Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 41042 times)

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2012, 10:44:28 pm »

One of my laptops is a Dell Latitude 620, its old and has problems.
The live version of Puppy linux is worth a try, it can breathe new life into old pcs.
It may be worth trying before you spend your money on a new pc.
The laptop which I am using to post these replies is about 10 years old, has 256mb of memory, & a 500mhz processor. (built for Windows 98) It runs Openoffice which is compatible with microsoft office.

Its a simple download & burn to cd/dvd so worth trying.

It is a lot faster than most of the current pcs that I build with Windows installed. From pressing the "on" button, to surfing the internet takes about 30-40 seconds.

Its free, & wont affect your current version of windows. so worth trying. :-))

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:34 am »
The other thing that's worth knowing is that you can run Macs as Windows machines through the use of 'boot camp', the PC emulator that comes free with Macs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:08 am »
The other thing that's worth knowing is that you can run Macs as Windows machines through the use of 'boot camp', the PC emulator that comes free with Macs.

Clever marketing that!   Lets people run Windows whilst the onlookers think they're running a Mac!!    _))*

Bit of one-upmanship!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:26 am »
Which programs would you want to run via a Windows emulator though? I've never had the need to use one.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »
A friend of mine whose job is air traffic control uses his for the progs that ATC use.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2012, 06:21:50 pm »
Hmm, interesting.

Other than internet usage, the main thing I need from my PC is to run my business, (via Microsoft Excel and Access)
So, that is the main reason that I have not moved to an Apple PC.

I wonder whether this 'emulator' or 'boot camp' will run my existing documents through an Apple PC?

*&(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2012, 07:24:12 pm »
Hmm, interesting.

Other than internet usage, the main thing I need from my PC is to run my business, (via Microsoft Excel and Access)
So, that is the main reason that I have not moved to an Apple PC.

I wonder whether this 'emulator' or 'boot camp' will run my existing documents through an Apple PC?

*&(
Most major software comes in a Mac version. I have Microsoft Office installed on my Macs.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
You run Windows on a Mac using Parallels http://www.parallels.com/uk/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:54 am »
You can, but boot camp is more precise as it works directly from the Intel processors. And unlike Parallels, it's free.

The answer is yes.  However, Apple's version of Excel is Numbers, and Numbers will read any Excel document perfectly (I've used it for that many times).

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
iTunes 11 has been released by Apple today.  Well worth downloading as it has a number of new and very useful features.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:27 am »
I see that Microsoft have finally admitted that Windows 8 is rubbish:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/07/microsoft-redesign-windows-8

craigollerton

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:52 pm »
I was just looking in at the 2009/2010 imacs with the aluminium chassis, second hand prices are right down on eBay now even i'm tempted at the £400 mark. Did the same with the mac air, retailing with the latest spec at £999.99 in the Apple shop in Manchester, the same style model albeit lesser specced inside, £400 on eBay with an external USB drive, arrived like new. One thing you can almost be sure of when buying a second hand mac, is the previous users tend to look after them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:07 am »
Just treated myself to the 27" iMac, an incredibly fast monster of a computer.  ZXZ

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2014, 08:27:18 am »
Hmph...

I'm thinking of talking the plunge and getting the new Desktop Pro.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:06 am »
Just treated myself to the 27" iMac, an incredibly fast monster of a computer.  ZXZ

I've been toying with the idea of getting one for quite a while but the hard drive is only 1TB & they've removed all the optical drives. My home broadband is s***e to say the least so streaming & cloud computing is not really an option for me so I'm not really sure whether to take the plunge.
They look a brilliant piece of kit though, especially if you wall mount the monitor.
Valar Morghulis