Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 539773 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1890 on: July 24, 2022, 02:19:09 pm »
The middle photo looks like a Wood Pigeon and the bottom one like a Blue Checker feral one

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1891 on: July 24, 2022, 02:19:54 pm »
World?s longest animal found on Anglesey beach has ?beauty and bite of a lion?
The Lion?s Mane jellyfish is famed for its length - and for having a 'very nasty sting'

Watch out when you go swimming as it's not that far from Llandudno

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/worlds-longest-animal-found-anglesey-24567472

Offline DVT

« Reply #1892 on: July 25, 2022, 09:30:37 am »
Having been unsuccessful for part couple of years to get a good pic of the little grebes at Bodnant Far End I finally succeeded yesterday!  Two were very close to the boathouse, and they seem fully able to look after themselves.

Another one seemed to be very close to a lone female mallard and I was wondering if it had been adopted.  I know the heron took quite a few ducklings earlier, and the adult grebe was not to be seen.  I also know there have been two broods of grebes, although only saw 3 youngsters yesterday.  Does anyone know if adoption can happen?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1893 on: July 25, 2022, 10:47:50 am »
Lovely photos DVT, it must be great working in a beautiful location like Bodnant.      Those Herons attack and eat anything, a neighbour of mine introduced 20 Koi Carp into his pond and within days a Heron had scoffed the lot.   I've even seen a photo of a Heron catching and eating a young Rabbit, not a nice sight even if it is only nature

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1894 on: July 26, 2022, 01:19:49 pm »
Two whales close to popular Gwynedd beach may have been chased there by killer orca
The pair latched onto jetski riders are they set off from Black Rock Sands

I remember a forum member posting on here that he had seen an Orca when he had been walking around the Marine Drive.    Sightings of Basking Sharks had been seen off the Little Orme coastline

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/two-whales-close-popular-gwynedd-24583694

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: London Wildlife
« Reply #1895 on: July 27, 2022, 10:11:00 am »
Goats Huh........A herd of cheeky deer are pictured making themselves at home in a suburban London neighbourhood

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1896 on: August 01, 2022, 01:29:39 pm »
This article reminded me of a walk I did many years ago.    Three of us were walking in the Nantlle Valley area one hot Summer's day and we were all in shorts.    We had to cross through a swathe of bracken and one person was lagging behind and was in the middle of the bracken when I shouted out  "watch out for the Adders"
He wasn't known or built for speed but he shot out of the bracken like a rocket,  I don't think that he's forgiven me for that

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/increased-snake-sightings-welsh-beaches-24636850

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1897 on: August 02, 2022, 10:07:45 am »
'Extremely rare' pink grasshoppers found in North Wales garden
Grasshoppers can turn pink due to a genetic mutation, known as erythrism, which causes a reddish discolouration

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/extremely-rare-pink-grasshoppers-found-24644249

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1898 on: August 03, 2022, 09:47:43 am »
Seagulls found dead along the A55 have prompted fears of a fresh outbreak of bird flu on Anglesey. This has been ruled out by the Welsh Government, leaving a mystery as to why so many birds have died.

One driver reported seeing ?tens of dead gulls? on a short section of the A55 last week. ?Between Holyhead and Bryngwran turn-off, going east, I counted 13 dead gulls,? she told North Wales Live. ?I counted them because, when I travelled in the other direction, I had seen numerous bodies.?

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mystery-tens-dead-seagulls-spotted-24655046

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1899 on: August 03, 2022, 04:03:12 pm »
I met up with Tellytubby in the Rhuddlan Nature reserve and then had a walk down the River Clwyd,   It was low water so there were many birds feeding on the sandbanks.    We then went to a pond where I used to go fishing as a young man and Tellytubby saw them first, Terrapins, really big terrapins soaking up the Sun on the other side of the pond.
Neither of us had seen them in the wild before even though we had heard stories about them.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1900 on: August 04, 2022, 10:22:06 am »
Looks like a good trip and great photos, I must admit I thought Terrapins where problematic in the UK ? 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1901 on: August 08, 2022, 10:03:03 am »
'Shocked' Snowdonia walkers report cluster of big cat sightings and 'massive pawprints'
One theory is that more sightings are being made as the national park's popularity grows - but photographic proof remains elusive

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shocked-snowdonia-walkers-report-cluster-24694830

Offline Helig

« Reply #1902 on: August 08, 2022, 10:38:34 am »
There may be more to this than appears. People tend to dismiss these reports but I had an experience just before I moved to Sanquhar. I went out for a walk one morning, it was a glorious day and I was looking round to see if I wanted to move there. I went down the lane which ran to the river Nith and as I passed a dry stone wall, I saw something brown and bushy disappear over it. I looked over but couldn't see anything in a piece of scrubby land. I had my walk and on the return had to cross an old bridge over the river Nith. I could see something standing in the middle of the bridge and as I approached it saw it was a wildcat. It was a beautiful creature and I didn't know what to do, should I cross the bridge? In the end I decided to go over it and imagined the cat would run off. Not so, it stood there as I walked over and didn't move. I stopped as I drew alongside it, said hello puss and asked him how he was (as you do). We both stood there looking at each other for a few minutes. It was a wonderful few moments. I saw the markings it had and wonderful eyes. I had only taken my keys out with me so I had nothing to take a photo. The cat didn't move so I decided to carry on with my walk. After I had crossed the bridge, I looked back and it had gone.

I didn't think that Scottish wildcats existed that far south. I found a site which wanted details of wildcat sightings and reported it to them. They said it wouldn't have been a pure wildcat but a hybrid. That meant it would have been bred with domestic cats somewhere along the line. The markings it had supported that. They told me that someone in Moniaive, a village over the hills from there, had a collection of wildcats and there had been problems with them so he released them into the wild. I think it must have originated from there as the area was wild country with hills for miles after crossing the river.

I told some of the locals who dismissed it all. Fortunately a lady I knew who worked for the council told me she had seen it in her garden a few days later. She had two cats and was worried about them being out when she saw it there.

I think there are people who get exotic pets and cannot cope with them after a while. They may release them into the wild as the chap in Moniaive had done. It was a wonderful experience which I am sure will never be repeated. Despite walking in the area for years afterwards, I never saw anything like it again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1903 on: August 10, 2022, 01:26:15 pm »
A seal conservation group has warned people to ?maintain as much distance as possible? from the animals after a spate of incidents in North Wales in recent weeks.

The North Wales Seal Research Organisation (NWSRO), which works to raise awareness about the threats facing seals in the North West, has been notified on multiple occurrences of seals being handled and thrown into the sea despite resting.

A NWSRO spokesperson said: ?We have had a number of serious disturbance incidents along the Welsh coast over the past few weeks including resting seals being handled and thrown back in the sea.

?Please remember that seals should never be closely approached on land or in the sea.

?Seals need to rest on land to build up critical oxygen and energy reserves so a sleeping seal doesn't necessarily mean it?s a poorly seal.

?If you do think something is wrong report your location to BDMLR on 01825 765 546 and continue to maintain as much distance as possible, don't post their location on social media, and keep people away until medics arrive.?

Offline SteveH

Re: Local Wildlife sort of
« Reply #1904 on: August 19, 2022, 12:34:01 pm »
Village with seagull problem introduces hilarious new 'rule' to deal with them
Visitors have been greeted with a sign dispensing 'advice' - which was definitely not written by the local council