Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546304 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1635 on: April 10, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
Trouble is the idiots don't slow down and cause accidents.
If the bushes were not there you could see them coming at speed, and act accordingly.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1636 on: April 10, 2020, 06:35:28 pm »
But the idiots are gong to cause problems regardless.  I think I would argue the other way: a good driver has a responsibility to allow for the idiots.  If bushes obscure their vision, they should slow down and ensure there's no idiot approaching before pulling out. It's not that different from pulling out of a side street, really.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1637 on: April 11, 2020, 11:40:47 am »
I seem to remember a year or two back we were inundated with large, striped, flying insects. They have a very loud buzz. Can anyone remind me what they are please? I don't want to start squirting them with anything in case they are a type of bee. Never the less, I don't fancy being stung !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1638 on: April 11, 2020, 12:47:56 pm »
Could they have been these ...
https://ask.extension.org/questions/470451

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1639 on: April 11, 2020, 01:42:52 pm »
Don't think so, they look smaller than the ones we have. They are as big as a Bumblebee, but thinner. Wondered if they are Horse Flies??

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1640 on: April 11, 2020, 02:05:10 pm »
Don't think so, they look smaller than the ones we have. They are as big as a Bumblebee, but thinner. Wondered if they are Horse Flies??

Hornets?  nasty things

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1641 on: April 11, 2020, 02:10:15 pm »
Could it be the Asian Giant Hornet?      The Asians seem to be chucking everything our way nowadays

Or perhaps it could be a Tiger Wasp, horrible big things.    One landed on the back of a guy when I was up in the mountains and no one was very quick to flick it off him

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1642 on: April 11, 2020, 03:22:57 pm »
Goodness knows, they look like a Hornet and have a very loud buzz!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1643 on: April 11, 2020, 03:29:35 pm »
Tellytubby sent me some more photos

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1644 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:12 am »
Last night we were watching a late night film when the Badger came in to the garden and set the security lights off.    I just had time to take a couple of photos before he shot of next door.
Another one appeared but shot off before I could take a photo

That cast iron Frog is in two halves and I put the food in it for the Badger and he takes the top off it to collect the food and that way we know that he has been in the garden.      The Squirrel does that trick also so we tend to put the food inside the Frog later in the day but now the Seagulls have worked it out too so we put the food in when it's dark so that the Badger can have it

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1645 on: April 28, 2020, 10:27:29 am »
Those of us who live near the coast are used to Herring Gulls calling over the rooftops, but the presence of an Osprey, the fish-catching raptor that winters in west Africa, prompts a special kind of agitation.

Last Wednesday, the gulls went up noisily and I rushed outside to watch an Osprey flap lazily over the garden.
It, or another, has drifted around Llandudno for several days. One was over Rhyl too.

These may be sub-adults that will spend the summer looking for likely places to nest and feed in future years.
Several have visited the nesting platforms of North Wales’ breeding Ospreys this week, but were quickly chased off by territorial adults.

Lockdown sightings from gardens and local walks include Dotterel on the Great Orme, Richard’s Pipit on the Little Orme, Garganey at Cemlyn Bay and Great White Egret over Llandudno Junction.

The pair on the Dyfi estuary, where a new male has replaced “ Monty” after nine seasons, are also on three eggs and are just a few days behind the Glaslyn birds.                  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/birds-ospreys-eggs-glaslyn-dyfi-18160344

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1646 on: April 30, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
Update on above........ Found both sites available on live stream..enjoy.

Glaslyn Ospreys.     LIVE STREAM WEB CAM
Our ospreys are Mrs G and Aran - Mrs G is the oldest breeding female in Wales and has been breeding here since 2004. She has successfully raised 38 chicks to date and we know she has at least 85 grand-chicks. Her first mate was Ochre 11 (1998) and together they raised 26 chicks. He failed to return in 2015 which is when she attracted her current mate Aran. They have raised 12 chicks together.
The nest is located in the stunning Glaslyn Valley, near Porthmadog in North Wales.   

More info and live cam... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJUZl9Nck4

Dyfi Ospreys          LIVE STREAM WEB CAM
Cors Dyfi Nature Reserve
The Dyfi Osprey Project is a wild osprey nest. Please know that there are scenarios that some viewers may find difficult to watch. Interactions with other wildlife, sibling rivalry and weather can impact the eggs and/or ospreys. While we hope for a successful season, remember, anything could happen. This is not Disney World.

More info and live cam     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7wpvs7OG4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1647 on: May 02, 2020, 03:59:11 pm »
Snowdonia's secretive wild goats take advantage of lockdown to visit deserted tourist hotspot
The animals have come down from the hills and have been spotted wandering around Llanberis.

On a glorious spring day with sunny skies and warm sunshine Snowdonia would expect to host thousands of visitors eager to enjoy some fresh air and spectacular views.

But the coronavirus pandemic has forced people to stay at home and the towns, villages and mountainsides are quiet and empty of people.
This unusual situation has led to some curious sights such as some normally shy and secretive feral goats wandering freely around Llyn Padarn, Llanberis.

Photographer Eleri Roberts sent these images to North Wales Live after spotting a group of them in Padarn Country Park.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdonias-secretive-wild-goats-take-18189318

I wonder if their cousins would like to visit them...........

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1648 on: May 02, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
Go halves to give them the bus fare?????

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1649 on: May 03, 2020, 10:46:50 am »
In the garden yesterday, I noticed brightly coloured birds in the tall trees, but could not identify them, I saw them a few times in the day, however during dinner, they landed on our patio, right outside the window, another first for this garden, and quite some time since I last saw one.

The European goldfinch or simply the goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis), is a small passerine bird in the finch family that is native to Europe, North Africa and western and central Asia. It has been introduced to other areas, including Australia, New Zealand and Uruguay.

The breeding male has a red face and a black-and-white head. The back and flanks are buff or chestnut brown. The black wings have a broad yellow bar. The tail is black and the rump is white. Males and females are very similar, but females have a slightly smaller red area on the face.

Sorry stock photo, Still waiting for my game camera to arrive :roll: