Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546730 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1050 on: June 14, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »
The Welsh mountain zoo sometimes have birds go astray ?.....

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1051 on: June 14, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »
The North Wales Bird Trust at Bodafon Farm also have some escapees too but I couldn't contact them this afternoon so I  just left a message

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1052 on: July 24, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
I've tried to encourage the smaller birds into our back garden by providing feeding places in different parts of the garden.  I've also got three bird baths around the place and fill them up regularly so that the birds always have water to drink or bathe in.
Watching the Blackbirds bathing in the water is such a delight,  they are just so comical with their wings splashing  water every where.  Quite often after the Blackbirds have had a bath I've gone out and refilled the bird bath  as they have emptied the water with all the splashing about that they do.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1053 on: July 24, 2015, 05:06:54 pm »
There is at least one golden Eagle in the hills above Conwy Valley, Hugo. I've actually seen it, so I know it's there.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1054 on: July 24, 2015, 06:25:56 pm »
You are very lucky to have seen such a magnificent bird like that.      $good$

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1055 on: July 24, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »
I remember the shadow falling over us as we were walking. Almost floating as it drifted onto an outcrop. Farming friends knew of it, and have seen it several times, so whether it's an escapee or a recent immigrant, I don't know. The last mating pair I know of was in the Glyders, about 35 years ago.  I thought they'd all gone.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1056 on: July 24, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
I had a friend come over to see me many years ago and he travelled through mid Wales with the sun roof down and he saw a large bird that he had never seen before.
When he looked at my book on birds he was able to identify it as a Golden Eagle,  so that was a great start to his holiday.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1057 on: July 27, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
Have any of your farming friends had any livestock losses in the area where the bird was seen?     If they have, it could be resident to that area.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1058 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:45 am »
Their neighbours have to foxes, they suspect. But no unexplained ones, as far as I know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1059 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:38 am »
If there is no evidence of the Golden Eagle attacking livestock it could be that the bird is from Ireland and just passing over.   I wish that I had seen that Eagle like bird properly when I was driving through Pwllycrochan Woods as that was very impressive too.   My other car has a video camera on it and I could have played it back and identified it.   As it was that road is so bad I had to keep my eyes on the road and only got a brief look at the bird. 

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1060 on: July 27, 2015, 10:59:02 am »
Would its territory extend to here, d'you think?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2015, 11:07:53 am »
It's nearer than Scotland so it's a possibility.   

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: July 27, 2015, 11:59:23 am »
On the B5381 at the highest point there's a very large Raptor that we always see sitting on a pole. Never seen it in flight but it's much larger than a Buzzard.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1063 on: July 27, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »
Ian, I have also seen that bird, and in flight, but always whilst I was driving so I could not get that good a look at it, and by the time I had safely stopped and got the binoculars - of course it was gone. I have wondered what it was and have been reluctant to voice any suggestions in the presence of proper 'twichers' in fear of ridicule so I am grateful for your confirmation that I am not imagining things.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: July 27, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »
It's a magnificent bird, whatever it is. My wife's the Ornithological enthusiast - I'm just an enthusiast :-))