Author Topic: Railways  (Read 63940 times)

Offline SAJ

• Management board member
Re: Railways
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2023, 10:41:05 am »
Llangollen to Corwen - On 1st June 2023, MOH and I attended the official opening of the newly completed Corwen station. The volunteers have done a fantastic job and I think the extension to the line will be appreciated by locals and those visiting the area. We had a great day with only a short delay on the return journey caused by a small trackside fire.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:36:25 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2023, 11:39:27 am »
Re: the pics above.  Can you try clicking once on each image, which should return it to the correct orientation.  Thanks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2023, 11:52:29 am »
Actually Ian, I took a couple of them lying down and one standing on my head!

BTW I?m posting!!!

Offline SAJ

« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2023, 07:50:04 pm »
Midland Pullman. - MOH has informed me that the Pullman is due at Llandudno Station tomorrow at 12.56. It starts its journey at Plymouth and will leave on the return journey at 16.35.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2023, 10:09:37 am »
Avanti West Coast has seen its contract to run trains between North Wales and London renewed in a decision slammed as 'extremely disappointing'. Avanti has been under fire for slashing direct services between the region and the UK capital.

Despite this the UK Government has awarded them a potential nine year deal on the West Coast Line - although it can be axed after three years. It comes after Avanti was handed two consecutive six-month contracts and ordered to develop a recovery plan aimed at addressing poor performance on vital routes, which was largely attributed to drivers refusing to work paid overtime shifts.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/extremely-disappointing-rail-franchise-decision-27744078 :565:

Offline Helig

« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2023, 11:06:19 am »
I couldn't believe that Avanti had their contract extended when I heard it on the news last night. The service they provide on the West Coast mainline is truly atrocious. Their trains are either cancelled, or delayed, and rarely run on time. When I go to Carlisle is it usual to see the arrival and departure boards showing Avanti trains are bot running. They keep a fleet of rail replacement coaches outside. I wonder quite how they obtained this long contract and won't venture to suggest what I think.

Offline SteveH

Re: Railways..........HS2: 'Crazy' not to review project due to soaring costs
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2023, 09:55:42 am »
The former transport secretary has said it would be "crazy" not to review plans for the HS2 rail link as costs have soared.

Grant Shapps told the BBC that the Ukraine war and a spike in inflation mean any government would need to make "serious decisions" on affordability.

The BBC understands a definitive decision on HS2 will be made in the coming week.

The government has so far refused to commit to the current plans.

The prime minister and the chancellor have been discussing the future of the Birmingham to Manchester leg of the project against a backdrop of spiralling costs.

Speaking on the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg programme, Mr Shapps said that no decision had been taken as of yet.

"We do have to respond to the budgets," he said.

"We've been not only hit by the coronavirus, but the war in Ukraine... any responsible government has to ask whether that sequencing still stacks up for what the country requires."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66905316

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2023, 11:23:00 am »
Let?s be honest if they wanted this to happen properly they would have started up the north and worked down, complete shambles.. 

Offline mull

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2023, 11:44:22 am »
The whole HS2 Scheme has been badly managed by the Department of Transport and lack of Government control for the past 10 years or more. The rest of the world must be laughing at us, look how even 3rd world countries manage to complete their major projects. I do not think the Tories heart has been in this from the start, all their residents in the Chilterns did not help.

People are being misled by the Media who as usual are failing to give the public the whole picture. All the emphasis is on the passenger traffic and very little is mentioned about freeing up capacity on the conventional railway to handle the growing amount of container traffic which is now being hauled by rail. This is the most important part of the HS2 Scheme.

Once you start on a major project like this it should be pushed through as quickly as possible. Stopping and starting as we do in the UK only increases the end cost. Talk about kicking the can down the road, other nations are leaving us behind.

I

Offline SteveH

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2023, 10:00:49 am »
Update .......Backlash against scrapping Manchester link grows

Criticism is growing over the possible scrapping of the HS2 high-speed rail link between Birmingham and Manchester.

Abandoning the link would be a "gross act of vandalism", former chancellor, George Osborne, has said.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said axing the extension risked creating a "north-south chasm".

Speculation about the rail leg has grown as the government has refused to guarantee that the line will continue between the Midlands and North West.

Speaking on Monday, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he would not comment on "that type of speculation".

"What I would say is we're absolutely committed to levelling up and spreading opportunity around the country," he said.   

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66909732

Offline SteveH

Re: Railways........ 65,000 railway passengers flocked to Llandudno
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2023, 09:52:17 am »
MORE than 65,000 railway passengers flocked to Llandudno over the summer.
Despite the changeable conditions, Llandudno, Barmouth, Barry Island and Tenby all saw a significant rise in customers traveling on Transport for Wales services in July and August.

Llandudno was the top single destination for the summer with 65,046 people visiting the town.

This summer, the Cambrian Coast line saw the return of four-carriage for the first time in six-years thanks to a collaboration between Transport for Wales and Network Rail.
cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23826978.60-000-took-train-llandudno-summer/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Expert rail tips that could cut hundreds off your travel costs
UK commuters fork out 10 per cent of their salaries on annual train tickets, data has found

Experts from Railestatesearch have offered their best tips to help you when you're travelling by train and to save you hundreds of pounds in ticket costs. One of the first things you should do is book in advance, as it's often cheaper to do so; also, when you book early, keep an eye out for discounts and special offers.
cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/expert-tips-to-help-you-saves-hundred/

Offline SteveH

Re: Railways......... HS2 news
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2023, 10:20:23 am »
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is set to announce the scrapping of the HS2 high-speed rail line from the West Midlands to Manchester.

In his Conservative Party conference speech later, the PM is expected to set out a range of alternative projects in the north of England and Wales.

He is likely to argue these projects will be better value for money and can be delivered more quickly.

It comes after weeks of speculation about the future of the line.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66998692

Offline Hugo

« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2023, 05:43:17 pm »
In hindsight perhaps they should have started the HS2  high speed train link from Manchester to the West Midlands.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67005544

Offline Hammy

« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2023, 06:00:53 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2023, 07:46:11 pm »
They couldn't afford it in 2014 so what has changed now, apart from the fact that the General Election should be due next year

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/carwyn-jones-uk-governments-position-6880018