Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 547311 times)

Online DVT

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1605 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:41 am »
Felt very pleased with myself to get this shot at Bodnant on Wednesday!

Just got the single shot then it few away!

... and the Canada Geese are back at the Far End - this time 4 of them!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1606 on: February 29, 2020, 10:11:46 am »
A lovely photo DVT and it must have been a great sight to see.   Is it the Greater Spotted Woodpecker?

We had one in the garden some months ago but we rarely see them now even though we can hear them nearby in the woods when they are drumming

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1607 on: February 29, 2020, 10:18:46 am »
DVT great photo, you should be pleased. clappinghappy

Online DVT

« Reply #1608 on: February 29, 2020, 01:10:58 pm »
Yes, it's the Great Spotted Woodpecker (white stripe on wing rather than the speckled lesser-spotted) - and it's a male (red nape).

Iam trying to get a photo of every different bird in Bodnant Garden - I have over 20 different species so far but this is one of my best.

There are a few bird walks planned with an expert, well worth joining - see the Bodnant Garden NT website for info.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1609 on: March 03, 2020, 03:16:45 pm »
We have recently identified a pair of Dunnock's around our feeding station, which we believe have been here for some time, but assumed were Sparrows, and remembering how difficult it is to differentiate between the LBJ'S, we checked for about a week, and are now positive, however no successful photo yet, I am hopeful for a forthcoming birthday present, of a wildlife camera, meantime a stock photo and link...

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/species-profiles/focus-on-dunnock-more-interesting-than-you-think/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1610 on: March 03, 2020, 03:49:16 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your feathered friends Steve when you get your birthday present.    You'll get a lot of pleasure taking photos, just like DVT  has been doing with his new camera

I still tend to call the Dunnock a Hedge Sparrow because that's what we called them many years ago and I'm forever being corrected by my friend Tellytubby who is an expert on birds

Online DVT

« Reply #1611 on: March 03, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »
Hedge Accentor is another name for the dunnock.  Lot of them at the feeding station just inside Bodnant Garden, but I prefer to try and get pics of them perched in the branches or on the ground rather than on the feeder, so not had a really good one yet!

My camera is a Panasonic Lumix with 60 x zoom, DC FZ-82 model.  I was using burst (8 shots a second) as it didn't matter if I wavered a bit as I could pick the frame to keep, but now using straight-forward single shots which seem to give better quality, although not quite as much zoom.  Well pleased with the camera and no need to have a long inter-changeable lens to carry around.

There are some birds seen fairly often that still elude me - tree creeper and goldcrest being two of them - I'll keep trying!

In the meantime, here's a dipper - surprisingly colourful and amazing to watch as they walk under water to catch bugs.

I look forward to seeing your efforts, SteveH.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1612 on: March 05, 2020, 05:29:57 pm »
These Goats were just enjoying the sunshine on the beach by Llys Helyg Drive and feeding on the grass below the gardens of the houses there.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1613 on: March 15, 2020, 02:03:28 pm »
Welsh Mountain Zoo keepers bid emotional farewell to seal pups as they are released back into the wild

SEAL pups took a minute to find their flippers as they were released back into the sea.

The grey seal pups were released back into the wild from the beach in Penrhyn Bay following a period of rehabilitation at Colwyn Bay's Welsh Mountain Zoo.

video and photos
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18306416.welsh-mountain-zoo-keepers-bid-emotional-farewell-seal-pups-released-back-wild/

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1614 on: March 17, 2020, 12:33:54 pm »
BBC Link to Seal release

Online DVT

« Reply #1615 on: March 19, 2020, 09:15:41 pm »
As Bodnant Garden is still open, and free to get in as the staff are not permitted to make contact with visitors, other than from a distance, I took advantage of a visit this afternoon although not permitted to carry out my usual tasks.

Our Canada Geese have come and gone a couple of times over the past few weeks but it looks as though they are settled as Mrs Goose was busy making the nest as comfortable as possible - I don't think broken twigs can be very comfortable!  Mr Goose was quietly reflecting on life and probably getting ready for the impending offspring - last couple of years they have had 5 although only 2 or 3 have survived.  There have been no reports of the mink being seen since last June so hopefully he won't return.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1616 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »
Once the nest is built she will pluck her own Brest to line the nest

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1617 on: March 19, 2020, 10:07:55 pm »
ouch

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1618 on: March 23, 2020, 08:26:55 am »
We were in the kitchen last night when the security light came on and we could see a big male Badger who had come in for the peanuts that I normally leave out for the Badgers.
He was looking around for the peanuts when a small cat came into the garden, the Badger walked slowly away but the cat followed him and suddenly the cat started running and the the Badger shot off with the cat close behind
The cat was only about a third the size of the Badger so it's a good job for the cat that the Badger did run off and not stand his ground

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1619 on: March 23, 2020, 01:59:01 pm »
I noticed a few Butterflies in the garden today and managed to take a photo of a Peacock Butterfly that was feeding on a plant