Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 547473 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1980 on: April 16, 2024, 10:07:44 am »
We had visitors in the garden last night.    The Badgers had got in my back garden and climbed up a tree to get at a Peanut holder I have got for the birds.  They scrunched the top so much so that I'll probably need to buy another new one.
Because they failed to get the peanuts they have taken it out on my lawn and it now looks like an area of the Klondyke!
The photos were taken a while ago when the Badgers used to come here every night and not do any damage

Hugo great photos....................

We had visitors too last, but a lot smaller, a pair of hedgehogs playing   in the garden, we suspect to see more in the future.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1981 on: April 17, 2024, 03:18:58 pm »
They are lovely little creatures Steve but sadly in decline nowadays and having Badgers in the garden means that we haven't seen one near us for years

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1982 on: April 18, 2024, 01:57:34 pm »
Before we got our dog Teddy I used to leave peanuts out for the Badgers and I'd put them inside a heavy cast iron Frog that was in two sections, top & bottom.      I did that idea again last night and this morning the Frog was in two sections but I don't know whether it was the Badger this time or a determined Squirrel but no more damage has been done to the lawn thank goodness

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1983 on: April 22, 2024, 03:09:40 pm »
I was having breakfast in the sun lounge this morning when a very plump female Greater Spotted Woodpecker flew onto a tree and started eating the peanuts from the nut feeder.
My camera wasn't handy and I didn't want to move as any movement usually frightens the Woodpeckers away.    She was feeding for quite a while before eventually flying off

The photo was taken some time ago