Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546873 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1845 on: December 15, 2021, 05:37:19 pm »
If you had asked me a few months ago I'd have paid you to take him but he's calming down a bit now.     My Bonsai trees are now Bonsai stumps so I've fenced off the garden as you can see in the photo.      The wire fence is pegged down with plastic garden pegs but he has found out how to pull them up and then he crawls under the wire like a commando to wreck the top part of our garden

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1846 on: January 06, 2022, 09:52:30 am »
Alarm over seal stampedes on North Wales coast if staycation boom continues
Call for visitor caution follows disturbances to Llandudno's grey seal colony

Seaside visitors to the North Wales coast are being asked to avoid grey seal haunts amid concerns they will be disturbed and driven out to sea to die.

Some 200 seals are currently occupying a beach at the Little Orme, Llandudno, as the breeding season gets underway.

Videos shared on social media in recent months have shown people getting too close to the colony and prompting a stampede of seals into the sea.

Without sufficient rest, following long underwater hunts, they could die from exhaustion, according to North Wales Seal Research Organisation (NWSRO).

“After battling tides and currents, they build up an energy and oxygen deficit which needs to be replenished by resting up,” said NWSRO director Gem Simmons, a mariine biologist.

“If they are disturbed shortly after returning to dry land, they will quickly find themselves in trouble.”

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/alarm-over-seal-stampedes-north-22656987?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1847 on: January 07, 2022, 04:59:16 pm »
I picked the wrong time to go down to Angel Bay today as not only was it bitterly cold but it was also a high tide and the few Seals that were there were camouflaged between the rocks.
It was still nice to see them even if my visit there was very brief.   One thing I noticed was that there were a number of STOP notices on the path leading down to the beach so there is no excuse for anyone to ignore the signs and walk on the beach

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1848 on: January 30, 2022, 04:49:14 pm »
Tellytubby has been out and about in the area and has sent me some lovely photos that he has taken of birds

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1849 on: January 31, 2022, 10:06:44 am »
Excellent, lucky man. 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1850 on: February 01, 2022, 10:25:14 am »
Mountain goats take over streets in Llandudno..........or Here we go again, I know a few neighbours who have spent a lot of money on new higher fencing, and some have installed temporary netting to keep them out, not just the damage, but the mess and stink left behind is nasty.

A GROUP of goats descended from the mountains into Llandudno’s streets on Sunday 30 January.

While strolling around the streets, the gang made themselves comfortable at various spots in the town, public green spaces and people’s gardens.

The goats settled on Gloddaeth Avenue, and were a welcome $angry$surprise to townsfolk. (But not everyone)

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19889400.mountain-goats-take-streets-llandudno/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1851 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:39 pm »
Couple spot 'big black cat' that was 'the size of Labrador' while driving in North Wales   Puma 'sightings' in North Wales have become increasingly common in recent years

We often see reports like this in the papers but there is usually no evidence to support the sighting.   It's only a coincidence but a few weeks ago I was walking my dog late in the afternoon on "Dog Mountain" in Colwyn Heights and saw what I thought was a Black Labrador.
It was quite far away and my eyesight has seen better days but it was the way it leapt over the rough grass and then vanished into bramble bushes and disappeared that attracted my attention.   I looked out for the owner of the Labrador but I was the only person on the reserve at the time.
I still thought it was a Black Labrador but I kept my dog away from where the other "dog" had been just in case.
When I got home I told Mrs H about what I had seen but have never mentioned it to anyone before now.    It's just a coincidence perhaps with this recent report?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/couple-spot-big-black-cat-22973526

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1852 on: February 04, 2022, 09:43:23 am »
Mountain goats take over streets in Llandudno..........or Here we go again, I know a few neighbours who have spent a lot of money on new higher fencing, and some have installed temporary netting to keep them out, not just the damage, but the mess and stink left behind is nasty.

304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4]https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19889400.mountain-goats-take-streets-llandudno/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4[/url]

This year there seems to be more groups and more lone billies. Either that or they have become more speedy at going from one side of town to the other.
Agreed............. the mess and stink is awful, not counting the damage.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1853 on: February 04, 2022, 09:57:56 am »
It was nice to see this fine specimen as long as it's not in my back garden!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1854 on: February 04, 2022, 06:38:09 pm »
It was nice to see this fine specimen as long as it's not in my back garden!

You wouldn't have much back garden left if it was ( worse than Teddy )
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1855 on: February 08, 2022, 11:15:07 am »
Tellytubby sent me this photo of a Wood Duck that was photographed in Ruthin, it's a really beautiful looking bird

Wood Duck UK
It is one of just a few ducks with strong claws that allow it to perch in trees. ... Unlike most ducks, the wood duck nests in tree holes, and on leaving the nest the young may have to leap to the ground from great heights. This feral species is occasional but widespread in Britain.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1856 on: February 09, 2022, 04:38:33 pm »
When I opened the curtains this morning, something caught my eye, that took me a while to identify, (too early in the morning to focus), but it did come closer, and I was able to see it was a Jay, I think it is over 25 years since I last saw one.

Update on the above sighting, there were three Jay's in the garden this morning , I have seen individual birds, but assumed it was the same one.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1857 on: February 09, 2022, 04:55:41 pm »
You're so lucky to see those beautiful birds as they are normally quite shy.       Like all members of the Crow family their bird call is not the nicest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1DjzdfpncA

Offline DVT

« Reply #1858 on: February 11, 2022, 04:54:42 pm »
Odd things you can find at Bodnant ... a lone egret, a blackbird that is partly white, and a mallard that is getting very friendly with a goosander (we're waiting to see if we get any mallanders!).

Many sightings of the kingfisher(s) in past couple of weeks as well.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1859 on: February 18, 2022, 09:54:28 am »
Tellytubby was out again taking photos of birds in his area