The Local > Local News & Discussion

Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street

(1/18) > >>

DaveR:
The decline of the High Street in recent years has caused much concern locally. In both Llandudno and Colwyn Bay, there are now large numbers of empty shop units, some of which have been vacant for several years. Undoubtedly, the high levels of both Rent and Business Rates are the most significant factor in this - opening a small shop on Mostyn Street, Llandudno, could mean a yearly outlay of nearly £70,000 in just Rent & Rates.The smaller Chains that used to inhabit these shops are slowly disappearing as more and more sales move online.  Is it simply a matter of waiting for Landlords to eventually give in and lower their rents significantly or can more be done?

Everyone agrees that there should be more independent, local businesses on the High Street but how many of them can afford to make the gamble of moving from a side street to the High Street? Should there be a form of enhanced Business Rate Relief for independent businesses taking a High Street shop? Or do we need to look at other uses for these premises, more cafes maybe?

Tell us what you think.

norman08:
 and there goes another one  j d sports moving to the park

Michael:
My contribution is only negative, I'm afraid. I would say no more cafes, there are enough but not too many already. Not much help am I

DaveR:
I think there is more bad news to come, to be honest. Next Clearance are closing in July when their lease expires. The lease on Burtons corner is available. Perhaps most worryingly of all, HMV's financial problems mean they are very likely to close over a hundred of their stores.

Ian:

--- Quote ---I think there is more bad news to come, to be honest.
--- End quote ---

Vince Cable supports that view. In effect, he's just been saying that the trouble we're all in is not simply to do with the banks' mishandling of the economy, but also the entire globally linked economy, where the two strongest emerging nations - China and India - are producing much better stuff for much less, and it may only be a matter of time before they accomplish that with the markets as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version