09, 2011, 09:56:30 pm »
Ian!  $good$
You have been officially removed from the Missing Persons list. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #625 on: September 10, 2011, 03:44:07 pm »
 ;D

Offline martin

Re: Re: FAQs: pop in here if you're wondering how to do anything
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »
I have an old postcard of Conwy sent from here in 1916 that I want to put on the site but I am a bit unsure of a few things.  I see the maximum file size is 1024 KB is that just over 1 MB?, also, what is the best file type to use, Jpeg?, I have Photoshop so I can mess around with the scan, but again, I am not sure what resolution to do that on, I suppose it is not worth doing it on to higher one as I will just have to reduce it to send.  I imagine there is an optimum  canvas size to enable it to display correctly on the site, so any help and advice would be appreciated.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: December 12, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »
If you resize the pic down so that its longest side is about 650 pixels, then save it as a jpeg with a file size of around 100k, that should be fine.  Not worth doing a resolution higher than about 150pixels. $good$

Offline martin

« Reply #628 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »
Thanks DaveR.     $good$   I would not have been able to do it without you that's for sure,  in the past when I have scanned photo's they have always displayed football pitch size so I knew I needed to get them cut down before I posted on the site.  Took me ages in Photoshop finding out how to alter the pixels, I tried just about every button, must have saved about 20 attempts of the card before finding how to do it, simple when you know how.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »
 $good$