Author Topic: Craig Y Don  (Read 88658 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Craig Y Don
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 06:37:58 pm »
but will the other three approaches have elderly people crossing that can't move very fast or mums with prams etc. ?  

If you'd ever tried to cross the road at that roundabout, the bigger traffic island will be appreciated. Please think of others, such as elderly people that cant move very fast or mums with prams etc.

BTW, which side of Mostyn Avenue will the new cycle route be?

Outside St Pauls Church or the other side of the road ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »
The cycle route just goes down the road, there's no actual separate path, I think. That's why the traffic island was expanded, so that a cyclist coming from the direction of the Links could cross over safely to the St Pauls side of Mostyn Ave and then cycle through Craig Y Don etc.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
Surely, the cyclist will be travelling along the new cycle route through C-y-D and not along Mostyn Avenue or will the cyclist have a choice ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 08:22:50 pm »
Mostyn Ave is the cycle route, the cyclist just travels along the road as they do at present. According the plans I looked at, the changes are mainly additional signage and a couple of modifications to traffic islands etc to make it a bit safer. Done on the cheap, without a doubt!  8)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 07:10:15 am »
It's not in the middle for a reason, Bri. To slow down the traffic approaching the roundabout from CYD.

Getting back to the point in question, I still believe the new island is a danger to motorists.

Anybody driving down Mostyn Avenue and wanting to turn right at the roundabout to go onto the promenade will indicate so and move towards the centre of the road.

However as the motorist slows down and moves alongside the new large island, the shape and positioning of the new island forces the motorist over to the left.

If a vehicle is passing on the inside then a collision is likely.

Don’t take my word for it, get in your car and try it.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »
I don't think Dave has a car.  :-X

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:02 am »
Anybody driving down Mostyn Avenue and wanting to turn right at the roundabout to go onto the promenade will indicate so and move towards the centre of the road.

However as the motorist slows down and moves alongside the new large island, the shape and positioning of the new island forces the motorist over to the left.

If a vehicle is passing on the inside then a collision is likely.
I took a look at it yesterday afternoon. My guess would be that the entry onto the roundabout will now be a single lane, rather than the two as at present. Obviously, the road markings will be altered at some point..

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:10 am »
If you'd ever tried to cross the road at that roundabout, the bigger traffic island will be appreciated. Please think of others, such as elderly people that can't move very fast or mums with prams etc.

I was in town, yesterday, from 0830 until the afternoon, and Dave's comment struck home rather forcibly.  At one point we'd parked in the Big Mostyn C's car park, in the quietest patch, about mid-car park, having navigated the totally unsuitable mini-roundabout at Staples, and we had to walk across the road to B & Q.  With cars arriving from left and right, and cars leaving in the same directions from both car parks, what should have been a relatively simple stroll evolved into a nightmare of dodging, weaving and  - at one particularly memorable point - standing in the middle of the road, simply because had we waited for the road to become totally clear, we'd still have been there, I suspect.

At the very least, a crossing is needed between the two car parks, although some form of bridge would be preferable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 11:56:33 am »
Ian, you are referring to the desperate need of a pedestrian crossing across Mostyn Broadway from the rear of Currys/PC World over the road to the pavement alongside the bus stop at the rear of Venue Cymru.

wrex has been suggesting that on this forum for more years than I care to remember.

I support everything wrex says because that is another accident waiting to happen.

The bigger traffic island, which DaveR is referring to in this C-y-D thread, is the new island approaching the roundabout outside Broadway Boulevard when approaching from C-Y-D.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:24 pm »
The road that leads into the Venue Cymru car park from Mostyn Broadway is also very dangerous for pedestrians, as cars just turn in without checking to see if anyone is crossing. There should be a traffic island built there as well.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:54 pm »
Perhaps, CCBC should have designed the entrance/exit to Venue Cymru car park opposite the entrance to the Champneys with your roundabout in the middle of Mostyn Broadway..  D)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:49 pm »
 :o Behave Brian ,CCBC don;t do common sense.Look at the damn lights on the other exit,9 seconds their on Green for,its a JOKE.If Cll P Evans could drive i assure you it would have been sorted by now. ZXZ

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
Look at the damn lights on the other exit,9 seconds their on Green for

I never knew that.

No wonder there is always gridlock on Mostyn Champneys at peak times of exiting onto Conway Road.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »
 You normally would exit onto Broadway to get home,my exit is the lights,but as you know Bri it can be a nightmare getting onto Broadway. ZXZ

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »
This morning, traffic lights and cones arrived in Clarence Crescent.

They stretch from the roundabout outside Broadway Boulevard down to the junction with Clarence Drive.

The kids go back to school tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how long the queues will tail back to the Links Hotel before 9am in the morning.

I would imagine it will also affect the traffic flow along Mostyn Broadway from C-y-D towards the Swimming Centre.

Let's hope they won't be there for too long.  $good$

What a pity nobody thought of carrying out what work needs to be done over the Easter holidays.