Author Topic: DaveR's Interesting Properties Thread  (Read 137063 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: DaveR's Interesting Properties Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2022, 10:44:50 am »
I think it was called Tide's Reach.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #286 on: September 28, 2022, 11:36:50 am »
I haven't noticed any change in that building Helig and the Google Street map doesn't allow you to "walk" down the street.    The latest satellite image shows that the house does not appear to have been demolished or modified and I have a feeling that this place may have appeared on the forum before under Research
CCBC  seem to go against their own policy on demolition and allow structuraly sound houses to be demolished and massive houses built in their place.    Money certainly talks in this area of Wales
An example in Abersoch in recent years is when a property was bought there for 1,000,000 pounds and shortly afterwards it was demolished and a much larger house built in its place

Offline Helig

« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2022, 10:59:15 am »
Thank you, Hugo. I seem to think that when Mrs Gow died the property was left to her daughter. It could be she has decided to live in it and leave things unchanged. Mrs Gow invited me in for a cup of tea and a chat and I was surprised at how spacious the place was as it looks tiny from the road. Having looked at things on a Google search I suspect it must have been sold to people outside the Gow family.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2022, 02:05:43 pm »
My brother alleges that a number of properties by the old Gogarth Abbey Convalescent Home have  been bought by members of the Jewish community.
According to Google in 2011 an investment company was registered at Tides Reach but no company member was called Gow.
Next time I walk past it I'll take a photo and post it on here

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2022, 03:29:40 pm »
Hugo yes your brother is correct. The Jewish community have bought more properties there was talk they wanted more and to gate it to be private..

Offline Hugo

« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2022, 05:23:18 pm »
Thanks for confirming that Norman.   My brother also said that one Jewish man called on a house there and offered to buy it.     The owner of the house replied that the house was not up for sale but the Jewish man replied that " everything has got its price"
I don't know the outcome of what transpired from that conversation

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2022, 08:58:12 pm »
Hugo that?s what they are doing all over town,  they have one house up craigside I?m friends with the lad lives next door they have murder with them when their mates come down.    As we say they can sell a property in London and buy 3/4 big houses here.

Offline Helig

« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2022, 11:25:00 am »
I think you are correct as I found a company mentioned on the Companies House website, This was Crestbrook Investments Ltd. Their registered address was changed to Tides Reach, Llys Helig Drive. The former address was in Finchley, North London. Finchley is an area which is heavily populated by Jews and the names of the directors suggest they are Jewish.

I remember when the former Chief Constable of North Wales, David Owen, lived along Llys Helig Drive and the very large house along there was sold to a Jewish rabbi. This was for ?1 million and it took everyone by surprise at the time. David Owen told a close friend of mine that the Jews had gone along every house there asking if the people would sell their property to them. I know he declined and sold his house (Provencal I think) to Sir Richard Greenbury).

I know they bought The Old Abbey, the former Railway Convalescent Home.

Why is there such an interest in buying up all these properties in Llandudno? There was some interesting information on the source of the funds they used for the large property sale but I cannot post it here. It came from an impeccable source but it is best not to name them.

My mother used to say that in WW2 the Jews moved out of London and lived in Llandudno. That there were more Jews in the town than in Golder's Green. She was very friendly with a Jewish family by the name of Levy. They had 4 children and lived in St David's Road I think. I remember Maisie Levy, who was one of the 4 children. She married Sid Hardman. They lived in The Oval and had a newsagents, souvenir type store in the town. Maisie died quite young in about 1970.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2022, 10:37:06 am »
House on Llandudno's Great Orme with stunning views of the promenade goes on sale
The four bedroom property overlooks North Shore beach and the Little Orme

cont / photo gallery https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/house-llandudnos-great-orme-stunning-25139524?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2022, 02:38:09 pm »
Helig - there's an interesting leaflet on the history of Jewish families in Llandudno which is available at Llandudno Museum.

Offline Helig

« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2022, 10:20:42 am »
Thank you for that information, Cambrian. I live in Scotland unfortunately.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2022, 12:35:29 pm »
Helig, I am sure they will post one out to you if you phone them

Offline Helig

« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2022, 10:29:32 am »
Thank you, Brian. I will call them and ask if they can post one out to me. It would be interesting to know more as there were many Jewish families living in Llandudno going further back. The Gubay family being one of these. Is Oriental Stores still going? The Lazar family with the store in Madoc St etc. Talking of which:

https://www.thejc.com/news/obituaries/vicki-lazar-1.500092

I remember a cousin of mine was in school with Marcia Lazar.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2022, 12:50:53 pm »
Helig, Oriental Stores is now a Welsh Souvenir shop and the Lazars shop became a catalogue shop which subsequently closed but has since been sold.

By coincidence, I was in JBGS with Mike Lazar during the early sixties. Mike moved down to London with his Mum.

If Llandudno Museum are unable to post a leaflet to you please let me know and I will collect one and post one out to you myself.

In fact, I am due there tomorrow morning on an organised walk unless it is postponed because of the weather forecast.

Offline Helig

« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2022, 09:59:11 am »
Thank you for that kind offer, Brian. I will see if the museum will post one out to me and give them a call today. I remember Lazar's closing down and was living in the town then. My grandmother used to talk about the mother of the Gubay family who worked in Oriental Stores for years. I remember her being there vaguely too. I think she was a ripe old age.

Does anyone know how many of the houses on Llys Helig Drive have been acquired by people of Jewish origins?