Author Topic: Lost or Stolen ~ Do you know the whereabout of this Llandudno home?  (Read 13218 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Lost or Stolen ~ Do you know the whereabout of this Llandudno home?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »
use www.old-maps.co.uk for old OS maps

Offline Morkins

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:14 am »
Big thankyous to everyone, Olden, dwsi, Bri Roberts, Hugo, Fester, pkevin, suepp.    In a short space of time, you have come up with good suggestions.    The aerial shot I had initially discounted, but then again over the years, additions to the house might make it look like this now.    Wish I was much closer than thousands of miles distant, to come look myself.     Meanwhile, I will see what I can find amongst the list of property names.    Cheers everyone     :)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »
Cannot help about the building, but one thing I am sure about. The jeeps etc were not practising for Dunkirk. Absolutely certain, there was no practising of anything for Dunkirk, it was just get out however you can, or die.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:53 pm »
In the 1969 Directory the listings are as follows:
Marine Drive:
St Petrocks
Y Fron
The Chalet
Hillside
Grey Gables
Coastways
The Outlook
Plas Penmon
Plas Craig
Monks Barn
Abbey Lodge
Old Abbey
Mentmore
Swn-y-Mor
Summer Place
Tinkers Revel
Orme's Head Lighthouse
Happy Valley Lodge

Llys Helig Drive:

Tides Reach
Plas Bardd
Broad Eaves
Provencal
Plas Lavan
Bron-y-Mor
Craig-y-Wylan
Nutcombe
Taybrock Moorings
Swn-y-Don
Plas Eithin

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57:37 am »
If Brian says its Plas Bardd ..... its PLAS BARDD !    $welsh$ $welsh$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Olden

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »
Cannot help about the building, but one thing I am sure about. The jeeps etc were not practising for Dunkirk. Absolutely certain, there was no practising of anything for Dunkirk, it was just get out however you can, or die.

Thanks all of you for the continuing input on identifying Morkins' old home.

And Ormegolf you will understand she was only three at the time so she obviously got a bit muddled over her "D" words...........I think she meant "D" Day.....6th June. :laugh:

Her Dad became a successful film maker after the War but was engaged at that time in classified documentary work for the war effort  :-X and she recalls being given fun rides in American Jeeps and US Officers were always around the place.

Are you or any members of this forum conversant with the Military History of Llandudno?.............on the coach tour I referred to above, we were told about German submarines which entered the Bay in an unsuccessful attempt to recover an escaped prisoner of war. Any information about what she and her father might have been part of would be fascinating.  $thanx$

Good wishes,

Olden.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »
this thread has a lot of info about the war
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=150.0

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »
The attempt to retrieve  German POW's took place during  WW1 in 1915

Two U Boats U-27 & U38 kept a rendezvous  for three nights for the three men who escaped from Dyffryn Aled  Llansannan. They made it to the rendezvous but unfortunately were in the next cove to the one in which they were being sought.  The U-boats sailed away and the three men walked into town  and were apprehended, due in no small part by local folk, one at the Tudno Hotel  and the other two later on at the Pier gates where they were offered a cab and asked to  be taken to the station, whereupon the cabbie drove them to the headquarters of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers where he alerted the sentry.

There is a full account of this in Ivor Wynne Jones' '"Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts" (2002 ed.)  the most comprehensive book ever written about Llandudno

Offline Morkins

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 03:15:31 am »
Hello everyone.   Thanks Olden, you are correct, although it was an Aussie doctor who was in the Oz Army who supplied the info re Dunkirk, although maybe I have remembered the "D" wrong, he's no longer on the planet to confirm.  Could have  been officers planning campaigns, or similar? Hugo, I will PM you, thankyou.

Offline Olden

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

Thanks Sue pp for the details of the U-boat story and the wonderful WW2 thread. Looks like the Americans featured fairly heavily in your town during WW2. Presumably mainly gunnery?..........or did it go deeper; I don't just mean the bunkers!  :-X

Olden.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »

Thanks Sue pp for the details of the U-boat story and the wonderful WW2 thread. Looks like the Americans featured fairly heavily in your town during WW2. Presumably mainly gunnery?..........or did it go deeper; I don't just mean the bunkers!  :-X

Olden.

Click this link for more info:

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »
it's the same link!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »
it's the same link!

So it is. Sorry, it's been a long day.  :-X

Offline Chris H

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:48 pm »
Hello to you all.   I am the little girl (considerably older these days) in the photo Olden kindly posted here, pic taken around 1942.     Thankyou for the replies.    I don't think the property is Plas Craig, does not look high enough above the water.     There is a photo of a semi-derelict house, on this site re Great Orme, with a similar gateway down to the beach, now wondering if that could be the place.    Living the other side of the world now, I'm very grateful for any info or photos.     Also, anyone here old enough to remember my father filming a documentary with American Jeeps and Officers about the place, I've been told possibly something to do with practicing for Dunkirk, or similar.   Sorry to be so vague.    Again, thankyou you all for the replies.   :)

I think that documentray may still be in existence.  If you look for the Imperial War Museum on Google, you can ask the photography and film department.  I think that Mr David Parry is the man you need to ask...