Author Topic: Health  (Read 68552 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Health....Hay Fever sufferers warned
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2023, 10:36:24 am »
Hay Fever sufferers are being urged to take action and be prepared amid the start of the 'severe season'.

The warning comes as 'alarming' levels of pollen are expected to arrive as the warmer weather hits much of the UK, with this year expecting pollen to be 'higher than usual'.

Many who suffer from hay fever may have already started to experience what comes along with the allergy.

Including the likes of itchy and watery eyes, sore throats, sneezing and for some, difficulty breathing.

Now the warning has come as there's set to be the highest levels of birch pollen.

According to Allergy UK, birch pollen " typically causes allergic rhinitis symptoms in the nose and eyes, but can also cause symptoms in the oral /pharyngeal mucosa referred to as Pollen Food Syndrome or oral allergy syndrome."

The University of Worcester's Dr Beverley Adams-Groom has warned of the high levels of birch pollen, sharing: "We have already seen the hazel and alder tree pollen allergens, which flower in late winter, produce and emit particularly high amounts of pollen this year," she said.

"The only limiting factor could be if we have a particularly wet April, which might limit pollen dispersal, but assuming we have a normal level of rainfall... the result will be a severe season."

Hay fever is an allergic reaction to pollen and is highly dependent on weather conditions.

Offline SteveH

Re: Health
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2023, 11:19:35 am »
I am a great believer in the beneficial properties of honey, I drink two honey, lemon and ginger drinks every day, summer and winter.

Cardiff scientists look at honey as drug alternative

Honey has been used for thousands of years to treat wounds, but scientists are now using it in a search for alternatives to antimicrobial drugs.

It follows concern about infections caused by bacteria resistant to antibiotics.

"We need to do something innovative, otherwise we face the scenario where we return to the pre-antibiotic stage," said a Cardiff University expert.

Antibiotic resistance is described as a major threat to global human health.

According to the largest study to date and published in the Lancet medical magazine, more than 1.2 million people died worldwide in 2019 as a direct result of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections.

"We're seeing bacteria that has evolved, that is resistant to almost all antibiotics, and we are reaching the stage where the cupboard is empty," said Prof Les Baillie from the university's School of Pharmacy.

"Before antibiotics we used herbal and traditional remedies to treat diseases.

"We have gone back to these traditional remedies to see if we can learn from our ancestors."

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65233103

Offline SteveH

Re: Health........melanoma cases rise
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2023, 10:15:03 am »
Skin cancer: Health warning as non-melanoma cases rise

The rise in non-melanoma skin cancer cases in Wales is very concerning, Public Health Wales has said.

Figures show a 7% increase over four years, with the rate the highest across the UK nations.

One woman said she was "shocked" by her cancer diagnosis, despite having spent a lot of time tanning in the sun.

The British Association of Dermatologists said the tanning "fashion" and fair skin were among the reasons for the high number of cases.

Non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) is the most common form of cancer in Wales, ahead of prostate cancer.

The name non-melanoma distinguishes more common types of skin cancer from the less common and potentially more serious type of the disease known as melanoma.

PHW figures show the number of NMSC cases increased by 7.1% between 2016 and 2019 - from 13,369 to 15,102.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65399970

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2023, 03:25:30 pm »
I can vouch for that Steve as I have had five minor surgery  operations for skin cancer since lockdown and any day soon I'll be going for a 6th minor op.
I've been lucky because I haven't had to have chemo or radiotherapy and not one was melanoma thank goodness.
The only advice I can give is to put factor 50 sunscreen on and wear protection on your head.    I wear a wide brimmed hat if possible when I'm out walking now but otherwise a cap but the cap didn't stop me getting skin cancer on both ears
Enjoy the sunshine but remember the Sun is still strong even in the UK

Offline SteveH

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2023, 10:01:49 am »
Sorry to hear your news, a few of my old golfing buddies have the same problem, I have been lucky so far, but my older skin cannot take the sun as before, by coincidence we have placed an order yesterday, for a new umbrella and canopy.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2023, 10:03:27 am »
I signed up with ZOE Prof Tim Spectors Health Science and Nutrition programme, and have received regular updates on various subjects over the last year, I will post the link below on todays subject, but if you are interested there are other links in the heading, you can listen to the Podcasts or read the long or short versions of the transcript.......

Omega-3 supplements: Why you're (probably) wasting your money
COVID-app-1
Written by
ZOE Editorial Staff

Fish oil. The name doesn?t sound too appealing. But surprisingly, these supplements and their more pleasantly named constituents, omega-3s, are a topic of much debate.

You've probably seen omega-3s advertised on labels, from nuts to seeds, and even eggs. But are these fats really healthy for us, or is this just another food myth?

In today?s short episode of ZOE Science & Nutrition, Jonathan and Sarah ask: Is your fish oil and omega-3 intake so important?

cont https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-omega-3-supplements

I would be interested to know if there is interest in future posts from ZOE

Offline SteveH

Re: Health.......A "very concerning" rise in Measles
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2023, 10:43:50 am »
A "very concerning" rise in the number of people catching A "very concerning" rise in the number of people catching measles in the UK has been reported by health officials.

The virus spreads incredibly easily and a fall in vaccination rates is leaving more children vulnerable to infection.

There were 54 cases of measles in the whole of last year. However, there have already been 49 in the first four months of 2023.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is encouraging parents to ensure their children's vaccinations are up to date.

The main symptoms of measles are a fever and a rash. But it can cause more serious complications including meningitis, and an infection can be fatal.

That is why the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is part of routine childhood immunisations.in the UK has been reported by health officials.

The virus spreads incredibly easily and a fall in vaccination rates is leaving more children vulnerable to infection.

There were 54 cases of measles in the whole of last year. However, there have already been 49 in the first four months of 2023.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is encouraging parents to ensure their children's vaccinations are up to date.

The main symptoms of measles are a fever and a rash. But it can cause more serious complications including meningitis, and an infection can be fatal.

That is why the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is part of routine childhood immunisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65481976

Offline SteveH

« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2023, 10:18:01 am »
Scrap tax on sunscreen, say cancer charities

Value added tax - better known as VAT - should be scrapped on sunscreen to make it more affordable, say several UK cancer charities.

Sunscreen is classified as a "cosmetic" product and carries a 20% tax, adding around ?1.50 to the cost of a bottle.

Charities want high-factor protective creams to be VAT exempt, citing the cost-of-living crisis which has seen many struggling to buy essential items.

Most skin cancers are caused by sun damage.

There are several types of skin cancer, and melanoma is the most dangerous, as well as the most common type among young people in the UK - with cases on the rise.

If untreated, the cancer can spread to other areas of the body.

Sunbeds also increase the risk of skin cancer, with some delivering greater doses of UV rays than the midday tropical sun.

"Few realise that getting painful sunburn just once every two years can triple your risk of skin cancer," said Dr Louise Soanes, Chief Nurse, Teenage Cancer Trust.

"Preventing skin cancer by using an effective sun cream is essential - and sun cream shouldn't be a luxury that only some can afford."

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65557091

Offline SteveH

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2023, 09:45:50 am »
Not quite NHS, but Good Luck to her, it will be a great help to a lot of people................

A WOMAN from Rhyl is preparing to launch her own domestic cleaning business for homes across North Wales.

Kerry Kennealey, 33, hopes to have ?KK Cleaning? up and running by the end of May.

She will be running the business as well as continuing her role as a support worker for ?Age Connects North Wales Central?, a charity providing services for those aged 50+, their families and their carers.

Further down the line, Kerry hopes to expand her business by also offering a companionship service, something she is already involved in through her work with Age Connects.

Kerry said: ?I enjoy what I do with Age Connects as well, but for my own mental health, I decided that I wanted to start my own business.

?It will cover Rhyl, and probably up to 15-20 miles outside of Rhyl, so it will be quite a vast area.

?At the moment, I check in with people if their loved ones are on holiday, and sit and have a cup of tea and a chat with them. That?s the service that I?m wanting to offer in the future, as well.?

If you are interested in getting in touch with Kerry regarding her cleaning business, you can visit her Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100092511313887.

As well as being DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)-checked, she is also COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)-trained.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23529949.rhyl-woman-start-domestic-cleaning-business-across-north-wales/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: Health.....Vitamin D results from increased doses
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2023, 04:41:46 pm »
An update on Vitamin D doses, as most know, I believe in this vitamin and its aid to immunity, most of it posted on the Covid thread, with links to Dr John Campbell, here is his latest short video.... with results from increased doses of Vit. D.........

486,559 views  15 May 2023
Daily oral dosing of vitamin D3 using 5000 TO 50,000 international units a day in long-term hospitalized patients:

Insights from a seven year experience taken from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/

cont video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_t-EQIy0s

Offline SteveH

« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2023, 09:49:59 am »
More on Vitamin D........

Daily dose of common vitamin can cut cancer death risk by 12%, new study finds
'Vitamin D3 supplementation probably does not protect against developing cancer, but it could reduce the likelihood of dying from cancer'

A daily dose of vitamin D could 'reduce the likelihood' of dying from cancer by up to 12 per cent, according to a new study conducted by German researchers.

The researchers analysed 14 studies comprising 105,000 people, with around 15 per cent being vitamin D deficient over a year. The figure rose to 59 per cent amongst colorectal cancer patients and was aligned with poor prognoses, reports HullLive.

The human body creates the vitamin when exposed to sunlight, but it is also present in oily fish like salmon, red meat, liver and egg yolks. The common vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in cancer patients, with researchers observing a 'statistically significant' 12 per cent reduction in cancer mortality amongst the ten studies that included daily dosing.

Researchers only investigated high-quality studies, with participants randomly assigned to the vitamin D3 or placebo arm when studying the vitamin's effectiveness. They discovered that a daily low dose of 400 to 4,000 IU (international units) daily was more effective than a larger dose of 60,000 to 120,000 IU once monthly or less.       I use 2,000 IU per day, every day, summer and winter

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/daily-dose-common-vitamin-can-26956430?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2023, 10:20:56 am »
A doctor told me recently that it was safe to take up to 4000iu of Vitamin D3 a day. I take 2000iu all year round.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2023, 10:24:16 am »
Vaping: High lead and nickel found in illegal vapes

Vapes confiscated from school pupils contain high levels of lead, nickel and chromium, BBC News has found.

Used vapes gathered at Baxter College in Kidderminster were tested in a laboratory.

The results showed children using them could be inhaling more than twice the daily safe amount of lead, and nine times the safe amount of nickel.

Some vapes also contained harmful chemicals like those in cigarette smoke.

High levels of lead exposure in children can affect the central nervous system and brain development, according to the World Health Organization.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65614078

Offline SteveH

« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2023, 10:04:56 am »
Update on above..........How many years was it before we knew the harm cigarettes caused  :o

A teacher has called for the UK to take "a leaf out of Australia's book" by bringing in stricter laws on vaping.

Under new laws in Australia vapes will be available by prescription only.

Teacher and union secretary UCAC Chris Shaw added: "They as a country banned vapes for everybody except those on plans from their GPs and that seems to be a sensible way forward."

On Tuesday, the UK government said it would close a loophole allowing shops to give free vape samples to children.

The Welsh government said it would publish its plan for preventing children and young people vaping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65753868

Offline SteveH

Re: Health...........Migraines
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2023, 10:16:24 am »
The NHS is set to offer a medicated wafer that dissolves under the tongue to help prevent debilitating migraines.

Rimegepant, taken every other day, will be available only to adults who have tried at least three other preventative drugs and still have migraines on between four and 15 days every month.

It stops a protein that causes severe pain being released around the brain.

About 145,000 people a year could be offered it - but campaigners say some who could benefit may miss out.

Injections can target the same protein, calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) - but this is the first oral option. And other medications - including beta-blockers, antidepressants and epilepsy drugs - do not work for everyone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65766225