Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546254 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1830 on: November 18, 2021, 12:16:09 am »
I haven't seen one in our garden for years but we were lucky a few years ago to see about 4 Jays together.    They were the parents and two  young Jays
A beautiful looking bird but their bird call is something else, it's easy to identify because it's so awful.    You're lucky to get a photo of it Steve because they are normally a shy bird

I think it was a stock photo, from google.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1831 on: November 18, 2021, 09:27:33 am »
I haven't seen one in our garden for years but we were lucky a few years ago to see about 4 Jays together.    They were the parents and two  young Jays
A beautiful looking bird but their bird call is something else, it's easy to identify because it's so awful.    You're lucky to get a photo of it Steve because they are normally a shy bird

I think it was a stock photo, from google.

Yes, indeed stock photo, I had difficulty focusing my eyes that early in the morning, never mind a camera, a bit late now, but camera on the window sill, ready for it reappearing. of course the usual sods law comes into force.   :-\

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1832 on: November 18, 2021, 12:29:55 pm »
This is the Jay bird song that I was talking about,  all members of the Crow family seem to make a similar cackle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL9RuZjBZs

Offline DVT

« Reply #1833 on: November 18, 2021, 04:41:17 pm »
Heard one in Bodnant this afternoon, distinctive screech, then did get a fleeting glimpse of it flying away!

For anyone visiting, I've usually seen them at the far side of the old park, near the glades.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1834 on: November 18, 2021, 05:19:17 pm »
The saga with the Squirrels in my garden is still continuing, but my heavy duty Squirrel proof peanut feeder arrives tomorrow.     However I nearly didn't need it this morning when Teddy our puppy nearly caught it in the fenced off area of our garden but thankfully Cyril the Squirrel managed somehow to escape to plunder the peanuts another time
I mentioned that the Squirrel dug small holes in the lawn to bury the peanuts he pinched, then I noticed the Wood pigeon going to those small holes and helping themselves to the nuts.      Now I have a bigger problem on my hands, Teddy the Cockerpoo is digging even bigger holes in the lawn and pinching the nuts too.
Karma comes to mind now!       

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1835 on: November 18, 2021, 05:36:40 pm »
Must be the time of year. I put out a small amout of food for the birds the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Within seconds rats were running up, pinching the food and scuttling off. Poison out, away from the birds and not putting food out at the moment. We wondered if the fact that two lots of near neighbours are doing renovations and something had been disturbed. ?{}?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1836 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:59 am »
The Squirrel proof feeder arrived this morning so I've hung it up on the tree and we'll see just how effective it is.
I've also left one of the old feeders there just in case the Great Spotted Woodpecker pays us another visit

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1837 on: November 25, 2021, 10:04:56 am »
GET up close to nature and pop along to the Binoculars and Telescopes Open Weekend this December at the RSPB Conwy nature reserve in Llandudno Junction.

This popular event, on December 4-5 from 10am-4pm, is the perfect opportunity to try binoculars and telescopes outdoors, surrounded by wildlife at the nature reserves.

It’s a fun, friendly, and interactive weekend, designed to help you select the best kit for your needs – whether for wildlife watching on your family walks, or if you’re an experienced birder or looking for a unique Christmas present.

A variety of binoculars and telescopes will be on display for you to check out, as well as friendly, impartial advice from the knowledgeable team of staff and volunteers.

Money raised through purchases at these events helps RSPB Cymru nature reserve teams to continue to deliver their wildlife conservation and advocacy work and allows thousands of people every year to get closer to nature.

The events are free to attend, with no need to book in advance.

For more information about the Binoculars and Telescopes Open Weekend and to find a full list of other events and activities on offer at our reserves, visit: events.rspb.org.uk/Cymru.                      ref pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1838 on: November 29, 2021, 10:11:14 am »
The Squirrel proof feeder arrived this morning so I've hung it up on the tree and we'll see just how effective it is.
I've also left one of the old feeders there just in case the Great Spotted Woodpecker pays us another visit

The Squirrel proof feeder works but sadly it's not storm proof and it's a casualty of the recent storm     :(
  The other cheap feeder survived intact so no doubt the Squirrels will be back

Offline SteveH

Re: Local Wildlife.........Bird Flu Emergency
« Reply #1839 on: December 09, 2021, 01:14:00 pm »
Emergency measures have been launched in Wales as the UK faces its largest ever bird flu outbreak.

Rural affairs minister Lesley Griffiths said a "lite" emergency coordination centre has been set up, with all bird keepers following strict measures, after three cases were found in Wales.

The announcement comes as the UK chief veterinary officer said the UK had a "phenomenal level" of avian flu.

Tens of thousands of farmed birds have been culled.

Ms Griffiths called on bird keepers, both domestic and industrial, to remain "vigilant and alert for signs of disease", while adopting strict biosecurity measures.

"This is now the largest ever UK outbreak of AI [avian influenza], and there is no immediate sign of the situation improving," she said.

The chief veterinary officer for Wales has confirmed three separate cases of bird flu in domestic poultry near Chirk, Wrexham, Gaerwen, Anglesey, and Crickhowell, Powys.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59590799

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1840 on: December 14, 2021, 10:33:46 am »
A bit of European news for a change...
My sister, who lives in Brittany, is well aware of the love/hate relationship some have with the goats here in Llandudno, and she has seen the many photos I have sent ...........I received a post from her this morning telling me that they are having their own wildlife problems, not as cute as ours, they woke to find their garden had been ripped up by a number of wild boar, apparently during covid their numbers have reached two million, and like our goats have started exploring residential areas, 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1841 on: December 14, 2021, 10:50:58 am »
We only need a few of those and we'd have no gardens at all !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1842 on: December 14, 2021, 06:43:57 pm »
We don't need any of those wild Boars here as our dog Teddy has gone on a wrecking spree in part of our garden.    He's done more damage to it in 10 months than the Badgers ever have over all the years.           &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1843 on: December 15, 2021, 09:17:47 am »
oh dear, 6 months on and we still miss ours. No chance of getting another unless our health imroves. Life is odd after over 5 years having a dog. Hope he calms down. x

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1844 on: December 15, 2021, 02:13:31 pm »
Hugo Mrs G is asking if Teddy needs a new home ? she is quite prepared to overlook the damage . he is a fine looking dog anyone could fall for him ,